New High Fidelity series trailer

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ACAB, Jan 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

I absolutely loved the movie - but I got about 15 minutes into the first episode of this and I was checked out.

Zoot Marimba and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  2. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Might be entertaining, but I don’t have Hulu...

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Where is the mono Beefheart?:D

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Jack Black made that movie.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Not feeling it from the preview. I dont' have Hulu anyway, but I'd maybe check this out sometime. My opinion is surely colored by loving the movie, but I just don't buy Zoe in this part. She seems too young, for one thing. I know she's 31, and Cusack was maybe 34 when he played the part. But there seems to be more of a gulf than those three years.

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

For those who are confused by the idea of a woman owning a record store, I'm just going to repost what I wrote on a previous thread about this TV show:

What are you people talking about? I can name three record stores owned by women in Kansas City off the top of my head - Love Records, the Music Exchange and Dirt Cheap Recycled Sounds (RIP Anne Winter).

You can make an excellent show just featuring stories about Annie. She had the show on the local community radio station KKFI called The Orphan Annie Show, she founded Kansas City's St Patrick's Day Parade and when she died the funeral home was so crowded you literally could not fit one more person in - they just couldn't open the door.

I remember one time she volunteered her record store to host an Amnesty International benefit concert. People showed up and moved every single record out of the store into the basement, set up the stage, enjoyed the concert, and then hung around afterwards to bring all the records back up from the basement so she could open the store the next morning.

[​IMG]

Just because some of you weren't lucky enough to know somebody like Annie doesn't mean she didn't exist.

7. Chris DeVoe

I'm afraid we've reached the age when everybody looks too young. When I was in the hospital, all the doctors - who I know for sure spent 7 years in college - all look like teenagers to me.

A friend's daughter is completing her residency right now, plans to be a surgeon, and I've known her since she couldn't be trusted to use the non-pointy scissors.

jpelg, Zeki and George P like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

"Mr. Melville... Can I call you Herman? Okay Herman... Does it have to be a whale?"

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Ditto. Wanted to like it more but I got bored and kept comparing it to the movie.

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That could be some of it, but I'm only 46. Cusack seemed believable as the jaded semi-burnout to me. What I saw of Zoe in that preview didn't give me that feeling about her at all.

Szeppelin75 and kwadguy like this.
  11. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

So they basically made a re-shoot of the original movie in the first two episodes (sometimes frame to frame) with "swapped" main characters to follow the trends. That's lazy. And none of them looks even remotely like a music nerd. And the shop is so cool there's a "No CDs" sign. Weak dialogues with that early 2000's MTV sitcom vibe.
    I don't know.

12. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Possibly my favourite book
    Loved the film
    Hate the trailer

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Couldn't past more than 15 minutes of the first episode. Won't be watching anymore.

Ghostworld likes this.
  14. Watched the first four episodes of this last night. Fabulous.

Yes it’s from a woman’s point of view which is refreshing but it has all the same musical and relationship things from the book and film. But updated.

Nicely shot and acted with great musical choices. .

It totally worked for me I rate it highly.

15. Thought that was good to get new audiences pulled in. A new generation who never saw the film or read the book.

16. EternalReturn

EternalReturn Forum Resident

I enjoyed it aswell. Zoe Kravitz is good in the role. I liked the original book + film, but i doubt this version would appeal to most on this forum. It's definitely aimed at younger audiences.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

What's worse is that they're shooting this on our lawn!

18. George P

George P Notable Member

From the trailer, it appears that this version has nothing to do with music and everything to do with the relationships. I'm hoping that I am wrong.

mooseman likes this.
  19. Well the original film was also really about relationships too, using records and top lists to further the stories along

it would be pretty boring to just talk about and show and play records without actually human contact and conflict.

Cusack’s relationships was what the film was really all about. The record store and music held it all together.

the tv show mirrors the film faithfully except reverses sex and updates music.

but pulling in Arrow Through me by McCartney was ideal. Wide variety of music in the series

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  20. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Not happening..:thumbsdow

21. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Look forward to watching one tonight

22. There really is a misogynist take from some of the audience here on this show. And turning off after 15 minutes . I shot through four espisides in one sitting

The original film was always primarily about failed relationships. The music and record store was the hook for most viewers.

Initially some were disappointed because the film was based in Chicago when the book was London.

There are women owned record stores and this new version takes that on. Zoe is very charismatic and somewhat screwed up. Much like Cusack was. He was obsessed with his exes and that’s exactly how the tv show starts out. You don’t have to know about the book or the film.

The music cues are great and not all new or hip. A nice mix of genres. I’m a 65 year old man and thoroughly enjoyed it so it not just for young folks It takes time to get to know these new characters and yes, they are slightly similar to those in the film. Since it is a series, after the initial storyline, I’m sure it will carry on in its direction.

It also has a bit of Sex in the City thrown in only because it takes place in New York and the main protagonist is a woman. Those who complain that it’s more about relationships than music and record stores apparently didn’t really grasp the concept of the original.

23. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

The only saving grace for me is that there was some Zappa music in the first episode :righton:

realkilroy likes this.
  24. EternalReturn

EternalReturn Forum Resident

Totally agree. I don't think it really gains momentum until the second episode. I've just finished Episode 4 and i think it's better than the John Cusack movie. Kravitz is definitely charismatic and really good at the dry humour/sarcasm. And some of the music selections are inspired - all the work of drummer/music nerd QuestLove/Ahmir Thompson (The Roots/D'Angelo/Jimmy Fallon Show).

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  25. EP 5 is based on the famous outtake from the film but takes it further. With the great Parker Posey.

Vinyl_Blues and chacha like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.