New Elvis 1970 box set "From Elvis In Nashville" due 20th November 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Mar 2, 2020.

1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

Dear Qobuz - where. are. the. L.I.N.E.R. N.O.T.E.S!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

2. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

This set is terrific - some of the best sounding Elvis recordings that I have heard.

3. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I was not expecting to be blown away by "It's Your Baby, Rock It". Wow.

4. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I have listened to a few songs online ("Life" and "Mary in the Morning"). I want to wait to listen to all of it, but I have to say these sound stunning! I don't know much about these sessions. I know the songs, but have these every been issued before so clear without all the overdubs? What was the purpose of those overdubs and whose decision was that? I think this period of Elvis would be more highly acclaimed if these recordings came out like this on proper albums. The 70s Elvis catalog is a travesty how it was all released.

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I hear you. Taking that Hendrix release apart was like dealing with a puzzle. A nice slipcase with 3 jewel cases or digipaks would have been sufficient.

hodgo and thnkgreen like this.
  6. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

I’ve waited a long time to hear “How The Web Was Woven” undubbed in this quality. I had a scratchy acetate dub in the early 90’s, and another scratchy acetate dub on one of the FTD book CD’s. I am thoroughly impressed so far!

7. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Dennis Ferrante mixed some songs, undubbed, from these sessions for the 1996 A Hundred Years From Now CD.

croquetlawns and palisantrancho like this.
  8. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

The sound on the first disc is simply stunning. Wow----I'm sure disc 2 will be as great!!!

9. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Stunning is not the word. Listening to the HD Tracks 96/24 download. This is the ****! Why can’t all masterings sound like this???!!

10. EternalReturn

EternalReturn Forum Resident

I agree that if these recordings were originally released in this form, they would have had more acclaim. The reason for the overdubs was probably an extension of Elvis' live shows (strings, horns, backing vocals etc) + also a continuation of the formula used for the American Sound Sessions. Not sure if it was Elvis' or producer Felton Jarvis' decision - one of the EP experts on here will probably know.

croquetlawns and palisantrancho like this.
  11. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

“We grew up on this mediocre ****!” Priceless.
    Mojo Working/Get Your Hands Off... worth price of admission. Hell. It’s All great!!
    Now I hear why Bob locked himself away for weeks after Elvis died.

12. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

The organ on "Just Pretend" is just absolutely perfect.

That Elvis guy is pretty good too.

hodgo, EternalReturn and RSteven like this.
  13. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

Very happy to see the good reviews here! E fans can be hard to please. Unfortunately I have to wait until Sunday to get it, but these reviews are making me even more excited to hear it!

hodgo, londonflash and RSteven like this.
  14. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

This release seems to be getting some really positive reviews in the press as well. Here is the headline in Rolling Stone Magazine online, while I await my UPS delivery, which I thought would be today, but now looks more like tomorrow or Monday.

Elvis Presley Meets the Nashville Cats on a New Box Set, With Glorious Results
    ‘From Elvis in Nashville’ finds Presley at his thrilling best — vamping, scatting, and even swearing, in thrall to the performance

15. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

and what does he say after that? something like "it's that type of material that's not good or bad, it's just mediocre s---"?

one of about a hundred different things I love about this set

artfromtex, hodgo and RSteven like this.
  16. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

Played most of this release and its great.
    I especially enjoy the undubbed masters that is released here for the first time and made a playlist with just them.
    Not a fan of the mix on some of the tracks on disc 3 and 4 but that is a minor issue for me.
    Also shame that the rehersal of YDHTSM isnt complete,would be nice if they used the composite version from FTD but I guess they wanted to release it how it was recorded.

croquetlawns likes this.
  17. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

18. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Listening to it now. Man, these sound wonderful. Great to hear this songs without all that extra stuff added to them

19. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Preordered this months ago now and looks like I’m on track to receive later today. Have been very much looking forward to this set.

RSteven and hodgo like this.
  20. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Rest assured it is!

RSteven and JLGB like this.
  21. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Vinyl is flat, super quiet, and centered.
    Packaging sturdy and fine.
    Printed notes on inners.
    Listening now ...

22. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

I'm salving the pain of not getting a copy of the Neil Young Archives box with this set (and the Joni Mitchell Archives Box). I'm so happy the Elvis camp is putting this stuff out.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    RSteven and hodgo like this.
  23. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I ordered the colored vinyl from Graceland. No idea when it will arrive.

Can one recreate Elvis Country without the segues using this set?

RSteven likes this.
  24. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Yes you can but the overdubs will be missing so it will sound different, this in my personal opinion is a good thing.

25. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

How is the 2 lp representing the full box?
    Surprised they didn’t use the master takes for the highlights edition.

Revolver and palisantrancho like this.