New Gold Note DS-10 EVO Line Dac/Streamer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Looks like a substantially upgraded unit.
    Scroll down to technical specifications and then to models for info. Really interested to hear some hands on evaluation as I really like my present DS-10.

Gold Note | DS-10 - Streaming DAC

DMM714 likes this.
  2. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident

I see nothing compelling about the Evo over the original. I would be surprised if they sounded any different at all on like material, though that won't stop the "night and day difference" crowd from describing their fever dreams...

Cheers,
    Robert

Rick58 and Khorn like this.
  3. DMM714

DMM714 Forum Resident

I love my DS-10/EVO power supply. The main new feature that intrigues me is the over the air firmware upgrade. Hopefully this can be added to the previous model with the next update.

Khorn likes this.
  4. Khorn

Exactly!

5. WildPhydeaux

Although I've never owned one I'm quite smitten with the DS10 and hope to own one someday, if only as a bedside headphone rig. So don't take this as negative to the product or company who I respect... But OTA firmware updates as a firmware update to the existing unit is very unlikely in my opinion. That and the increased rates for HiRes are really the only substantive thing that distinguishes the EVO version. I would predict that the original version will be discontinued in the not too distant future. Might be a great time for a cheap-skate such as myself to look for one when they do - maybe they will discount them when existing stock gets low.

Cheers,
    Robert

Khorn likes this.
  6. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

What does over the air firmware upgrade mean exactly? My Auralic Aries Mini gets firmware upgrades via Wifi I assume that's the same thing?

Khorn and Rick58 like this.
  7. WildPhydeaux

It would be reasonable to assume they mean updates are possible with an Internet connection via wired or wireless.

I know the regular DS-10 could only be updated by placing the downloaded firmware file on a USB stick and connecting that to the unit. Reports of the process being poorly documented and flakey aside, it doesn't seem that onerous to me for how often you would need to do it, perhaps 2-3 times over the life of the product.

It IS odd that such a streamer would be released without this feature, its certainly the norm for most all connected electronics these days. But Gold Note marches to the beat of their own drum I guess. Nothing wrong with that.

Cheers,
    Robert

Khorn, Rick58 and jonwoody like this.
  8. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people

Over the air firmware updates make this very intriguing. Would the EVO power supply still work with it? (A question for Gold Note)

Khorn likes this.
  9. Khorn

I do believe it does.

10. LovemyEsoteric

LovemyEsoteric Active Member

I have the Ds-10 and have Ben getting OTA firmware updates via wifi with no issues so not sure that this is a difference with the new EVO model. The only substantial change I see is that it allows for an analog input but otherwise don’t see any reasons to upgrade.

jonwoody likes this.
  11. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Same. My DS-10 is hardwired and gets updates all the time. Not a new feature.

Khorn likes this.
  12. Khorn

Mine doesn’t directly do firmware. It has to be downloaded to a USB key then installed. The new one does it directly.