New George Miller film "Three Thousand Years of Longing"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Apparently nobody has discussed this yet, but we've seen the trailer in the theater a dozen times, and it just looks astounding.

I haven't been this excited about a trailer since the one for Everything Everywhere All At Once.

Tilda Swindon stars as a lonely widow who finds a bottle, and Idris Elba stars as the genie. The trailer has production design that I haven't seen in anything since the tragically underseen film The Fall.

His last film was Mad Max: Fury Road. Other great ones by him include Lorenzo's Oil and Gene Siskel's best film of 1998, Babe Pig In The City.

2. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Thanks for posting, I always look forward to what ever George Miller has come up with. I had the pleasure of working on his ill-fated version of Contact back in 1995. I’ve always felt if he had been able to make it it would have been a classic.

3. Chris DeVoe

I enjoy the Robert Zemeckis film - all the way up to the point where they wimped out and equated scientific knowledge with religious belief. Penn Jillette wrote an essay about how it made him practically taste blood, that it was against everything that Carl Sagan stood for.

I very much would have liked to have seen the film that George Miller would have made.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    nutsfortubes and DigMyGroove like this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

I'm in the theater for a free screening at my local Cinemark theater.

Sadly, most of the other people don't really seem to be here for the new George Miller film, they're just here because it's a free screening.

For instance, they're complaining about the fact that Cinemark no longer offers free refills on drinks or popcorn - but that's been the case since they reopened after having to close due to the pandemic.

So I can only assume they haven't been to this particular theater in several years, while Vickie and I were here last night to see two Indian films.

Amateurs!

longdist01 likes this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

Not a bad turnout:

[​IMG]

longdist01 likes this.
  6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Which is exactly why I stay far, far away.

7. Chris DeVoe

We were in the second of three rows in the front section, so we were at least 15 ft away from anyone else. And as I've pointed out multiple times, the air conditioning systems in movie theaters are actually far better than anything you'll encounter this side of a hospital. I follow several epidemiologists on Twitter, and they all agree that not one outbreak has been traced to a movie theater.

longdist01 likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

The film itself was brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. And I have no idea how they're going to sell this to the public. It is, at its heart, a romance, and a story about the power of stories.

I'm going to have to think a lot more about this film, definitely have a good night's sleep about it, and see it again before I can really talk about it. Suffice to say, there were parts that had me nearly in tears, but I'm also quite confident there will be people who will absolutely hate this.

9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

My response had nothing at all to do with Covid. It had everything to do with being in a situation with people who are just there in the theater to watch a movie that is free. That alone holds zero appeal for me.

nutsfortubes and Fabrice Outside like this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

They were surprisingly quiet and respectful through the film, which surprised me because I overheard a number of them talking waiting for the theater to fill up.

We got there nearly 45 minutes early, because they typically distribute more tickets than they actually have seats, figuring that not everyone will show up. The theater was actually about 50% full.

I talked with a young man in front of me in the line, and apparently he hadn't seen anything directed by George Miller - none of the Mad Max films, neither of the Babe films, The Witches of Eastwick or Lorenzo's Oil.

So I got to have my "kids today" moment, but on the other hand few people have seen as many films as Vickie and I have.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

The trailers do look interesting and Miller usually delivers. However, i can imagine it was a movie that while looks stunning for the audience, for the poor actors it was 8 weeks sitting on green blocks in a windowless green hanger.

12. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Looks very cool and if Mr. Miller made it, I'm in. Never heard of it before thanks for sharing. Its on my must see list now.

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The answer is they can't sell it, it's not Marvel or DC. I'm very interested in it, but I think they just have to pray for word of mouth. It looks like they made a film that they wanted and were pleased with. They have to hope that people who like different stuff like Coens or Wes will come out for it.

longdist01 likes this.
  14. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I am looking forward to this!

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Playing only in movie theatre‘s. :righton:

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Fall ?
    I rate.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

this is our film choice for the weekend. i'm stoked for it but the wife is a little less so based on the trailer/reviews. will report back.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

I hope you and your wife enjoy it - My wife and I definitely did.

I would encourage everyone to see it in the theater, if for no reason other than the astonishing art direction. But the story has remained in my head, especially the part about Sophia, and her second wish to have access to all the knowledge of the world.

I haven't bothered to read many reviews of the film. Not that I'm worried that they'll show me the foolishness of my own positive reaction to it, or to witness the foolishness of the critic for missing what I most valued. It's like the negative reviews that I saw of Jojo Rabbit, and how they had nothing to do with my own experience of the film, that I could feel nothing but pity for those who didn't understand the film.

19. Chris DeVoe

Vickie saw The Fall in the theater as many as 10 times. She was so impressed that she actually kept going back to the theater that she most disliked in the city of Chicago, the Landmark, to see it.

longdist01 and alexpop like this.
  20. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

didn't make it to the film Chris due to illness. hopefully this weekend.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

I'm sorry to hear that you're ill. Hopefully you'll still be able to see it in the theater. It really is a remarkable cinematic vision.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Has anyone else seen this other than Chris??

23. Chris DeVoe

My wife Vickie?

Oh, and @brownie61 saw it and loved it.

24. For which "the poor actors" were extremely well-paid, I'm sure.

25. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Yes, I saw it on Sunday and loved it. I may go see it again for National Cinema Day on Saturday.

I posted about it in The last movie you saw in the theater thread. There are two general movie threads I follow and post in, and then I found this one yesterday. It’s hard to know where to post, and I don’t like to crosspost the same thing in multiple threads.

Chris DeVoe likes this.