New Elvis 1970 box set "From Elvis In Nashville" due 20th November 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Mar 2, 2020.

1. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

when a public figure is commodified to death, this is bound to happen. I don't exactly follow Johhny Cash, but if he was resurrected, I guess anything is possible? But then again, JC had a longer expiration date than Elvis. Elvis has been marred by a cheesy image instilled into popular culture as a corpulent Las Vegas imitator.

CousinCheebo likes this.
  2. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Well it’s only the Holy Grail amongst true diehard/hardcore collectors who need everything. The casual fan or the general public won’t really give a damn if the stuff doesn’t come out and that’s probably why they haven’t been released. Too expensive and not enough return on those costs. If Warner’s had felt there was a good market for it, they would have done it when the fanbase and interest in Elvis was much bigger. For actual record releases, those shows are simply the forerunner to the Madison Square Gardens shows. Of course anything can happen, but I wouldn’t be holding my breath.

3. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

It is not actually the case that if there was an interest that it would have been released already.

There are MANY issues that can prevent a performance from being released.

The re-release of Thats the Way .differed from the original for a myriad of reasons one of which was copyright holders simply saying NO!

The 1997 reunion show at Mid South was pro shot but remains unreleased due to copyright

But heres hoping they keep trying.. One would think that unreleased filmed concerts would have more interest than audio only discs but who knows..

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    JimmyCool and JLGB like this.
  4. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

"That’s going to be the next big thing: Elvis will teach you how to play guitar. I’ve seen it. It’s real. I still can’t believe it. I could literally talk to Elvis Presley.”

Elvis can play guitar?

5. Nomadicarchivist

One of his best performances imho

minkahed, Hep Alien, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  6. Nomadicarchivist

Oh wow.. What a cool thing to stumble across at 445 am when i cant sleep
    Release The ELVIS ON TOUR Footage Public Group | Facebook

"Aim of the group is to get WARNER BROS EPE AND SONY TO WORK TOGETHER TO RELEASE MORE FOOTAGE FROM ELVIS FINAL FILM MGMS ELVIS ON TOUR RELEASED NOV 1st 1972
    Over 40 hours of footage was filmed for this project "

Hep Alien, BeatleJWOL and JLGB like this.
  7. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Well yes, there are a variety of reasons for something not getting released, but I always find it somewhat amusing when fans try to skirt around the issue of something not getting released due to the costs involved and the market not being big enough and try to blame it on something else.

Regarding the SE of TTWII, I cannot say I have heard that story about a copyright problem, but the fact remains that it was still released, with big money spent on the restoration etc but it did not do that well. And now 20 years later and after an outing in 2014, Warner’s are trying to recoup more money by re-releasing it again for one day, even though the marketing blurb is totally flawed. I’m sure it will do reasonably well especially from the diehards, although I personally fail to see the attraction when I can watch it for free in the comfort of my home, especially now with this nasty virus thing lurking around.

No idea what the 1997 reunion show at the Mid South is. I assume Elvis did not actually take part, so would assume that the interest in that would be negligible or even non existent to the general consumer.

I’m sure there is more interest in movie footage compared to audio, but then that can be turned on its head because the costs involved in working on movie footage would totally outstrip the cost involved in releasing a CD.

The fact remains that the biggest market that Warner’s can aim at is the Elvis fanbase which is diminishing as each year goes by, just like it does with any artist. As far as the general public are concerned, if they have seen TTWII and/or Aloha, that is probably enough for them. On Tour and the footage captured offers a slight deviation from Aloha in as much as it contains studio rehearsal stuff, but even the interviews that Elvis did offers nothing that revealing - almost like guarded answers. The film doesnt offers the kind of appeal like TTWII did and Elvis certainly doesn’t look anywhere near as good as he did in TTWII. I guess that for most outside of the fanbase, once you’ve seen one film of Elvis performing in a jumpsuit, you’ve seen them all that’s probably the limit.

Mr__Hump likes this.
  8. Nomadicarchivist

Wrong again.

The dvd release of Thats The Way It Is" sold just fine.

If you had done your homework you would have easily found out about the copyright and licensing issues that resulted in an altered setlist for TTWIS but you didnt.

