New DSD downloads from Acoustic Sounds - Superhirez.com

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jojopuppyfish, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I so want to hear this!

2. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the DSD of Lynyrd Skynyrd S/T with the 2013 MFSL SACD?

art likes this.
  3. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

If you're talking about "HDTracks", their official policy is that you have a grace period (fairly generous, I think it was 60 or 90 days) during which, if some files disappear from your download location, the HDTracks downloader will make you whole again by re-downloading, just by launching the software. (What this means for me personally is that I have to leave files in their download locations, in addition to backing up, for a couple of months so that they do not re-download automatically).

In recent weeks, however, the downloader has re-grabbed some files that I bought a long long time ago, and thought would have timed out by now: The Stones' "London Years" box (purchased 09/2016), the Supremes' "Where Did our Love Go?" , and "Prince" (self-titled), both purchased April 2016.

No idea why, but again - official policy is that you have a couple weeks to get your backups done, and after that, they're through with replenishing your inbasket.

4. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Depends on the music download site.

For example, at NativeDSD Music, all of your purchased downloads remain in your account permanently.
    They can be re-downloaded at any time.

https://www.nativedsd.com/

5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Nothing lasts forever. I learned today that 2 7digital purchases I made (Sparks' "Plagiarism" and Motorhead/Girlschool "Please Don't Touch" track from their best-of album) cannot be re-downloaded. And of course, a private company can always go belly-up, in which case the number of re-downloadables goes to 0.

6. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Time to ask 7-Digital if they will extend their re-downloadable policy to match other download sites.

7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

7digital and Bandcamp are top-of-class in this service category. Why would I want them to "match other download sites" whose policy is usually "Hope that download was successful!" (or in the case of CDBaby, "No more FLAC soon! Grab 'em while you can!")

Some things are beyond their control, economics above all.

8. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

What happened here? I see all they're offering is 320kbps and they have some titles that are only available on their site digitally.

I saw this and have no idea what they're talking about.
    Why was the flac option removed?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I wonder if acts were just blowing MP3s up into flac format, posting them for sale, and customers noticed and spoke up? CDBaby gets a lot of content. I can see them not examining each upload for integrity. I'm sure that, while a lot of the great unwashed throw a fit at support when they find themselves with a purchased flac and it doesn't play in itunes, they don't strike me as cdbaby's base.

10. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

That works good, my question is, what is the syntax to edit the cue file to have it point to the DFF on a subfolder? I burn several of these to a BD-50 and I hate having the album listed 3x. one for .cue, one for .dff, and one for .JPG of the album cover. I'd like the album listed once and point it to the DFF on another folder.

Oppo 205 player.

11. rcrawley

rcrawley Gotta keep on movin and groovin...

So true...data (especially music) loss just hurts. I'm a big fan of multiple hard drive backups along with a cloud backup solution that supports unlimited sizes (key for a large HD audio library): Carbonite, CrashPlan, iDrive, even something like AWS Glacier if you're into that kind of thing (and you're OK hoping you never have to pay retrieval costs). Well worth ~$100/year, plus a few hundred every few years in hard drive costs, in my opinion.

David Bostock likes this.
  12. rcrawley

I've posted about this before elsewhere in these forums, but FWIW the support team at HDTracks just rocks it (pun intended, I'm sure). I've engaged with them twice over the years -- once on missing/stuck files and another on questioning a source/mastering glitch (to which they went back to the record company to verify the "glitch" really was intentional, now that's service) -- and they're a class above almost every other site I've dealt with (spoiler: check my upcoming post on the horrors of TopSpin...stay tuned...).

So I'd suggest always starting directly with them if you have any issues with lost content.

13. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Most NAS Drive solutions (Synology for example) have built in backup modules that make connecting to services like Azure Blob storage super easy. I have move then a terabyte and its under my free $50 a month developer allowance.

rcrawley and bru87tr like this.
  14. rcrawley

Great tip, I didn’t realize NAS solutions included cloud backup but makes total sense.

15. nikosvault

art likes this.
  16. art

art Senior Member

17. nikosvault

nope

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It is unlikely they are selling either the SHM-SACD or the MoFi SACD mastering as there is no precedent for it, but you never know.

19. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Highly unlikely, I would agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.