New DSD downloads from Acoustic Sounds - Superhirez.com

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jojopuppyfish, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member Thread Starter

2. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

"Our customers like the warm sound" - what nonsense, why should DSD be "warmer" than any other digital source, and if it is, that's a fault not a feature!

Tim

3. jojopuppyfish

I am assuming from the article that they use a different file format than FLAC

4. Claude

Claude Senior Member

5. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

While I applaud the effort, I am skeptical based on the pricing, selection, seriously niche market that can actually playback DSD via CPUs/DACs, and as @onlyconnect already pointed out, the ridiculous, "...our customers like the warm sound..." quote.

Also:

Compared to the standard CD, the DSD download had richer sound -- and much more warmth than the portable version on my iPod.

vmanu2 likes this.
  6. Claude

Claude Senior Member

It's USA Today, not Stereophile. Not really worth analyzing.

The important thing is that DSD masterings are now alternatively made available in DSD, without additional PCM conversion. It will remain a niche product for owners of DSD file playback. Most new recordings and remasterings are made in PCM, and will be released in PCM.

7. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Agreed as re: Snider's 'review', but Kassem (founder of Acoustic Sounds) should know better than to say, "our customers like the warm sound".

I hope I don't sound too dissentious...I like lossless/high-res audio and am waiting - desperately - for someone to come along and do it right.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  8. jojopuppyfish

can I burn dsd to a cd?
    I did read in the article that I can put the dsd files onto a usb and put them on the back of the Oppo

9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I can confirm that. I have been ripping my SACDs (using a PS3 and sacd-ripper) and the Oppo reads them via one of the standard USB inputs (not the asynchronous).

Edit - just looked at the choices, and I'll probably download one of the Holly Cole titles and one or two others.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  10. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Foobar2000 with the SACD plugin will convert DSD to PCM. Even to MP3 ;)

But if you buy music downloads only to burn audio CDs, there is not point in buying (more expensive) hi-rez files in the first place.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  11. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

if they are the ones controlling the mastering process for the finished product, then I can see the extra cost. but if the record label is supplying the same junk as what's on iTunes but in DSD form, someone is making a killing for no reason other than sucker audiophiles will pay for it. $25 for a download? it boggles my mind. Maybe an extra dollar for bandwidth to download a larger file....

c-eling and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  12. john greenwood

Most of the titles I saw exist as SACDs. (Some were simply unfamiliar to me, so they may all exist as SACDs.) I think it's pretty reasonable to presume you get the equivalent SQ of the discs. The titles include several of the Nat King Cole recordings done by our host. I suspect they are a pretty safe bet.

13. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

the point is they are removing the lions share of the cost of production of physical product....yet charging almost the same money.

Mabutu, Pinknik, HAmmer and 4 others like this.
  14. Claude

Claude Senior Member

For the Nat Cole album, the DSD download costs 30% less than the SACD ($25 vs $35). I don't think the manufacturing cost is 30% of the SACD price.

15. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

Does the site (Acoustic Sounds) have an area that just shows the available downloads? I can't find it.

16. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

Maybe Alison Krauss' SACDs will be available soon for download.

17. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

18. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Here is my prediction:
    "Tea for the Tillerman" will sound significant better on DSD download compared to the hybrid SACD :)

Other albums will also sound a bit better as DSD downloads, everything else equal.

19. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

I agree - downloads should cost a fraction of the price of physical media.

goodiesguy, HAmmer and Davidmk5 like this.
  20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

No interest for downloads :o

21. john greenwood

No, my point was that we are not getting the "same junk as what's on iTunes" (your language from your prior post). We are getting a high rez product. We can get it in a physical form for $30-$35 (maybe less if ImportCDs has it) or we can get it in download form for $25. I take it you would like to see AcousticSounds lower its price some more. Ain't gonna happen. At this point in time, at least, DSD downloads are a smaller niche even than SACDs and the price reflects that.

I should add that for people who do not have the capability to rip SACDs, the physical format is arguably the less secure. As long as I keep backups of my files I can be reasonably assured that I will have the music forever. What happens if a SACD is damaged?

22. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Press release

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ounds-Hits-High-Note-Advanced-High-Resolution

23. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I love this announcement. :goodie: Especially if, they open up the catalog by next year.

Grant and john greenwood like this.
  24. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Gadzooks is this horribly misleading (from the press release):

The content can then be easily transferred to virtually any music system and played back via an array of software and hardware options all available directly on the Super HiRez site.

Downloaded DSD can be easily transferred to virtually any music system?!?

sunspot42 and rxcory like this.
  25. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Can anyone who bites and downloads anything from superhirez.com please advise as to whether/not they come w/artwork, liners, digital booklets, etc.?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.