New Elvis 1970 box set "From Elvis In Nashville" due 20th November 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Mar 2, 2020.

1. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Possibly if Sony put some money behind it at retail, create interest, get some ads out there, some TV commercials, radio spots, internet online ads.

The thing with Sony is, they always know that Elvis product will move "some" units from the hardcore fan base, and that seems to be enough to recoup some costs and/or profit, especially if they don't go in and re-mix/re-master, (for the 10th time).

RSteven and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Probably. I will need to see what the entire package will consist of and who is engineering the recordings.

RSteven likes this.
  3. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

The last Elvis box I picked up was the "Prince From Another Planet" box...………...

4. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Do we have a release date yet? Cover Art??? How many CD's?

5. PacificOceanBlue

It is highly unlikely that Sony will invest in a widespread advertising campaign with TV commercials, radio spots, extensive online ads, etc. for Nashville 1970. This isn't 1997. Elvis has limitations at retail and it is not likely that Sony is going to green light a large budget for an archival release with limitations at retail, especially one that does not contain any notable hits that will resonate with the public at large. What you saw for the Live 1969 box set is probably what you will see here.

Anthony Aloysius likes this.
  6. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

I agree with you on that, it's pretty much what I said in my closing comments, but like I stated previously, if Sony wants to see more, or better results, maybe they should put in a little extra effort in their marketing execution. Change their strategy.

Yes, Rob Santos is certainly an Elvis 70's enthusiast, but if iirc, even Ernst was surprised at how well the "Jungle Room Sessions" was received at retail, in spite of the fact that the wonderful FTD covering these sessions became the best selling FTD ever.

RSteven likes this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

I hear you, but I am skeptical that a larger marketing budget would result in a substantial increase in sales, especially for large-scale project with no resonating hit material.

8. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Indeed, the price was prohibitive with way too much repetition. Something at half the price might have sold reasonably. Definitely a niche offering.

Shawn likes this.
  9. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Exactly,

The price point of that set was ridiculous. I know plenty of people that were interested in purchasing that set, including me, that did not purchase it for that sole reason.

If you break it down that's averaging about nine, nine and a half bucks per CD, okay It came with a nice booklet and nice colored CD's.

Then there was the issue of the "Matt Ross-Spang" tweaking ...

Shawn likes this.
  10. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

11. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

This had me thinking, the "Elvis Country" Lp was awarded a "Gold" RIAA certification in October 1977. I've read somewhere that there were certified sales of approaching the million mark, but we have no evidence as such.

"That's The Way It Is" was awarded "Gold" in 1973, but was upgraded to, "Platinum" just 2 years ago.

Maybe this has Sony thinking that this material has potential ???

RSteven likes this.
  12. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

At this point I’m resigned to the fact that I’ll most likely buy any further box set that is released. I just bought the American Sound box even though I have the 3 FTDs covering the period. I bought the live 1969 despite the repetition and price (and enjoy it immensely). It’s stupid crazy but I have to think, how many others are out there like me? A few thousand at most? Something has to be done to keep Elvis relevant. His artistry is a great discovery for those who want to listen. But how do we (and Sony) get people to listen?

GillyT, Ted Mooney, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  13. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I try to keep up and buy the big Elvis boxes but do not buy all the FTD books anymore and tend to pick and choose there. I really do not know how you keep Elvis relevant but the music and a great deal archival stuff is out there. Hopefully the RCA albums box will stay in print or be readily available and I like the Sony Legacy releases and they are not too expensive.

RSteven likes this.
  14. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

The sort of product that appeals to a mainstream casual audience is always going to play by different rules to one that keeps a niche group of hardcore Elvis fans happy.

That's why you are thrilled to listen to 6 shows from August 1970 in a row from an expensive deluxe box set, but the idea of listening to "Elvis And The R.P.O." on Spotify fills you with dread.

Or vice versa.

Two different strategies for two different sections of the market.

Neither is "wrong". But the real danger is the dead zone between the two: a product that ends up trying to satisfy everyone but ultimately delights nobody.

