New Elvis 1970 box set "From Elvis In Nashville" due 20th November 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I may be completely wrong but is film conversion to video/blu-ray whatever really quite expensive compared to say audio transfer and even then old reels of tape need mixing transferring etc.?

JimmyCool likes this.
  2. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

This made me laugh! Spot on.

Hep Alien and Flaming Torch like this.
  3. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

It seems that the Nashville 1970 set will be called "From Elvis in Nashville". Amazon Germany lists a two-disc version to be released on August 7.

From Elvis in Nashville

MRamble, JLGB, KDubATX and 1 other person like this.
  4. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

When I first clicked on that Amazon.de link it said "Label: Memphis Recording Service", that's a UK based grey market label.
    But now it says "Label: Rca Victor/Legacy" ...

The ASIN number is B088VYR2TS, and is not available at Amazon.com.
    We'll see what it really is.

5. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

I guess that will disappoint lots of fans then who were looking forward to a big Boxset. Difficult to imagine there will be anything g in here that we have not got on FTDs three albums that cover this big session.

of course we are assuming it is Nashville 70 and not Nashville across his career. ;) Nothing would surprise me the way Sony control the catalogue.

6. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Is it possible there may be a 2 CD version for the mass market and a collector's edition that is more comprehensive for the collectors? I am still sore that they made a big deal of live 1969 and underplayed the complete American studio set.

RSteven likes this.
  7. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

8. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

A Vegas 1970 set, then came a 1969 set and now a Nashville 1970 set.

If the stage isn't set for a 1972 box by 2022 then I give up.

9. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I am happy that it will be a mainstream release with great mastering and mixes.

Crimson Witch and RSteven like this.
  10. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Don’t be shocked. They screwed the pooch on Memphis ‘69.

MRamble likes this.
  11. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

How do you know it is going to be great mastering and mixing. Weren’t similar things written about the Vegas 69 set before it had been released and then lots didn’t like it when it eventually came out.

JimmyCool and Pelvis Ressley like this.
  12. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

A little bird told me. We will see when it is eventually released.

minkahed and RSteven like this.
  13. CowboyBill

I downloaded the Vegas 69 set and was happy I kept my FTD releases. Those sound so much better.

14. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

indeed we will, when it comes out - fingers crossed as there are some great tracks recorded within these 5 days, but history has told us in the past that fans getting excited over remixed/remastered releases have often found that the releases do not meet their expectations. I can even remember a few fans who wrote on forums about how amazing the book that was in the 68 TV Special 50th box was going to be only to find they too were disappointed. And of course it doesn’t necessarily stop with Elvis - some Beatles fans were disappointed with recent remixes/remastered versions of Pepper. Personally, I have never had a problem with these things and I can always go back to the original Elvis approved versions if I wish.

But back to this forthcoming set, it will be interesting to see how Sony market this set...why they chose a physical mainstream for this and not the more historic Memphis session, and what this new set will contain, ie all masters from the sessions plus selected outtakes or selected masters and outtakes. And of course whether FTD will do a similar sessions set like they did with American Sounds 69.

Hep Alien, JLGB and RSteven like this.
  15. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Here’s the artwork for the CD set. no track details or release date yet.

FEIN

I was hoping I could actually drop the photo into this post but all I get is a link to the image or a poor quality photo as above.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Tord, croquetlawns, Hep Alien and 7 others like this.
  16. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Me want.

Shawn, RSteven and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  17. Me too!

noname74 and RSteven like this.
  18. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

We really need the track details so we know if this is just going to contain all undubbed stuff or the previously released masters too along with outtakes.

Shawn, noname74 and RSteven like this.
  19. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Excellent. So how did you manage that. I cannot get anything like that when I post from iPad.

20. I am using an iPad too. Click the link you posted, FEIN hold down on the picture until you are able to “copy”. Then paste that clipboard file into image icon on the format toolbar above.

21. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

And a mockup of the vinyl issue. I can make out:

1. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me 2:30
    2. Mary In The Morning Takes 3,4 4:23
    3. Stranger In The Crowd Take 5 1:46
    4. How The Web Was Woven Take 1 3:25
    5. Got My Mojo Working / Keep Your Hands Off Of It 5:27

[​IMG]

FlyingTeapot, Hep Alien and CBackley like this.
  22. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I will buy this.

RSteven likes this.
  23. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Finally, some images and a few details! I wonder if it will be just the four disc set or if they'll do a Legacy 2-disc like many of the past reissues.

24. CowboyBill

I’m in for the vinyl, it’ll go nicely with my “Way down in the jungle room” and “American Sound” LPs.

RSteven likes this.