New Elvis 1970 box set "From Elvis In Nashville" due 20th November 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Mar 2, 2020.

1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, I remember reading that comment. Perhaps a few 1972 live recordings were earmarked for The Searcher at one point (and if I recall correctly, Never Been To Spain from Madison Square Garden was included). But based on his general remarks, it is difficult to come away thinking he actually mixed the entirety of the On Tour reels at that time.

EternalReturn and RSteven like this.
  2. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

ON TOUR needs to come out soon as the copy right kicks in and if? not issued by 2022 then the BL and PD labels will have a field day!.

Dave112, artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Sony has worked diligently to protect their copyrights so it will be an enormous shock if they do not issue an On Tour box set.

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Aww, hell. All you guys praising this set I ordered it and got it today. Even though I have all them FTDs, Essential sets, etc. its nice to have all the undubbed masters collected together, and the sound is top notch. Great deal for $40. Got the vinyl too. Haven't had a new Classic Album FTD to buy in a couple years now so this will give me something to do.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  5. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

So then you skipped buying the Madison Square Garden album, the Aloha from Hawaii album ?

The Recorded live in Memphis album in '74 ???

6. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Yes, the 1996 titled, "A Hundred Years From Now" disc is, imho, a great collection and the sonic presentation is top notch. It still holds up quite well.

7. Station2Station

Station2Station Forum Resident

Just about fell over!
    My Elvis box set has arrived, early!!!
    Thought it would be here in a couple of weeks time.
    Was expecting the new AC/DC cd today!
    Delivery man passed me a package, thought it was a bit big for a single cd.
    Still didn't know it was Elvis in Nashville, till I saw through the bubble wrap inside.
    Fantastic surprise...

8. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

In the case of Rags To Riches, the mistake of "cuss me" is there...

9. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Of note: The version of There Goes My Everything from Greatest Hits, Volume One sounds phenomenal and the drums are centered.

I played my original copy of Elvis Country on cassette earlier this week and noticed that, once again, the songs sounded slightly different to my CD version. Talk about head scratching...

JLGB likes this.
  10. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for my set to arrive, but I've been wondering how much of A Hundred Years From Now has ended up on Elvis in Nashville?

11. hulloder72

hulloder72 Forum Resident

Truly a beautiful BOX with perfect sound.

Can you tell me if there is an identical box set for the 1969 recordings at American Sound - Memphis, Tennessee?

Only with master takes not all takes and sessions.

12. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

This sounds like a great set! I'll be really curious of how the experts rate it over the next couple of weeks. I'm still hoping for an Elvis On Tour deluxe set! My other personal wish is for a collection of ERS masters and 60s/70s Mono masters. These three would fulfill my Elvis collection bucket list!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    artfromtex, MRamble, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  13. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Regarding 1969 American sound, an "identical" box to the Nashville sessions was only released digitally.

FTD had also issued in 2019 a 5-cd box for these sessions which is now oop.

phantomime and hulloder72 like this.
  14. hulloder72

hulloder72 Forum Resident

Thanks, and instead "Way Down in the Jungle Room" and "Elvis at Stax" contain unvoiced masters?

15. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I agree wholeheartedly with you Claus, the music on all four discs of this set has never sounded as good on any other release. The mixes are much fresher and more natural sounding than ever before. If you sit back and close your eyes, the absence of overdubs, along with the much more subtle reverb, makes you forget that you're listening to a recording and as I said in my previous post, listening to this set is like being in the studio with Elvis himself playing in front of you.

Its funny you both should mention this because on Friday evening after listening to all four discs of "Elvis in Nashville", I thought to myself "that was fabulous, I wonder what will be next?". My mind immediately went to the 71 sessions so I pulled out the FTD's for "Elvis Now" and "Fool", but on playing them I don't think I've ever been so underwhelmed in all my life. Whilst the 73 Stax sessions are not the best thing since sliced bread, at least the three disc legacy release makes for a somewhat enjoyable listening experience, with the 71 sessions I doubt that would even be possible. The song choices are poor, Elvis is uninspired, not in great voice and even with such great musicians behind him there wasn't much they could do that would improve things in any noticable way so count me as sceptical regarding a 71 sessions release.

The other thing I will say is that I think Sony, instead of rehashing the 69 session FTD's the way they did, would have served the fanbase and more general public at large much better, by giving those 69 sessions the same treatment as Elvis in Nashville.

16. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

(The other thing I will say is that I think Sony, instead of rehashing the 69 session FTD's the way they did, would have served the fanbase and more general public at large much better, by giving those 69 sessions the same treatment as Elvis in Nashville.)

Give it time my friend,give it time!.:righton:

17. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I'm having a great time listening to these songs on the new set. This is what Elvis produced in the studio when he was recording this so I would label these mixes as Elvis's own preferred mix. The production very much holds up even with all the overdubs removed. The sound is full and completely transformed. Well done.

18. ilistentoallkinds

ilistentoallkinds Forum Resident

I'm so pleased to check in here, after having been away for a while, and see all of the raves about this box set! I'm flat broke until the first week of December, so I can't buy it now, but as soon as I have some spare money, I will be happily ordering it. The Youtube videos that have been released from this set, thus far, sound so, so good..... I can't wait to hear all of the songs from the box on my stereo and to read the booklet notes as well, mythologizing or not! :)

19. prostx23

prostx23 Somewhat Gentleman of Mediocre Sophistication

Got my set just a little bit ago. Amazon packaged it in a cardboard envelope, not even padded, lol. It got a tad squashed, but not too bad thankfully. No "Bridge" typo on the back. The disc packaging on this set is tighter than any similar type I've purchased in the past. Disc 3 was a bit difficult to take out as it was buried the deepest of the 4. It's almost like they are daring us to actually listen to this, lol. I finished reading Ernsts section of the liner notes and overall I like what he had to write on the sessions, it seems like he took the opportunity to take some shots at Chips Moman and the Memphis sessions. Maybe that wasn't his intention, but that's how I read it. Seemed unnecessary to me. The music of course is fantastic. I really like hearing all of the masters this way despite some songs benefiting from the overdubs. If I'm not incorrect, this is Elvis' original vocals on Bridge Over Troubled Water, before he overdubbed them for the final master? The mix is terrific. It really does sound as if I'm sitting in the studio listening to these as they are being recorded. Fabulous package all around.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  20. hodgo

I saw that too and I have to say it stuck out like a sore thumb to me. It was totally unnecessary, uncalled for and bang out of order. I'd rather Elvis have continued to work with someone like Chips or Steve Binder any day of the week. Both Elvis and his fans would have been much better served with either of those two over Felton, who out of his own self interest conspired with Parker to make sure that didn't happen.

21. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

22. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Elvis Country and Love Letters are the equivalent FTDs ... ?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  23. hodgo

Plus "That's The Way It Is"

Lewisboogie, MrSka57 and RSteven like this.
  24. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

There were a ton of producers who could have done an underproduced mix. Elvis, however, had been adding extraneous background vocals and instruments since the 50's. It's the type of presentation that Elvis preferred and wanted on his records.

Given that we have so many undubbed Elvis mixes now, it's a blessing. Still, there is need to pretend that Elvis didn't want records with hefty overdubbing.

25. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I agree. Just listen to the 70s live shows. A lot of backup singers, orchestra etc.