New figures out: 7% decline in sales

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by syogusr, Aug 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syogusr

syogusr New Member Thread Starter

Does this surprise anyone? Main culprits are downloading, and, according to others sources; the quality of music has declined. DUH!!

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

It also has to do with the economy I think. A lot of industries are hurting. People are holding on to some of their money...

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

This is NOT what I have been reading from some sources. I see that the RIAA does cite this as the main culprit. I'm w/ Todd, I think there are many other factors at play.

http://www.nua.ie/surveys/?f=VS&art_id=905355849&rel=true

-Jeffrey

4. syogusr

Todd and Jeffery, this was on CNN last night and the source was RIAA, so what I have posted comes from the horses mouth, so to speak. The economy was NOT talked about at all, the main reasons were downloading and music quality. They said that people who downloaded in most cases, bought fewer CD's. This all makes sense, and I believe every bit of it. CD shipments were down over-all from 37 million to just over 20 million:(

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

When will they be receiving their financial windfall from the aggressive clampdowns on Napster and Audio Galaxy? Since they are not cutting into their sales anymore, I would expect that CD sales would be up, right?:sigh:

Regards,

6. Todd Fredericks

Yes, I agree that music downloading over the net may be hurting sales (and in some ways helping ala exposure to new music) but I'm getting very, very tired of so many music industry executives blaming this as the "main" be all, end all to loss of sales. It's becoming a tired excuse. They should have mentioned the economy the report you're speaking about but I suspect that wouldn't be a hot a topic as the downloading one (ratings, etc.). It seems like every industry (some more, some less) has been hit hard since last year and it'll take time to turn around. Even if there wasn't such a thing as music downloading or Cd-R's, I'm very sure sales would still be down almost to that 7% level. People are not spending as much in today's world...

Todd

7. chrischross

chrischross New Member

>>They said that people who downloaded in most cases, bought fewer >>CD's. This all makes sense, and I believe every bit of it.

You don't believe the line that the RIAA is feeding you, right??

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but I've personally noticed that I'm buying MORE music due to the ability to download music. I will concede though that I'm not the average music buyer as I look at MP3 as a unacceptable low-res format suitable only for previewing.

One cool thing about gnutella clients is that I'm getting great access to some older records that I would never had taken a chance on. What does the RIAA expect -- that I just buy back-catalog releases unheard? Also, since there is a ton of quality music from years past (I'm especially going after late 70's, early 80's stuff), there is no reason to buy in to what passes for popular music new releases these days.

The industry set itself up for this years ago by not investing in new band development, rather they just tried to ride the same old tired acts and offer big contract signings to what they thought were sure things. The chickens as they say are coming home to roost.

8. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Do kids who steal cars go out and buy cars? No, they find other things to steal.

Anyway, I think those figures are a crock. Seems you look at the Billboard Top 200 album chart and everything in the top 15 alone has sales of like 20 million copies each. But those figures are a crock too.

Here's an idea. Lower the list price of new releases to about $10.99. If I can buy new releases for $7.99, I'll buy more. Much more.

9. Todd Fredericks

Yes, I agree. How much excitement is out there for new music? I think that there are so many genres and sub-genres out there that music is losing it's broad collective consciousness. One day no one will make it to the top of the charts (as we know it today & yesterday) because there will be a genre for every group of 20 people. Society is putting more fences up...

Todd

10. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

It's so utterly ridiculous that this is considered some major crisis. When other businesses fail, it's usually their fault...business models, or somesuch. But the RIAA considers itself to be *so important* that it's the WORLD'S problem they're failing...and especially those evil American consum^H^H^H^Hcustom^H^H^H^Hcitizens. Legislation to prop up an outdated business model...hoh boy.

-D

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Don't look at the RIAA crying towel. It may seem damp, but it's really crocodile tears. Money is made, and we still buy music. The market won't be as tied together as when vinyl was king, but there's always a market for DIY recordings, just as history shows.

Think of it this way; we can pour water out of he sink and drink it, but why are bottlers making such a killing over bottled water? The answer is obvious, isn't it?

Thanks RIAA. Now, go back to bed. Sheesh. What molachki.

12. Ken_McAlinden

I'm not sure I follow the analogy. If you are saying that closing popular and easy to use online sites for downloading had no effect on downloading, then the RIAA is more in the red for the legal expenses they exhasuted pursuing this with no actual change in downloading. I'm not sure I agree with that, but it is still consistent with my general belief that the RIAA either does not know or will not publicly acknowledge what the real problem with the music industry is, which has little to do with downloading anyway.

Regards,

13. chrischross

chrischross New Member

The legislation aspect of this is most troubling, especially the proposed Berman legislation that would allow the industry to plant viruses, trojans, etc. on your computer LEGALLY.

There seems to be a full-court press from the RIAA for both stamping out the file sharing services and also going after the consumer, which had been untouched territory before.

14. reechie

reechie Senior Member

And since this decline is "our fault" (ie, consumer's), what does the RIAA expect "us" to do about it?