So those of you expecting them to somehow cover all bases, and those of you confusing a niche release for something intended to sell millions to the mainstream (or vice versa), are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

This isn't 1968 anymore. Huge mass-market sales aren't always the goal, particularly when releases like "Elvis Posthumously Duets With Ed Bieber" (or whatever) are expected to ultimately sell more than enough to justify the Legacy releases.

BeatleJWOL, Shawn, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

J.D. Sumner may be the lowest bass singer, but the least musical of them.

16. Flaming Torch

Absolutely spot on! I would have to be paid to listen to some of the Elvis reworkings as in duets and backings from a modern orchestra. Scary stuff. However I do like the overdubbed stuff on the Too Much Monkey Business FTD release.

RoyalPineapple likes this.
  17. Flaming Torch

Poor old JD. Did JD ever do dive bombs like that when just doing shows with The Stamps? If he did not then I guess we can place the blame squarely on Elvis's shoulders.

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

He did so with the Stamps as much or more. His Vibrato and grunt on his lowest note, was enough to drive a fleet of trucks through. George Younce was a far superior bass singer in terms of gospel music. And my mom and late grandmother knew those oldtimers at their peak in this genre of music.

Shawn, RSteven and Flaming Torch like this.
  19. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

I'm with you brother, but even someone like me, ok, I love the guy.

For me personally, it's Elvis, then everyone else, life's too short not to be an Elvis fan.

GillyT, I333I and RSteven like this.
  20. PacificOceanBlue

I think it is difficult for some Elvis fans to accept that Elvis' music is becoming less relevant with every passing generation. For at least the first decade or so after his death, Elvis was typically a national news story every August 16. He was the "King" and his music continued to sell in high numbers. He remained a relevant figure in popular culture. Then there was the big JXL remix and hits compilation at the height of the CD era. Suddenly 20 years later, younger generations recognize his imagery more than his music as his music sales taper off and the music becomes less relevant. Some Elvis fans think the solution is spending large sums of money for massive marketing campaigns to promote the music of an artist who has been dead over 40 years; that if there is saturation all over social media, the internet, and television programming, Elvis will rise again. It isn't as if EPE, Sony, and other rights holders haven't been actively trying to keep Elvis' legacy alive through various projects (including most recently The Searcher), but there is truly only so much that can be done. This simply may be the natural progression of the viable lifespan of an artist. He will always be Elvis, a pioneering legacy artist, a legend. But that doesn't mean Generation Y, Z, Centennials, etc. are going have much of an interest in his life and music the way Baby Boomers and Gen X did. The times are different. Entertainment consumption is much different. It is okay if Elvis' relevancy doesn't maintain an upward trajectory.

21. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Yes I completely get it.

The more I think about it and have looked back at the constant redundancy of the Elvis catalog in the last 40 years or so, RCA released dozens upon dozens of compilations and other themed type albums and there constant licensing of Elvis music to other smaller subsidiaries, surely plays a part in this.

With modern technology and how people consume their music, even films, today's number one is tomorrow's forgotten.

I remember about 20 years ago when RCA/BMG/Sony, whoever, made a press release that about 50 or so Elvis titles would be deleted from the catalogue for a complete overhaul. Then with the success of "30 Number One Hits", it started all over again.

Since then, Elvis' catalog remains a constant mess.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  22. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I can see an audio release. Same thing they did with "That's The Way It Is". We'll get the same blu ray we had 10 years ago. TTWII has hours upon hours of unreleased video content that's amazing. They never touched that.... I hope we at least get a full concert in HD.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Real Elvis Fans buy everything and don't ask impertinent questions. If Sony decides to sell soil from Graceland, well then just consider yourself lucky that you can purchase a big Hunk O' Soil for your very own.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  24. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

It fit in nicely next to the other 2 cd Elvis Presley legacy sets that have been released. Maybe if Sony releases the big sets like Live 1969 along with a 2 cd set of highlights it will sell better.

25. Flaming Torch

Agreed. Looking at the Queen and Elton John films I guess that is the way to go. My niece (22 ish) works for Gucci and a couple of years back went on a training day with a film/video presentation. Featuring in it was Elton. She later told her mum about a bloke with glasses who she thought was a comedian or something.