Grateful Dead Live Compilation "30 Trips Around the Sun" *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluej, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I havent read the whole thread (sorry) but it seems like the 76 Cobo show is disappointing to most.

The second set (SBD) was one of the first tapes I ever got back in my tape trading days. I wouldn't pay a premium for the show, but I always liked that second set. The AUD ain't too shabby either from what I recall.

2. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I wish the Dead had covered this song. Bobby could've sung the Nancy Sinatra parts. Phil would be Lee Hazelwood.

bzfgt likes this.
  3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

What do they serve for breakfast in Colorado these days?

bzfgt, notesofachord, ronbow and 2 others like this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Coffee and smokes?

5. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

lovin' the 1978 show this morning…especially 1st set…

DocShipe and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That's one of the real gems from the box. I agree with you, that first set is brilliant.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

We used to call that the "Seattle speedball". Now legal in Seattle, although not back then.

bzfgt, trd, nitsuj and 1 other person like this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That was the first one that I listened to for a second time after my initial run through the box. Followed by '67.

budwhite and Rne like this.
  9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

If only Belushi had taken that speedball instead

wavethatflag and Crispy Rob like this.
  10. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Does anyone else feel that they could've chosen more stellar shows overall? I'm taking my time getting through the box, and am up to 1984 so far. But there have really been not that many shows which I would say are exemplary. Most are merely pretty good. I'm thinking that they deliberately made the choice to hold off on the top-of-the-line shows for future Vault releases.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

First of all, every choice is subjective, what DL sees as an epic show might sound dull to some of us, and vice-versa. In my opinion, there set features a mixture of stellar nights and regular shows which are not as impressive. In the case of some years, finding a stellar show is quite difficult (I'm thinking of 1986 or 1995, for instance). I was dissapointed by 1971 and 1976, two years I really like, and felt gladly surprised by 1983, a year from which I was not expecting much. Overall, it's a very satisfying release and I don't regret having bought it. Could have it been better? Oh, yes, that's for sure, I have several "complaints" about the porch crusher, but, once again, if given the task of compiling it, each Dead fan would have put together a different anthology of shows, so it's imposible to keep us all satisfied.

bzfgt, notesofachord, JayB and 3 others like this.
  12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'm not a fan of 1976, so the '76 show on the box fit right in with my expectations - a low point. But I really like 7-17-76. So I agree, subjectivity plays a large role.

13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

At least, there's an almost general consensus: 11/10/67 is a beast.

14. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I agree but there are a number of shows in the box that could have been individual releases. Aside from 67 & 77 which now are individual releases, 69, 70, 72, 73, 74, 78, 79, 84, 87, 89 and 91 could have been held back, but we got them. So I am quite happy with the box. Sure there are duds, but only three by my count-76, 86, and 93. Pretty good %.

15. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

i absolutely LOVE the box and have thoroughly enjoyed each and every show…(pass the kool aide please)...

16. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

To be honest with you, it leaves me wanting more 80's and 90's mixed in with all the great 70's stuff they've been releasing. I cannot believe how much I enjoyed so much of the later era shows. (Or parts of shows)

But no, I guess I'm looking at all of the shows on this set as sort of a bonus. I sort of think "what shows are too great to not release, but probably won't get released anytime soon because of all the other great shows!"

bzfgt, jeffsab and notesofachord like this.
  17. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I only picked up the 4CD compilation, but I'm with you on the '80s stuff. Disc 3 ('81-'87) is my 2nd favorite (after disc 1) of the four discs. To me - that was a surprise!

bzfgt, PhoffiFozz and wavethatflag like this.
  18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Notwithstanding that the man seems to get enthused about all releases, I doubt DL is of the opinion that more than a few of these shows even approach "epic". The main selling point was to release a show from every year to celebrate an anniversary. My friend who is more Dead than me and has an unmanageable amount of this music all around his apartment opined that other than the '65 show, the second set of which had been previously unavailable anywhere (according to him but I'll take his word for it), there's nothing especially special in the box. But, you know, he still wouldn't be without it.

I sort of understand why you and @Crispy Rob find the '71 to be a lesser '71. I was raving about it in The Grateful Thread, but I was actually talking about '70. When I get confused I need to listen to it the music play and lay off the computer keyboard.

Anyway, although the '71 features the wonderfully wholesome instrumental sounds of that stellar era, the show and even Pig's rap never really take off. You want it to but it doesn't.

My biggest fear with this set was that about '81-'86 would be dire and make me wolf, but that has not happened.
    Brent on the '85 Minglewood is doing everything right, and Jerry is right there with him after the organ solo.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

You mean '66, not '65, right? We are on the same page about the '71 show, this is a good concise summary of my reaction to it, too. The 1970 show indeed is epic, one of the best in the box. I'd venture to say that many of the shows between '67-'78 could easily have been standalone releases, with the exception of '71 and '76 the rest of those are at least as good as some shows from the same years that also have been released. Most of the Brent and Vince era shows are among the best of each year as well, although due to the recording limitations some were unlikely to see a release. '87 and '89 always seemed like candidates for individual release, as did '82, '84, and possibly '83. The only ones to me that would seem unworthy of release outside of the box are '81, '86, and '88 ('81 suffering from lack of sbd for the last half of set 2, and the '88 being a good show, but not as good as the three that preceded it, and probably not top 10 or 15 of a year where only one-and-a-half shows have been released). I'm very, very happy with the box overall, although I can pick a few nits here or there when I'm so inclined.

bzfgt, budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  20. trd

trd Forum Resident

I love starting Sunday mornings with a hippie speedball

budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  21. wavethatflag

Yup. The first show is '66, not '65, my bad.

22. wavethatflag

I don't know what's more naive, that I didn't know this behavior had a name or that I thought I invented it. I guess the latter. :D

23. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

Still laboring through 85. Not quite a bad trip but no where near 67, 70 or 72. I actually was pleasantly surprised by 83 & 84. Been 3 months since I started and I still have 86-95 to get to.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Rne likes this.
  24. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Can anyone tell me which of these shows were from Multi-tracks as opposed to the 2-track recordings?
    I believe there are 2 multi-tracked shows on this set.

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The 1967 and 1989 shows are the multitrack recordings.

Shvartze Shabbos and vudicus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.