New Fleetwood Mac Boxes: "1973-1974" (vinyl) "1969-1974" (CD) (September 4,2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jul 22, 2020.

1. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

pool_of_tears and JeffreyB like this.
  2. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, this is how it is on the reconfigured Then Play On and several other albums, but it is just the two sides of the single after one another, so it's still the two parts (with a section repeated), unless that sampler is different, which I doubt.

I think what some people are missing is that the point isn't if it's presented as two parts or one, but if the same section of music is repeated, which it always is, unless possibly on the '98 CD that some people have referred to.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  3. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

Just checked my 1998 Greatest Hits CD. "Oh Well" is two separate tracks but without the repeated section. Part 1 times in at just 2:21 (even though the cover says 3:28) and segues right into Part 2.

I have also added it to the Dynamic Range DB: Album details - Dynamic Range Database

ARK and Hep Alien like this.
  4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

So "Pt. 1" is simply faded out early, before the first chord on the acoustic guitar enters? It is not actually edited together to be a continuous piece?

5. southamorican

It is edited together as a continuous piece, but on two tracks.

6. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

So where does the edit occur, is it noticeable in any way?

7. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Odd that Sony UK would have done that with a track licensed in from WB.
    It certainly wasn't sent to them like that and the previous iteration of that comp wasn't like that.
    Odd.

8. southamorican

At 2:21, right where the part that is repeated begins. That part is only present on "Part 2". But it is quite seamless.

I much prefer to hear it this way.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. DougB217

DougB217 Forum Resident

This sampler came out in 1970, to introduce new music to the masses for $2 for the 2-record set. The track clocks at 9:02.

10. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  11. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Yep...I bought it in 1973 when it came out (had already gotten Future Games and Bare Trees-both terrific) and still remember my bitter disappointment on hearing it...although I did like Bright Fire and Night Watch-Bob Welch saved the day. I kept wondering what had happened to my favorite member Danny Kirwan...I didn't find out until years later about the circumstances of him leaving the band.

plentyofjamjars67 likes this.
  12. DougB217

DougB217 Forum Resident

My iPad timer was off by 2 seconds. That’s it, back to bed.

13. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I have some of those samplers, although they are quite rare to find over here, some of them do include unique things, but not in this case then. The two sides of the single are a little over 9 minutes together, so that would be the common version of the track, with the section repeated, as it is on Then Play On.

14. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Very interesting! Mine is 1989 CBS CD 4607042. It plays the full Part 1 timing 3:32. It fades out (like the single did) and then part 2 is 5:43. The part definitely repeats. I must find the one you have. I also have the 1989 CD that looks the same It is on Columbia. But the track listing is exactly the same as Pious Bird with two additional tracks at the end (Shake Your Money Maker and Love That Burns).

So there are at least 3 versions based on content for this title. No wonder the confusion between the 1989 and the 1998 issue of this CD. I will seek out getting the 1998 UK version now.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Seeing this a little late, but check 3rd Party selling New copies and see if Amazon Global is listed. It’s actually Amazon US sourcing from other Amazons. Cool thing too is that if there’s an issue you can still return to Amazon US even though it was an import.

Mark

jason202 likes this.
  16. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Done.

Dignan2000 and James Bennett like this.
  17. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Do we know if there will be any booklets or liner notes with these? The 2013 release of Then Play On had some great notes. Hate to lose those.

Oyster Boy and Hep Alien like this.
  18. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. Ringmaster_D

Thanks. Not sure how I missed that. That seems a bit skimpy, but better than nothing. So, Fleetwood Mac experts, with all of these bonus tracks included what's missing from this era?

Mark Wilson likes this.
  20. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Hmmmm..amazon still at $54.98. Significant diff.

Any negatives re importCDs? What kind of experiences?

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

This covers everything from the 69-74 Reprise era

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. Ringmaster_D

Thanks. It's nice when a set leaves no orphaned b-sides or rarities.

supermd, Hep Alien, LSP2003 and 2 others like this.
  23. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Never had a bad experience with Alliance Entertainment (ImportCDs, DeepDiscount, etc.). Good prices on items and shipping, frequent discount codes, good packaging, speedy delivery.

bigal00769, ARK and ronbow like this.
  24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I fully agree.

25. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

1998 version is discussed earlier in the thread and on another thread. Its a curious one. I have the 1998 version, the curiousity is that the cd cover shows the track lengths as per the original cd release (3:28) where in reality part 1 is 2:21 as mentioned. Assume that is the only version (1998) that has the correct non repeat version.

My 1998 version is digipack cd and has a "sony music Nice Price 30th Anniversary limited edition 1968-1998 - SBM Super Bit Mapping 4607045-9" black and gold sticker on the front........................if that helps you to locate a copy.

Hep Alien likes this.