15. Mike

Mike New Member

Hack 'em Up

Do you know the RIAA is now trying to get legislation passed that will allow them to hack into and disable your computer if they suspect you are downloading?

The RIAA site has been hacked twice this month.

Last night's hack (riaa.com is still down):

http://www.scriobh.com/riaa/

http://www.digichapman.com/riaa-hacked.jpg

The hack from a couple weeks ago (that's Hilary Rosen on the left):

http://www.hakie.net/forserious/bco/RIAA-ROSEN.jpg

Normally I don't condone criminal behavior. But when our legislators are bought and paid for and no longer represent the people, ugly things happen.

RIAA response after this first hack:

"Don't they have something better to do during the summer than hack our site?" asked the RIAA representative, who asked not to be identified. "Perhaps it at least took 10 minutes away from stealing music."

16. Ken_McAlinden

It was untouched, but not due to lack of effort on the part of industry lobbyists. Hopefully, they will be equally unsuccessful as they were when they were promoting home taping as the scourge of humanity.

I know, I know, this is a perfect exact digital copy (with lossy compression resulting in audible degradation) so everything is soooo different compared to when they were wrong about the cassette being the work of Bolsheviks out to ruin our American way of life. :rolleyes:

Regards,

17. Todd Fredericks

It's all ego and BS. Does anyone (except me) give a toss if I loss money if I'm producing my own show or if I do a gig in some small bar on Bleeker Street?? Should I cry foul if the "music industry" seduces my small (very small) audience away with all their resources and I'm left wondering when my next job will be or feeling embarrassed for not being as "successful" as these industry's "promote" what success is to society. "Oh you're an actor? Which films have you starred in?" Yes, the music industry is a big, big money-making machine (think of Hooper in "Jaws" explaining to the mayor what a shark is) and by hook or crook it must take it all. What other industry can call some (or if not all) of their customers crooks and still know and expect them to use their "service" (which is all it is. You want music, pay us and we'll provide it)? Sometimes all the (highly paid for) glitz, news exposure (riding the gravy train), magazines, etc. is just maintaining this illussion of being "exclusive" and more important than any other business (A window cleaner? Ha!). The Grammy's & Academy-awards (in reality) are no different than any other industry patting "itself" on the back (but they can make serious money from it). It's a very big, big circle. At the end of the day, if someone aged 5 or 78 records a nice, wonderful performance(and it's expressive, creative, communicates turth, etc.) on a Fisher Price cassette thingie then what makes them a sensation? Is it the work (or quality of the performance/recording) or that the have the music industry's muscle (and money) behind them? What is "art"???? RIAA, get over it...

Todd

P.S. Also, I think the baseball strike issue and other recent events are slowly eroding these "illusions" of certain career's (almost expected) special priviledge

18. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

19. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Ken:

I meant that if a kid is accustomed to downloading free music and the free music sites are shut down, and he/she no longer has the ability to steal music by downloading it, he/she will not go out and buy the actual CD. They will burn a copy from a friends CD or MP3 or do without. So in effect, shutting down free music sites might not necessarily increase album sales.

20. Ken_McAlinden

That's what I thought you meant. the next question becomes: "Why would an industry intent on making a profit expend resources necessary to legally contest these sites if they will not, in fact benefit the industry?" or "How were these sites cutting into profits if their users will never buy a CD?".

Anyway, I've already said what I really think about the industry's expressed concerns, so these questions are more or less rhetorical. :)

Regards,

21. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I haven't been able to figure that one out, Sckott, so, no the answer to the bottled water phenomenon isn't obvious, to me at least.

What I DO know is that my local grocery store sells filtered tap water for 50¢/gallon (25¢/gallon if you bring your own container), and when someone forgets to refill the tank they just go to the shelves and grab a few cases of that bottled water and refill it.

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I think you forget that the RIAA has an AGENDA! They don't want file-sharing so they have been whipping this horse to death. All other studies show the opposite of what they keep crying. Downloading music didn't hurt sales. Their own stupidity, plus the unfortunate circumstances of 9/11 added to it.

23. syogusr

Let me restate my post! RIAA was not the only one with hands in this, Billboard and Soundscan were too. So don't blame RIAA for what is perceived as bull, this is fact, like it or not! Listen to the quality of music in general, maybe people have a reason not to buy as much, I do, that I know. Also, "everything in the top 15 has sold 20 million? Huh?? The little figure behind the listing does not indicate you put a zero behind it. 2 million is more like it. This will be a continuing trend for some time to come, like it or not. Instead of everyone bashing the RIAA, who had SOME input in this study and findings, maybe this will be a blessing in disguise. MAYBE the quality will go up a little, maybe radio will not be so narrow-minded in their play lists(this also was a factor). Maybe, just maybe; this will change things for the better. Maybe....

24. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Ken:

Well, I think they thought that if current stats showed that 18% of the potential record buying public were downloading from these sites on a regular basis, they ought to spend the money and shut it down before stats showed 43% or whatever. They figured that all regular CD buyers would eventually find out about free music and want in on it. The only regular buyers left would be us audiophiles who represent a small part of the market.

25. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Please cite your sources of this fact.

-Jeffrey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.