New High Fidelity series trailer

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ACAB, Jan 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoe is 31 now. Lis Bonet was 20 in Angel Heart

2. APH

APH Forum Resident

Watched the first two episodes and enjoyed them. I hate the new Dr Who, so that wasn't a given.
    I was a bit worried I wouldn't get the updated music references, (top ten autotune vocals, now!) but nothing has given me any trouble so far. Really good choices overall.
    When the film came out, just about everyone I knew got in touch to tell me, 'they've made a film about you!' So it's slightly weird that this isn't about me and my generation at all. Playlists replace cassettes etc. But I'm okay with that. It just makes me feel very old!

Dubmart likes this.
  3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I was around 20 when "Angel Heart" came, that was a very longtime ago and I think both Lisa and I have aged well.:laugh:

scott palmiter and APH like this.
  4. APH

APH Forum Resident

Also liked that the Radio Stars are apparently cool now, hilarious! I have witnessed the young uns singing and dancing round to Come on Eileen so can vouch for the inclusion of that particular ditty.

5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I thought Technics was a sub-brand of Pioneer, and the SL1200 became so famous because it was incredibly rugged.

Back of my mobile disco days, we would buy a dozen turntables at a time, and both Pioneer and Kenwood made really rugged decks.

And I've never been in a record store that had a fancy turntable like the type discussed in the Hardware forum. I got the feeling they got brought into the store when somebody upgraded

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    troggy likes this.
  6. Back in the 70s, all of the stereo gear most of the record stores had (at least in San Francisco) were on loan from local stereo hi-fi stores. They were not high end gear but solid good equipment. A hi-fi shop like Pacific Stereo would loan gear out to the Record Factory to use for playback. The employees of both the record and stereo stores would get discounts from the other operation.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Although I know a store that only got rid of their B & O parallel tracker when they started selling dance 12"s in the mid-eighties, in the UK most shops use either a Technics or similar rugged DJ deck or something easy to use and long lasting, a Pioneer PL-12D or similar would fit the bill, modern plastic decks such as used in the series not only wouldn't last daily shop use, but aren't as easy to use and probably don't sound very good, a detachable head shell is also a bonus.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

A couple of shops here have Naim gear, direct from Naim, one has just a CD player, the other a full system I think that one also got a record deck direct from Technics so it still happens, a third shop moved in with a Hi Fi store so I guess they may use equipment the shop stocks as well, with all the young people getting into vinyl these days it probably makes more sense than ever, twenty somethings may not go to Hi Fi shops, but might take notice of how good something sounds in the record store. My friend stuck an ultrasonic cleaner on his counter, I reckon if he was selling them he'd have moved more than a 100 by now, he's always getting asked about it so people in record shops do take notice of what the shop uses.

Mazzy likes this.
  9. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Fixed.

APH, RolandG and Chris DeVoe like this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Didn't have time to look up to check.

Balthazar likes this.
  11. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I felt a little [​IMG] with my reply but couldn't resist. :laugh:

trd and Chris DeVoe like this.
  12. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

We watched episodes 5 and 6 last night and I really enjoyed both of them, particularly Ep. 5. I love the parts where it show's Rob's musical knowledge.

Vinyl_Blues, Kardiaclp and Mazzy like this.
  13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think Questlove has done a nice job with the music so far on this.

14. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

Worth Watching

Rob was cool

other 2 employees could of been cast Better

15. George P

George P Notable Member

I thought the woman who played the character that Jack Black played in the movie did a great job.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  16. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Cute initially in that they copied some scenes almost word for word (from the movie, one of my all time favs) but ultimately, as others have noted, I couldn't help but to compare this to the original. Bailed after 1.5 episodes. Did love the Fleetwood Mac rant with the blind date dude tho. In fact, the scene with them was my favorite scene. If you haven't seen the movie definitely worth a watch

17. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I like both of her employees/friends. I'm 3 episodes in now (not keen on binging), and the only thing that's starting to bother me is her moping. I hope I don't get sick of it.

18. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

There is a bit too much "woe is me" moping in a few episodes, though I recall the movie having those moments too.

19. George P

George P Notable Member

Rob, in the movie, moped in a more endearing, more likeable way.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  20. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

High Fidelity series finally makes it to Canada:

High Fidelity will debut on Starz in Canada on Friday, February 21, with all ten episodes dropping on its streaming platform and on-demand platforms. The series premieres on the Starz TV channels with two episodes on Sunday, February 23, and will continue to roll out with two episodes weekly.
    I've got my PVR set

21. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

I'm sort of hate watching this show. I just watched the episode with the record collection (which was a deleted scene in the movie) and I can't imagine any record collector, let alone record store owner, who would refer to the Beatles' "Butcher Cover" as the "Dead Babies Cover"?

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  22. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Wait until you get to all the sappy relationship stuff. You’ll really hate it then.

23. I'm a huge Beatles collector and I've heard people refer to it as exactly that. Maybe they don't write it out but, they've verbally make that bad taste joke about it. I know I have :tiphat:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    NaturalD, chacha and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. Yeah sappy relationship stuff just like in the film.....

Vinyl_Blues, chacha and BeatleJWOL like this.
  25. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

and book. :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.