New High Fidelity series trailer

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ACAB, Jan 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kardiaclp

Kardiaclp Well-Known Member

Wasn’t sure after the first episode but then ended up binging the whole series with my wife. I’ve read the book and the original movie is one of my all time favorites, and thoroughly enjoyed the first season of this show. Different enough, but true to the point. And there are some great music moments (there’s a Fleetwood Mac rant early in the show that was fantastic).

2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I suppose if I hadn't seen and enjoyed the movie(and the book) so much, I would like this more. But watching it I can't help but compare pretty much everything to the movie. And that's not enjoyable for me. The show is fine, but it doesn't hold my attention like some other shows aimed at a younger demographic did/do. More a comment on my preference then on the quality of the show.

DLD likes this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

How many episodes are there?

4. 10

chacha likes this.
  5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved the movie will have to check this out.

Vinyl_Blues and chacha like this.
  6. chacha

Just watched first episode. Zoe is a Goddess and a terrific actor. I love that her name is Rob in this too. Very similar to the movie so far in a good way. Very entertained.

Vinyl_Blues, Mazzy and George P like this.
  7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

If it's the famous scene that I'm thinking about, it didn't need taken any further, what it needed was to actually be IN the film and not a deleted scene. I will NEVER forgive them for not including this "priceless" scene in the movie, as it was clearly it's best!

That new TV show looks extremely uninteresting to me, even if records and a store are involved. Makes me wish that I could just go back to Val Halla's Records in Chicago and watch her and her cat react to shoppers, which was far more entertaining than the trailers for this new TV show, in. my opinion?

Oak Park Record Store Val’s Halla Closing its Doors Nov. 30

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  8. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I've seen the movie, and it was OK. It didn't grab me as more than a curiosity, especially seeing Before and After Science in one of his LP racks!

I watched the first episode of the series. It was OK, Kravitz is good, and the supporting cast are pretty good, too. But, breaking the fourth wall gets on my nerves after a few minutes (I stopped watching Fleabag after a few episodes for the same reason).

It just didn't resonate with me enough to keep watching. I guess I enjoyed it about as much as I enjoyed the movie.

9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Now that I think about it....
    I'd think that 'young ladies' that KNOW about labels, label re-issues, and which band influences which other bands sounds.....
    well, it sounds sexy!

Chris DeVoe and BeatleJWOL like this.
  10. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Oh yeah, I found that annoying in Fleabag too. They even introduced a 'hiccup' into the idea, thinking that it was clever. It was not.

Still, I'd like to give this show a chance. Is there a free Hulu version, with commercials perhaps? Or is this show available on a fully paid account only?

11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

You said it, but sadly in this case, it's probably just read from a script.

12. Finished all 10 episodes and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes it is about relationships just like the box and movie version. But the soundtrack along the way is a nice addition. A good wide variety of genres.

Nice acting and direction with additional time to introduce more of the supplemental characters. Breaking the fourth wall happens just like the movie does and is a smart part of furthering the personal histories.

Highly recommended unless you are a guy who doesn't care for stories from a woman's point of view...like Sex in the City.

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Fleabag did that really well, IMO. HF not so much.

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I didn't like Sex In The City, and it had nothing to do with it being from a woman's point of view. Guilty pleasure of mine was Girls(please leave your thrashing of me at the door). Also love Better Things. Fleabag. Lots others. That HF doesn't do it for me has nothing to do with it being from a woman's point of view, and positioning it like that is kind of lame, IMO.

15. Well I wasn't quoting you but you seem to feel my personal comments reflected on what you might have written. But there have been several misogynistic comments about this series, even before it aired. Some here apparently have never heard about women owned record stores and seemed surprised this show was about relationships-just like the Cusack version.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I haven't read through the whole thread, but your comment suggested if one doesn't like this show it's because it's from a women's point of view. I found that a bit far reaching. But at least I understand what context you were making it.

Gumboo and Mazzy like this.
  17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Just, please tell me the ladies have arguments on the nature of taste and obsessions in 'music'....with comedic overtones!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  18. Actually I agree. It appears kind of interesting I was afraid it would be some sort of modern day update with no roots in the original story.

19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Reading through these comments, I'm shocked, absolutely shocked, that so many of you are still single.

My wife of 37 years is every bit as obsessive about music as I am - in fact, that's how we met, at a record store.

Vinyl_Blues, Dubmart and chacha like this.
  20. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

My daughter told me Zoe’s character’s apartment would be about $5k month. Not sure about the record store rent. Hopefully they drive a bit more customer traffic in later episodes.

Rob must be independently wealthy?

R. Totale likes this.
  21. Rent control. Remember the apartment in Friends too and pretty much every apartment in tv shows

Later episode shows the store busy on a Saturday

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Rob's apartment in Chicago was not crazy, and was pretty typical. They just wanted to set it in Brooklyn in the bizarre and totally unfounded belief that Brooklyn is somehow "cooler" than Chicago.

troggy and Dubmart like this.
  23. chacha

Watched the second episode tonight and really enjoyed it. More serious and darker in tone than the first. But I couldn’t get behind the scene refusing to sell the Michael Jackson record to the customer. If you feel so strongly about that issue then why are his records even in the store? Thought it was lame.

24. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I don't know about "ladies", but there were two music-related conversations in the first episode that were a bit comedic:
    1) On a blind date, when her date commented on Fleetwood Mac playing in the background, Rob launched into a long speech about all the songs on "Rumours".
    2) In the store, her two colleagues/friends bantered about the music they wanted to play. They were bantering about two artists I don't know, so I don't even remember who they were.

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I actually know of two record stores that had the Michael Jackson conversation with differing opinions from those working in the shops and both carried on selling his records, but with reservations, last I heard one had seen their sales of his records totally collapse after the documentary, I thought that whole scene was valid and very real although I was surprised they put it in even with all the "allegedly" comments, I think it's the alleged nature of things which is the only reason some shops still stock his records, I did like the Quincy Jones defence in the show though.

Vinyl_Blues and chacha like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.