New Elvis 1970 box set "From Elvis In Nashville" due 20th November 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Mar 2, 2020.

1. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

:rolleyes:

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Good point. That will certainly be of interest to Elvis enthusiasts.

Hep Alien, Munros1969 and RSteven like this.
  3. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I agree with you regarding the overall strength and diversity of much of if not all of the 1970 Nashville recordings. Elvis was at or near the peak of his vocal powers, while he was also simultaneously in the middle of his peak period as a live performer. He was working with several new Nashville musicians (Jerry Carrigan and Norbert Putman), who along with band leader James Burton and familiar face David Briggs, would give Elvis one of the finest and most versatile bands he had ever worked with. Maybe not quite as renowned as the Memphis Boys, but they had a very high studio pedigree as well, several of whom had come from Muscle Shoals. Elvis also continued to build his new sound, which I call his Nash/Vegas sound, yet he was still mixing it with a touch of soul and blues (I Really Don't Want To Know, I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water). Though no one can argue that the Nashville sessions in 1970 were the critical match of the American Sound sessions in 1969, nor would one want to, nevertheless, those Nashville sessions did see Elvis and his band operating at a very high level, and one only need listen to some of those highlights (Bridge Over Troubled Water, I've Lost You, Patch It Up and You Don't Have To Say You Love Me) in order to hear the evidence that Elvis was fully engaged on most of those recordings.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Indeed he could play guitar, and he could play some piano and bass guitar as well. Elvis also was the main producer on probably 90% of his recording sessions. Go figure. :cool:

5. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

EXACTLY!

RSteven likes this.
  6. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I thought he just held it in concert.

7. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

If Ernst is involved, which he should be, I reckon that things will get remastered slightly. However if they do the same as they did with the Memphis release, there will not be any actual masters used as it was seen that the final masters which included overdubs were not part of the original sessions.

8. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Understandable given the popular perception of his last live concert tours, but early in his career he played rhythm guitar on almost all of his recording sessions. Listen to him on the acoustic opening of Reconsider Baby. On the 68 Comeback Special, Elvis swaps out his acoustic for Scotty Moore's electric and plays it throughout the sit-down portion of the special. He even plays some lead licks on it, and it surprised a lot of people at the time. He also played piano on a few of his records as well and he played totally by ear.

9. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

There's a lot of long wordy comments on this so I'd like to add my essay.

I'm in.

There.

10. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Should have done a single show CD/Digital release, like how Live at the International Hotel, Las Vegas, NV August 26, 1969 was done on vinyl. I did not feel a need to buy the whole box, or a show on LP, but they missed selling me a smaller version on a CD.
    At the end of the day, what they *did* sell me was the Suspicious Minds (Live in Las Vegas, August 23, 1969) digital 45 (backed w Mystery Train/ Tiger Man) on iTunes.

anth67 and Munros1969 like this.
  11. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

"In The Ghetto" reached #3 in the Hot 100.
    Being biased does not mean being blind to the facts. The 1969 album was critically acclaimed without the hit singles, sans "In The Ghetto". Nevertheless, "Elvis Country" (critically acclaimed without hit single(s)), did better in the USA with Billboard, peaking at #12 Top 200, versus 13 (FEIM), without a hot radio airplay single. That says something. Both 1969 and 1970 sessions produced solid albums. And so both years in my opinion, deserve a box set.

Ken K, laf848, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

From the RS article:
    Imagine a thread based on that part of the article.

13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

It’s pretty much true. The boomers and older Generation Xers are the only ones buying all of these 50th anniversary box sets and keeping the memory of these legacy artists from the 50s and 60s alive. When we go, their memory goes.

14. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Some of us young Gen X ers will be super pumped to buy all those 50th anniversary sets at the estate sales.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Millennial here. Damn. Life comes at you fast. :laugh:

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

The Nashville outtakes could certainly benefit from an upgrade, unlike the American Sessions the FTD Classic Album sonics were not that great for the June (plus Sept) Nashville sessions.

And since Sony already did a TTWII box-set in 2014 I guess it makes sense a set would focus on the June Nashville sessions.