Assuming that Elvis didnt take part in the 97 reunion show which was a wonderful event that reunited nearly all living members of Elvis' touring bands for the first time was a cute snarky comment that does little to hide your ignorance of fan appeal or copyright law.

As the web site I provided to you also proves, there are plenty of folks that would love to see unreleased Elvis concert film from the 72 Tour.

As a die hard Elvis fan I can say that we will enjoy it if it is ever released

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What does the 69 box look like ?

10. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I think we are talking about the American Sound studio set from FTD

Elvis Presley - American Sound 1969

It's a nice set if you are a fan of that era. Done in a 7 inch type card sleeve.

JLGB and alexpop like this.
  11. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

So this group was created nearly two years ago and has just 4,600 members during that time. The person running it has dismissed the thought of crowdfunding and wants Warner’s to do it all. The narrative on the first page is so amateurish - it just goes on for too long. This really smacks of someone living in la la land and in itself I suspect has about as much chance of succeeding as landing someone on Jupiter in the next few months. Ernst at FTD would be the only one who would have the kind of driving force to convince or attempt to convince Warner’s and Sony to do something.

12. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

In actual fact, it’s a 8" box and cannot be bought at normal retailers as it is a FTD release.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  13. Flaming Torch

This is the Live 69 box

Elvis* - Live 1969

Also nicely done, great stuff, maybe overkill but if it was a boot loads of folk would be after it!

laf848, RSteven and Spencer R like this.
  14. Flaming Torch

Thanks. The Live 69 box is the more easily found one. Of the top my head I think they are similar in size but not at home to check.

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What’s the official 70s box look like ?

16. Flaming Torch

I don't think we know yet. FTD I believe are doing some sort of book/cd package for That's The Way It Is to celebrate it's 50 years but it may be Sony are also doing something for the regular retail market. The FTD thing is mentioned in their recent Viva Las Vegas book/cd package. Hard to keep up with all this and all of my mates bailed on buying Elvis stuff years ago!

alexpop likes this.
  17. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I have this and I am pretty much finished.
    [​IMG]

18. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

The DVD release of TTWII or the SE EDITION of TTWII sold fine? Which is it? If you are talking about the latter, it sold poorly in the US and was probably one of the deciding factors by the money men at Warner’s not to go ahead with anything else with On Tour apart from putting out a cleaned up copy of the original movie which would not have had the associated costs of cleaning up and restoring footage that had been stored for several decades.

Regarding the Copyright issue, I did not challenge you to say it did not exist, but that I was not aware of it. I wasn’t aware I actually had to do some homework on it. Regardless, the SE Edition still got released.

I’m sure the 1997 event was wonderful for those in attendance, but that does not mean that it would have a high interest factor or any interest at all outside of those who were there or some the diehards in the fanbase and certainly not now 23vyears after the event. Watching a video of a video of Elvis on a big screen surrounded by original members of his group has minimal appeal. To think otherwise means you are somewhat deluded.

When you state there is interest in seeing On Tour footage - fans have been banging on about getting it for years. And to state that fans would enjoy it is rather stating the bleeding obvious. Unfortunately, and as good as their intentions and hopes are, 4,600 members on that Facebook page are not the kind of numbers that Warner’s would be looking at to start work on the footage. Even triple that wouldn't do it. Warner’s are running a business to make money - not to pamper to the wishes of Elvis fans and make a loss.

MrBigFan, CousinCheebo and Mr__Hump like this.
  19. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

FTD are dong a combo Book/CD package The Making of TTWII that mirrors the Making of Viva Las Vegas. 500+ pages and three CDs. I suspect Sony will not do a physical box for mainstream but will go the cheaper route on the Digital Platform. Later FTD could well do a physical version like they did with Memphis 69 and which fits into their new "sessions" series.

20. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

The 69 Vegas set was released into mainstream as a physical product. Memphis 69 was only made available via the Digital Platform. After complaints, FTD released a physical box, but that is not available into the mainstream retail sector hence the difficulty in finding it. Both boxes utilise the newer 8" size as per the Searcher etc as opposed to the 7" sets for the Classic Album series

21. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I beg to differ. The main album from 1969 had only one commercial song, "In The Ghetto" which was a single as well. The comeback song ("Suspicious Minds" single), was not included in LP form at the time. So, the point of box sets (IMO), lies mainly in other tracks and or outtakes, of material with artistic and non artistic value depending, as always, on subjective tastes. Clunkers? Yes. And 1969 wasn't totally free of them either. Again in my very subjective opinion, the line cannot be drawn with Elvis in 1969 regarding studio material. 1970 studio material from Nashville is very important. It has a good dose of back-to-roots material, plus a variety of music (that seems to me), Elvis sincerely thought good enough to record.

