New Garrard 301

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, May 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

With current exchange rates even with shipping Ray may work out the cheapest reliable option depending on what needs doing, his all in one price covers a ton of stuff including parts if needed, a proper box and new mat.

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

As said above, do more research on more local options. Restoring a 301 is an esoteric skill set, but all of the pros are doing the just about the same work and there’s no reason to ship it to another country.

googlymoogly and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

For those saying not to ship it overseas, I do get what you are saying, but I suggest you see what Ray actually charges and then get a quote from nearer home, Ray makes a lot of 301 parts which he includes if needed so if your 301 needs parts as well as the usual labour shipping to Ray in the UK could still work out cheaper. Ray charges £375 if you don't need a repaint, that's $451 including parts if needed.

Servicing Page – Classic Turntable Company Ltd – Supplying Garrard 301 Turntables

googlymoogly likes this.
  4. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I would never recommend against CTC based on skill set, as he does very good work indeed, and the parts he makes and sells are of excellent quality (the person I bought my Garrard 401 from had had it restored by Ray, and it’s in fine fettle). @Dubmart is right to recommend him and get a quote, but the risk too is that the ‘table might come in for additional duties being shipped to Blighty, as well as exchange rates fluctuating, and conversion costs being passed on to the customer (could be somewhat advantageous, but the risk is still there).

I would also assume the worst when it comes to restoration, and budget accordingly - i.e., the ‘table very well may need more extensive work to fully refurbish it than it looks like from a cursory examination.

5. ANALOGFOREVER

ANALOGFOREVER Member

Got an E-Mail back from Ray. He seems cheap almost. Mine will need a new repaint, plating, switches, and the plaques also. He does beautiful work. He recommended the Layer of Beauty plinths.

I'm tempted to forgo the veneer and go for the solid Cherry seeing that Ken Shindo used that. Or maybe veneer a sold Cherry plinth! Thoughts?

6. googlymoogly

Does the quote also include a full motor servicing and repairs, as needed?

7. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

My whole investment in a Garrard 401 with a Rega arm and a 1990's era Aphelon plinth is $225. Things have gotten crazy in the 15 years or so since I made the purchase.

8. ANALOGFOREVER

ANALOGFOREVER Member

This one is a hammertone one. I think that means it's a grease bearing. Art Dudley just wrote an article in Stereophile about putting an aftermarket bearing in his. I think I bought it at the right time.

9. regore beltomes

regore beltomes Forum Resident

Suggested retail price of new Garrard 301 $23,500.00 !! I do like the 12" arm though. Not so much the rest.

10. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

The business involves no longer providing some of the critical new parts that allow old 301's to be refurbished. Those Loricraft parts will not be available to anyone unless they own the "new" tables. In time, the company plans to manufacture anew, more of the components of the old table that are needed for their refurbishment business. This might make it harder to refurbish and maintain the old tables.

As to the price, this probably reflects their estimation of the value/performance of the table. Is it competitive with other $20,000 tables in terms of performance? In some respects, such as sounding dynamic and lively, I would say that the big name idler tables--Thorens 124, Garrard 301, 401, Lenco--are superior to most modern tables at this price level. You don't have to be nostalgic to be willing to pay this price; the sound can justify the price.

11. googlymoogly

You can still buy a nicely refurbished Garrard 301 or 401, and then source a quality plinth and tonearm for a fraction of their asking price. It wouldn’t be inexpensive, but asking 24k for their package is pretty bold pricing.

Dubmart likes this.
  12. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

It surely is.
    When I'm flying, I see financial-type ads featuring a type of wealthy people I will never understand or meet.
    They do not scour ebay, they do not email Thomas Schick, they do not care what our 301 cost 15 years ago. They just want a new 301.
    They are not us.

jusbe and Clay B like this.
  13. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

I’m sure that person exists, but by and large I’d think the person interested in a 301 is an enthusiast, even if a billionaire. All it takes is a quick search to find Artisan Fidelity and Woodsong offering better than new 301’s for a third to half the price of the SME Garrard. I was excited when I initially heard SME bought the name, but as of now I don’t think there’s much to see here.

14. googlymoogly

That would be my take as well (but maybe there are more than a few deep-pocketed Asian enthusiasts who will gladly join the queue for a new 301).

15. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

The Artisan Fidelity and Woodsong plinths are really nice looking, but, the prices are also quite high going that route. The alternative to these heavy, multi-layer plinths, is a really cheap, simple lightweight plinth and box frame. A local dealer in my area who sells almost exclusively Garrard 301 and Thorens 124 to someone seeking a high-end table (he will also recommend the Audio Note table), actually prefers the sound of the light-weight plinths with these idler tables.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.