New for December 2019 SACDs from Dutton Vocalion (B W Stevenson, Guess Who, Buddy Miles, Santana)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fredblue, Dec 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Sounds like I'll be getting Argent & Buddy. Thanks again!

ShallowMemory and art like this.
  2. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I compared the discrete and SQ sourced quad tracks and it’s almost a toss-up. There are points in some of the discrete tracks where I might be hearing slight muffling or distortion on a vocal or a sax part, but I do mean slight. But to counter that, there are places in the SQ encoded tracks where I feel the channel separation is not quite as accurate as on the discrete tracks, so overall it’s kind of a wash. I guess the duplication of tracks gives the listener options and the best of both worlds.

On another note, I pulled out my old CTI LP box and compared it to the SACD DSD stereo layer. Rudy Van Gelder’s recording still sounds superb on vinyl!!

fredblue likes this.
  3. art

art Senior Member

The B.W. Stevenson albums sound phenomenal. And Calabasas (featuring Linda Ronstadt and others) is like a great Jimmy Webb album Webb never made. Never heard it before.

fredblue and Juggsnelson like this.
  4. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

It seems as though the best way to purchase these are through Dutton Vocalian directly? The prices are varied but I want some of them. I have the vinyl record of Booger Bear!

jacek2 likes this.
  5. moomoomoomoo

Grooves is slightly cheaper if you don't mind waiting to order until 1/17/20.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  6. siebrand

siebrand music lover

Thank you.
    ordered it this morning!
    bought me, in 2019, some other great titles of "Vocalion", I think they sound pretty good!

These three, really, are great!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

PhantomStranger and fredblue like this.
  7. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Ooh er the Argent double arrived today and on stereo sacd layers sounds really swell.
    Can we have All Together Now which I know is stereo only as well please?

Dok and fredblue like this.
  8. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I hadn't heard this one before but I like it. The SQ (two channel) is good for this period of Buddy Miles releases. It isn't a great sound but it is clean and seems to have a good dynamic range. If you are a Buddy Miles fan, you will enjoy this one. :thumbsup:

fredblue and art like this.
  9. moomoomoomoo

I Could be wrong, but I don't think Dutton does stereo only. 4.0 seems to be there niche.

10. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Dutton definitely does stereo-only SACDs.

Here are ones I'm aware of:

CDLX7312 Felix Mendelssohn Heimkehr aus der Fremde Overture & Concerto in E
    & Frédéric Chopin Grand Concerto SACD Hybrid Stereo
    CDLX7314 Havergal Brian Wine of Summer & Symphonies Nos 19 & 27 SACD Hybrid Stereo
    CDLX7315 Charles-Marie Widor Volume 3
    Violin Concerto & Symphony no.1 SACD Hybrid Stereo
    CDLX7320 Benjamin Britten, Frederick Delius & Robin Milford Benjamin Britten, Frederick Delius & Robin Milford SACD Hybrid Stereo
    CDLX7322 Ralph Vaughan Williams A London Symphony SACD Hybrid Stereo
    CDLX7323 Sergei Bortkiewicz Violin Concerto/Othello tone poem SACD Hybrid Stereo
    CDLX7325 Witold Maliszewski Piano Concerto in B flat minor/Symphony No. 3 SACD Hybrid Stereo
    CDLX7326 Cyril Scott Poem ‘The Melodist and the Nightingales’/Arnold Bax: Variations for Orchestra/George Butterworth: Fantasia for Orchestra SACD Hybrid Stereo
    CDLX7327 Walter Braunfels Vol. 3: Don Gil von den grünen Hosen Suite/Konzertstücke/Die Vogel/Serenade/Don Gil Prelude SACD Hybrid Stereo
    2CDLX7331 Arthur Sullivan Macbeth (Incidental music)/The Tempest (Incidental music)/Marmion Overture SACD Hybrid Stereo
    CDLK4596 Angela Morley Watership Down - Original Film Soundtrack SACD Hybrid Stereo
    CDSML8533 Dave Valentin Land of the Third Eye SACD Hybrid Stereo
    CDSML8541 Weather Report Night Passage SACD Hybrid Stereo
    CDSML8542 Angela Bofill Angie & Angel of the Night SACD Hybrid Stereo
    CDSML8549 Dave Valentin Pied Piper & bonus tracks SACD Hybrid Stereo
    CDSML8555 Dave Valentin In Love's Time & bonus tracks SACD Hybrid Stereo
    CDLK4632 Paul Mauriat En España & Michèle & bonus tracks SACD Hybrid Stereo
    CDLK4629 Paul Mauriat Dans Les Yeux D'Emilie & bonus tracks SACD Hybrid Stereo

11. moomoomoomoo

Well in that case, they've got a lot of catching up to do! :p

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

The phone browser isn't as good as th he desktop browser, but here is where to look
    Dutton Vocalion Products

13. moomoomoomoo

I meant the Sony owned stereo (or mono) catalog

14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I ordered 5 discs from Dutton on 12/13 and have yet to receive them - just wondering if anyone else is waiting for the December SACDs to arrive in the US?

Thanks,

sharedon and Larry Geller like this.
  15. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

My order for the Don Sebesky SACD got here very quickly. I’d have to do a little digging if you want to know the exact timeframe.

16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I ordered December 17 from their Amazon.ca storefront and they arrived this past Wednesday, so you should be getting yours soon.

17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That's odd. I ordered after you, my discs shipped on 12/23 and they arrived yesterday.

18. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I placed my order with no-tracking economy shipping on 12/18, it shipped the following day and arrived here in NJ before the new year.

19. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Still waiting on mine in US, ordered 12/17. Argh.

20. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

Ordered on 12/17. Received a shipping notice on 12/20. Arrived in Canada Tuesday of this week.

21. Dok

Dok Senior Member

DV said it shipped on the 19th and they still are yet to arrive. Close to 3 weeks now. :sigh:

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If the original discrete master is no longer available, that probably means they used the quad 8-track as the master, since that's the only released discrete source. I hate it when otherwise good labels like Dutton are so opaque about things like this.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    quicksrt and moomoomoomoo like this.
  23. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music Thread Starter

aside from the SQ LP box and Q8 set, the Quad also saw release on Reel to Reel, they may have sourced a copy of that for the discrete presentation.

24. moomoomoomoo

I personally would like to know what the source is for the releases.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Are you sure? I don't see this release on the quad discographies in the reel format.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.