New DSD downloads from Acoustic Sounds - Superhirez.com

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jojopuppyfish, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Yes, I suppose caveat emptor applies to anything anyone sells, ever.

But at least if Acoustic Sounds advertises a product you purchase as a "180 Gram Vinyl Record" and they instead send you needle-drop burned to a CD-R, you typically have some recourse to say "hey, you sent me the wrong thing!" and likely get it exchanged or refunded.

In the specific case of Acoustic Sounds' "Super HiRez" store, they are explicitly advertising a product that "... offers audio quality that far surpasses that of the CD..." and is "audiophile-quality." That sounds pretty close to a guarantee to me.

Yet when I contact them to ask about specific titles, and they respond by saying they have ZERO information about the source, then it does indeed open up the possibility that they might have received from the record label - and are passing on to their customers who are paying a premium price - a digital download that is sourced from a 44.1kHz/16-bit CD. Basically, THEY claim that they don't even know what they're selling. Yet they reassure/promise us on their own website that whatever we buy and download from Super HiRez will be far superior to a CD. How can they seem so certain conceptually in their marketing copy, yet be so uncertain in reality when I contact them directly?

That's troubling to me.

Most needle-drops, soundboard recordings of live shows, etc., on torrent sites provide vastly more detailed and informative lineage information than "legitimate" digital download retailers like Super HiRez and HDTracks.

Craig.

2. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

3. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

4. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

5. shucky ducky

shucky ducky Forum Resident

Michael Jackson - Thriller
    While listening to this DSD file tonight, I remembered back to that first time I heard hi-rez music played back properly. All the adjectives apply here. I whole heartily agree with your observations above. I'm looking forward to being further amazed by more of these DSD downloads.

6. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Has anyone listened to the MLP Starker Bach Cello Suites? Anyone know the background behind the files they are selling? (Ie., provided by someone, ripped directly off of a retail SACD, etc.)

7. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

8. SD238

SD238 New Member

I saw the DSD files for Aerosmith's Toys In The Attic so I was praying they would upload the DSD files for the unreleased Rocks SACD.

I asked if they would upload the DSD files for Rocks and they told me they can only upload what the label has given them.

9. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Can you tell if the DSD files on Acoustic Sounds for Toys are the same as for the old SACD?

10. watchnerd

watchnerd Forum Resident

What DACs are you guys using to decode DSD? And I assume you're feeding those DACs straight from a computer or NAS?

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

12. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

13. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

14. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

15. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

16. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Yes.

18. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Be warned, both these SACD's are brickwalled.

19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

20. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Really? I've never heard either one, but that's the first I can recall someone claiming that. Plus most of the early Sony SACDs, while not perfect, are not brickwalled at all.

22. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Most of them are okay, but a few are compressed and I have the waveforms to prove it.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Compressed and brickwalled are two different things...which is it?

24. Claude

Claude Senior Member

25. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.