New Flux HiFi Ultrasonic sylus cleaner

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rolltide, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

That's it JG--- I found my old one, but not the liquid, unsurprisingly. I popped a new battery in mine and gave it a whirl (though unlike the chap above in the video I did not place it on a record but directly on the platter). Still does what it does.....not sure how great it is compared to other methods but it cured any interest I had in the new Flux model. Maybe I need to find a cleaning fluid substitute to get the full effect but it seems to clean the stylus ok, even if it is a bit fussier than my regular routing with Magic Eraser. No lingering aftereffect on the Sumiko Pearwood I currently run, but I still would limit the time I'd apply to the stylus.

2. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Brian, it seems to me the device has loosened and relocated "sticky dust", or something in the cleaning media that sticks to the stylus. My recommendation is always the same. Nothing works better for me than the old fashioned method as recommended by many older manufacturers, the 45/45 degree method by hand with a stylus brush. Back to front in a straight line does not clean the front surface of the stylus, so a lot of debris remains on the stylus. The 45/45 degree (I do a steeper angle but do so very carefully) cleans more completely. I also recommend the use of cleaning fluid, perhaps from discwasher, or isopropyl alcohol. The only exception is Ortofon, which supposedly the glue reacts to isopropyl (they really should change their epoxy formula IMO)

For more than 40 years of playing records, I've never had a stylus fall off, nor observed any degradation of the glue by using fluid. Fluid gets the stylus clean, as it may encounter gummy insect refuse, or any other petrol based or resin based residue on a record. Fluid is needed to get that stuff off your stylus.

I'd stay away from all gimmick cleaning devices, I do not like the magic eraser method (not as effective as fluid with 45/45 degree method) I have not personally tried an ultra-sonic cleaning device, maybe the only device that actually works well.

Rock on
    Steve VK

Brian Gupton likes this.
  3. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The Signet cleaning brush is among the finest ever made. I suggest the vintage Signet brush from the 80's a very dense brush but flexible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.