New for December 2019 SACDs from Dutton Vocalion (B W Stevenson, Guess Who, Buddy Miles, Santana)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fredblue, Dec 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Those CTI quad reels are kind of hard to find. They never were released at the time but Russell Fields when he was running the Reel Society was able to get ahold of the tapes that were made at Ampex. After all, he used to work there too so I guess he knew where to find them. He's dead now. Not of old age. Diabetes.

2. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music Thread Starter

yes, CTI Q4's are seriously uncommon but they're for real.

fwiw the Q8s of this one are pretty thin on the ground too, i gave up looking for the tapes and stuck with the SQ LPs, so for me this SACD waa a real boon.

Quadraphonic Discography "Quadraphonic Reel to Reel Popular Recordings"

[​IMG]

Bill Mac likes this.
  3. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I'd like to hear the BBC Santana from your list.

Bill Mac, Frans T and fredblue like this.
  4. fredblue

so would i..! :biglaugh:

ti-triodes and Bill Mac like this.
  5. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

How's the quad mix of Argent's In Deep? Anyone compare the original CD release to this one?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  6. fredblue

engineered by EMI's Peter Bown (who also mixed the Barclay James Harvest "Once Again" Quad and mixed Pink Floyd's "Atom Heart Mother" in Quad together with Alan Parsons) its quite unlike a number of other early CBS Pop Quads of that time, in that its not mixed in a "4-corner" fashion with things placed hard in each corner position of the soundfield to try and make the most of the SQ system (like the Sly and the Family Stone G.Hits Quad mixes, for example) but has more variation in instrument placement and is an active and at times aggressive surround presentation with front to back and 360-degree panning. i like it, its never less than engaging that's for sure. i have not compared it with any other version, apart from my old SQ Quad LP and Q8 Quad 8-track, it trounces both of those in every way.

kenbefound likes this.
  7. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

I'm usually the first in line to save a buck but in this very rare situation I am opting to order directly to support the company. Clearly this is a labor of love as they can't be making a lot of money selling SACD's at £12 a pop. My hope is Dutton will continue to thrive and offer us these gems that have been sitting in the vaults for far too long.

8. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Ditto.

9. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

These were instant purchases for me. Essential for surround lovers and great music in any format really. The quality of Dutton Vocalion's work, at the current price point, is unmatched. I understand some of these artists might not be at the top of everyone's list of all time favorites but there is A LOT of great music here. The B.W. Stevenson blew me away. I'd only heard the big hit going into it but came away a fan.

10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I didn't buy any from the December batch yet. I may decide to pull the trigger on a couple titles. But I ordered several from the January batch, and they've shipped. Can't wait to hear them.

I also received over the weekend the Charlie Rich two-fer (Behind Closed Doors) and thought that was one of the better transfers. American Woman/Share the Land was good too.

Simon A likes this.
  11. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

12. moomoomoomoo

I hear you. I am really low income & have to go for the best price, which for USA residents is Grooves. Dutton direct is cheaper than any other source I'm aware of.

kenbefound and Simon A like this.
  13. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Lukpac, is this true for all the titles "Wheatfield Soul/Canned Wheat and American Woman/Share The Land"? I just listened to the SACD of Share the Land vs. the Vic Anesini master and I found the Vic mastering sounded a bit bright and slightly compressed.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Anesini’s masterings are from the master tapes and aren’t compressed. I don’t believe they used much EQ either. His work has been superlative, starting with Anthology.

I’d have to revisit for specifics, but yes, I recall similar faults with the Dutton AW/STL.

Rockin' Robby and Dennis Metz like this.
  15. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I like most of Vic's work on the Guess Who catalog but never liked his Share the Land mastering. I feel that the mastertape is most likely bright to begin with, but it just sounds harsh to me on my system. The SACD is a bit easier on the ears. There are some tracks that have digital overs on the Vic mastering, but not sure how much peak limiting was used.

16. moomoomoomoo

I haven't heard the Dutton Wheatfield/Canned. I have the other 2 (4 albums). Each album sounding very different from the others & 1 sounding awful caused my previous post on these. I don't remember which of the 4 was the really bad one. The point of my previous post is that Dutton would seem to be doing flat transfers of whatever master the label provides. I noticed drastic volume difference between the GW albums on the same SACD also. IMO, SACD's are generally going to sound better than any cd unless the mastering or source totally sucks.

I agree, there was 1 of the 4 albums that was obviously a safety with hiss before each song, very low volume, & a muddy sound in general. I thought the other 3 were ok. IMO, Dutton is not the best sounding of the SACD co's; but there are so few left that I'm somewhat grateful to get them at all.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't think so. There's evidence of noise reduction on some of the Guess Who tracks.

18. Playing the 5 titles released in December, and so far another great batch from DV. Especially Guess Who and BW Stevenson. Also ordered 5 new titles for January. This is an absolute lifeline for the format, truth be told, while I have the capacity to play surround I have little interest in quad layer, I’m here strictly for the high resolution stereo mix with this series, but I’m glad others who enjoy quad get their fill too. Keep them coming!

Blair G., Instant Karma and fredblue like this.
  19. moomoomoomoo

I'm also only in for the hi-res stereo. Other than the ultra pricey Japanese SACD's, afaik we're down to APO, MFSL & Dutton.

art, Blair G. and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  20. Intervention Records is about to throw their hat back into the SACD ring.

21. moomoomoomoo

That's great news. Joe Jackson on SACD? They'd get my $'s!

22. moomoomoomoo

Just ordered Argent (Grooves got it in stock). Going to hold off on Buddy in hopes of a price drop, & am really on the fence on Guess Who as the tracks I am familiar with & like on these 2 albums are all on greatest hits which I did purchase. I would buy an SACD of Live At The Paramount (Guess Who) in a flash!

23. Which titles, besides Burrito Deluxe, any idea?

24. Really enjoying Argent SACD two-fer!
    G-d Gave Rock & Roll To You in high resolution- just wow!

fredblue, giantleech and Dok like this.
  25. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Well, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one waiting what seems to be becoming an unexpectedly long time. I've been feeling like the Marvelettes here lately when I go to my mailbox and see nothing but an escaping moth as its contents. :sigh:

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.