New HBO series, "Vinyl"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by geoffr, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

At least we have Westworld to look forward too.

2. in other news, HBO just green lighted Compact-Disc :tiphat:

3. There's so many better shows on HBO

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Hey...spin off!

Mazzy likes this.
  5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I see what you did there and got me to crack a smile.

jon9091 and Mazzy like this.
  6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Don't you feel every character on Vinyl should have there own show to truly tell the depth of their individual story properly?
    o_O

jon9091 likes this.
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm through the first five episodes of this. After the pilot, it is very good. The pilot just seems so ugly and joyless. It was a real slog to get through. I didn't like the pilot of Boardwalk Empire either (also directed by Scorcese) and felt that series immediately got better after that.

8. videoman

videoman Senior Member

That's where I'm at with it. We watched episode 5 last night. The first one was tough. We thought it was well-done, but it was a bit rough and SO LONG that we almost didn't bother to go further with the series. But now we've gotten into it. Ray Romano is great and so is Olivia Wilde. I think James Jagger is quite good as well for what he's doing and what the character is. It's overdone and over the top but that's kind of the point of the whole thing, I think. The entire thing is about excess. I'm wasn't expecting a documentary about the record industry in the 1970s. But, like I said a few posts up, I think I'd probably like it more without the real-life-character portrayals. Although I did like the Devon/Andy Warhol scenes.

I'm subscribing to HBO just long enough to watch Game of Thrones, so we'll bust through the last 5 episodes of this in the next few days and shut it down until next time.

9. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

What the hell, I thought they already announced a second season, now it's cancelled? Who cares if the show was a bit bombastic, it was better than most of the garbage on television. What a shame.

Gavinyl, Darksolstice and Adam9 like this.
  10. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

The show its self was utter garbage. So by your estimation most everything else is pure excrememt

11. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Wasn't there a band in there called Mr. Hanky & The Excrementals...? ;)

12. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

Could the show have done without the crime storylines and been less exaggerated and obnoxious at times? Sure, but as a rock music fan who shuns nearly everything on TV besides Anthony Bourdain's TV shows, this show captured my attention far more than anything else has. I haven't been caught up in watching a serial drama in awhile, and I thought this would be my next show. It had its flaws, but its storyline was still very interesting for me. This wasn't a show to take too seriously.

13. videoman

videoman Senior Member

"Utter garbage"? Nah. Not by a long shot. Over the top? Excessive? Absolutely. Seems that was the intent however. Obviously it didn't strike a chord with enough viewers. Oh well. Such is life. But I'm enjoying it in the same way I enjoy Game of Thrones, House of Cards, The Walking Dead and other over the top but still fun shows

JoeRockhead and Beet like this.
  14. ServingTheMusic

Fair enough..but note that in 15 years, you can count on one hand shows canned after one season.

It did not resonate in any way with the vast majority of HBO viewers. Over promised and under delivered.

15. ServingTheMusic

See my last post. A dud is a dud. It had the very worst gratuitous instincts that Scorsese sometimes fails to keep under comtrol. It was a cartoon.

16. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Actually, far more shows don't make it past the first season than do.

I get your point about Scorsese however. I still thought it was good fun. It's not like I'm overly bummed out that its cancelled or anything. But I certainly found worse ways to kill an hour. I found nearly every scene visually interesting. Enjoyed most of the story lines. And liked a lot of the acting performances.

ServingTheMusic likes this.
  17. Vritra

Vritra Forum Resident

Not surprising, even after the initial renewal decision. 'Vinyl' was not so much a coherent show as it was a montage of cliches and stereotypes, both of the '70s New York music scene and New York Mafia-related organized crime. I went in prepared to like it and wanting to like it, but it was remarkably boring and I couldn't find a single character I cared about even a little. I haven't been a fan of Scorcese's recent work or of Terence Winter's recent work, and 'Vinyl' seemed to exhibit the worst of both.

18. Linda Belcher

Linda Belcher Well-Known Member

i'm pissed off they canceled it... i happened to like it... i know it was flawed, but i could look past it and dive imagination-first into the retro style and nostalgia of it all... i hate executives... i really do... putzes, all of them! puh!

19. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Yeah. The show wasn't perfect, but it was still a fun watch. This forum was too tough on it. I was kind of looking forward to the rise of CBGB. Oh well, not to be.

20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I don't think it's a matter of the forum being too tough on it. People are just sharing their experiences. I thought the show was terrible - you really enjoyed it and had fun watching it. Both are views are valid because it's what we experienced. Anything you hate someone else is gonna love.

21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I haven't minded those at all. Some work better than others, but I think it would be worse if it stuck only to completely fictional musicians.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think that was exactly the problem of the show. They took the excesses of the 1970s and cranked them to "11."

I could've lived without all the crime that was in the show, and just backed it off a bit and emphasized the music more. I've been told by an HBO insider that after much discussion, the show was yanked because of "conceptual problems that couldn't be solved." My read into that is that they wanted changes that Scorsese and the other EPs couldn't live with. I also think the new HBO programming chief (replacing the previous guy that got fired a few weeks ago) decided the budget for Vinyl was very high -- over $3 million an episode -- and felt they could better spend that money elsewhere.

Full story in Variety:

HBO Cancels ‘Vinyl,’ Scrapping Plans for a Season 2 Revamp »

BTW, I think Esquire got the story wrong: I don't think it cost $100 million for 10 episodes. True, the 2-hour pilot did cost $30 million, but the 9 episodes that followed were roughly $4 million each ($66M total).

The Real Reason HBO Canceled Vinyl After One Season »

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    bradman likes this.
  23. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The show is the reason I subscribed too.

LitHum05 likes this.
  24. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Well....I hope you like John Oliver and Bill Mahr. They're the only reason I subscribe.

25. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

John Oliver I like. I used to like Bill Maher. My wife who's more of a TV watcher enjoys a few more shows. I do like the lack of commercials. I find as I age I become less and less tolerant of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.