New DSD downloads from Acoustic Sounds - Superhirez.com

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jojopuppyfish, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I don't know. I do know that DACs like Universal disk players tend to favor one of the formats. If you use one for sometime you will know.

The rest is really a crap shoot (which is one of the reasons this forum is so popular). If you don't have a DSD DAC, I would suggest buying the PCM version as I don't know how transparent JRiver is and I like to keep things as simple as possible.

mindblanking likes this.
  2. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

From what I've seen so far it's definitely on a case-by-case basis on which files sound better from where, and you also bring up a great point that there will be an aspect on how well your system decodes DSD versus PCM or vice-versa.

mindblanking likes this.
  3. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Very true, My Oppo/Onkyo seems to prefer PCM, as the DSD straight (My Onkyo can decode DSD through HDMI) didn't sound all that great

5. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Thanks for the response. It seems like, at least for my ears, I tend to like PCM better. Sounds more life like. I have some incredible sacds. Bu it's always the DVD A stuff that seems to put me "in the room."

6. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

7. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

8. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Do we now get PCM recordings/transfers as DSD-converted downloads?

9. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

10. Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy Forum Resident

The listing for Tumbleweed Connections says "DSD file created by Gus Skinas from the original DSD audio used to create the existing SACD."

LeeS likes this.
  11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

OK - so I bought the SACD of Tumbleweed Connection for about $13. Why do the files from the same source cost twice that?

rgutter, art and vonwegen like this.
  12. Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy Forum Resident

I don't know. You would have to ask Acoustic Sounds about their pricing structure.

oopap likes this.
  13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

It's so they can make considerably more money without having to manufacture, store or ship anything. Likewise, I assume the amount paid to the artist hasn't changed (unless it's gone down some). Genius.

14. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Yes, for every SACD there is a DSD master. But the original recording can be analogue, PCM or DSD.

There would be no point in offering DSD files made from a PCM recording or PCM transfer, instead of PCM files. It's an additional conversion.

Was the David Sanborn album recorded in DSD (the CD says "DDD", so it was not an analogue recording)? Were the reissues of analogue recordings directly transfered to DSD or mastered in PCM?

15. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

The website does not specify if this is the 5.1 mix or the stereo. Huge difference in sound quality between the two, as the stereo mix tape is with the original, rather lo-fi mixes.

16. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

17. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

18. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

For all these DSD downloads:
    Availability: In Stock
    :laugh:

You don't have to pre-order, you don't have to wait for annonced releases for month after months and maybe never showing up in the end...

19. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

20. I imagine those CCRs are Steve's masterings.

21. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  22. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Those SACDs don't sound particularly good so why bother. You would have to be a serious fan.

23. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I like them both.

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You mean the old BOSTON SACD? It stunk so bad I got rid of it. The old CD was much better, no pointless treble boost. One of the few original Sony SACD's that I didn't care for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.