But, there are no legacy hits from June 1970, and the chart placement of Elvis Country doesn't change that. From Elvis In Memphis by contrast is revered as Elvis' comeback studio effort, connected to a body of session work that produced two signature hits in the Presley catalog, and despite this last year's session release only came out on CD essentially "under protest."

I welcome a Sony set if it means better pricing, but it probably has a better home on FTD.

Funny, this year is 60 years since those momentous Nashville sessions in March and April 1960, which also produced signature hits known beyond the fan-base, and all that's happened is a botched FTD sessions box-set late last year.

For general retail I would have thought a Young Man With The Big Beat style celebration of 1960 would be more interesting to focus on, and easier to market.

17. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks for posting. Jeff who certainly gets a lot of stick on Doors threads has probably hit the nail on the head.

CousinCheebo likes this.
  18. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Do box sets like this have to be centered around signature hits though? Surely one of the objects of a Nashville Marathon set would be to recontextualize the sessions as a unified whole and (one would hope) introduce new people to this material which has gone under the radar for the most part? Granted I think the general public’s perception of Elvis is so badly damaged at this point that only a reboot as suggested could mitigate some of it, but Elvis will never be a top hitter like The Beatles no matter what Sony/EPE do and no matter how much fans want it. That time has passed.

GillyT, DirkM, JLGB and 2 others like this.
  19. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

No, but it needs a real hook in order to build marketing of the set around.

6 years ago Sony already did a major box-set on 1970, around That's The Way It Is, taking advantage of the obvious "hooks" including the sessions, the movie, the unreleased live shoes etc. There was a lot to build an argument for its existence at retail. Think about it:

Young Man with the Big Beat - complete 1956 recordings, a pile of signature hits, unrelease live audio, session outtakes, a milestone year.
    Prince From Another Planet - major concert shows at Madison Square Garden; an event piece
    Elvis At Stax - Elvis records at a legendary hit-making studio (let's be honest, this argument was a stretch, but it's more than June 1970 has)
    TTWII - above
    '68 Special - it's comeback time!
    Live 1969 - complete set of first live performances in nearly a decade

A studio box-set focused on June 1970, sessions which produced a lot of credible work but no lasting hits, on its own - I'm not so sure. I feel 1960 offers a lot more "meat" to mine re. building a commercial box-set.

Nevertheless, I look forward to a June 1970 project, if it improves the mixes and audio of those outtakes, the FTDs aren't great.

20. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

"You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" recorded June 1970, was a hit reaching #11 in Hot 100, and #1 in Adult Contemporary. "Kentucky Rain" reached #16, and it is rightfully mentioned as part of the 1969 session hit single recordings. So, that's a commercial bone for June, 1970. A good one at that.
    "It's Your Baby, You Rock It", was a missed opportunity for single release, I believe.

21. PacificOceanBlue

Well, Jeff's remarks provide clarity. Legendary music by rock and roll pioneers does not resonate with younger generations. People often know who Elvis is, know who The Beatles are (although they may not be able to name all four band members), know the imagery, and the trademarks, but more and more frequently, it doesn't go beyond that. In 2020, a dwindling number of people care or even know about the Nashville 1970 session material, and a shiny new box from Sony is not going to change that. It will make a few presently devoted enthusiasts happy to have new product, but it is not going to enhance Elvis' legacy or help usher in a new generation of fans.

22. PacificOceanBlue

But, in 2020, unlike Suspicious Minds, it is an irrelevant and forgotten Elvis single that has not transcended generations of music listeners.

23. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

You really think there's a credible hook to promote a major commercial box-set around "the sessions that produced Elvis' cover of Dusty Springfield's signature hit You Don't Have To Say You Love Me?"

24. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

How many "Suspicious Minds" can an artist have?

Dark Horse 77 and RSteven like this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

Agreed. I am optimistic that it will contain a sound upgrade for the outtakes (it is the primary reason why I ultimately acquired Elvis At Stax) and offer clean stereo masters of the Elvis Country material sans the 10,000 Years Ago snippets.