22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

We are not talking about one specific album, we are talking about sessions. American Sound was the pinnacle and frequently cited as some of the best work Elvis ever produced, and the sessions did produce 4 hit singles (two reaching number one). As such, the general public is certainly more familiar with the 1969 recordings. Even so, a sessions box set from 1969 still would have limitations at retail (and one suspects the download was not overly successful). The Nashville 1970 session work never had the same notable commercial identity. You have already admitted that you are biased about the subject, so one suspects you are not approaching this discussion with much objectivity.

23. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

You seem to be missing the point. The question is whether this forthcoming boxset will be physical or digital and the viability of a 1970’s session box in physical format when Sony ignored the 69 Sessions. If it is announced that it will only come out on the digital platform , the debate is somewhat irrelevant because it will mirror what Sony did with the 69 Sessions However if Sony put it into mainstream via a physical box, questions will be asked simply because if Sony wants to get Elvis back into the public interest, they should have done a physical release for those Memphis sessions.

No one is saying that the 1970 Nashville session are not good, in fact in comparison to what came later, they are great, but in comparison to the Memphis sessions, they did not resonate with the general public. I never witnessed the enthusiasm in trying to acquire TTWII or Elvis Country albums that I did with From Elvis in Memphis.

It is irrelevant that Suspicious Minds was not on the first Memphis album, but any box from those sessions could be marketed as "from the sessions that gave you Suspicious Minds and In The Ghetto". For a 1970 set and drawing two singles and stating "from the sessions that have you "There Goes My Everything and You Don’t Say You Love Me" really isn’t such a good selling tool.

I am not suggesting that a Memphis Session box would have flown off the shelves, but it would have stood a better chance than this forthcoming one, if indeed it gets a physical release. If of course it does not, that indicates to me that Sony recognise that there is simply not a big enough market for Elvis. I think warning signs arrived with the disappointing sales of the 68 TV Box and the 69 Vegas set when the decided to move from a 12" set to an 8" set on the latter, thus saving on costs.

BeatleJWOL, JimmyCool and Sebastian like this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I suspect Sony had to make a decision last year; release an American Sound box set or the Live 1969 box set. The company probably could not get the green light for two mainstream market physical box sets for Elvis Presley. Knowing that the majority of consumers for high-priced box sets at this point consists of a limited number of devoted Elvis enthusiasts, the focus may have been on unreleased material to encourage sales. While a number of the 1969 concerts were recycled, there were still a handful of shows unreleased in their entirety (plus one unheard show), conceivably making such a box set more enticing. Elvis' reputation as a live performer is well-known and well-regarded (historically his live albums have been solid sellers), so there may also have been the belief that the Live 1969 box set could appeal to the general public as well for additional sales (and it didn't hurt that both Suspicious Minds and In The Ghetto, both well-known hits, were showcased throughout the box set). Ultimately, Sony was able to double-dip because it issued the American Sound recordings in a physical format via FTD.

That said, your point is well-taken -- with respect to Elvis' legacy and catalogue management, should the priority have been on ensuring the American Sound sessions were properly represented? Sony will have expansive box set releases for Nashville 1970 and Stax 1973, but not for the superior American Sound sessions? Technically, the American Sound sessions release was issued via downloads and streaming services, so the music is out there.

JimmyCool and RSteven like this.
  25. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

One reason I might get excited about this box would be if it contained the Elvis Country masters without the “I Was Born About Ten Thousand Years Ago”-snippets, but in their original stereo mix.

The songs in question were remixed for the 70s box by Dennis Ferrante, and these versions have been used by BMG and later Sony ever since. However, the compilation “Love, Elvis” contains a stereo mix of "There Goes My Everything" that sounds like the album mix (without snippets). This gives reason to hope that of all the songs concerned, the original stereo mixes (without the snippets) exist. In my opinion, these are superior to the Ferrante remixes.