New High Fidelity series trailer

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ACAB, Jan 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Just saw Enemy Of The State from 1998 with Lisa Bonet. It’s crazy how identical she looks to Zoe at that age. I think both 2 are the best looking women in the history of the world. I’ll watch anything with either of them in it.

2. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

High Fidelity was amazing. As good as the movie, and I definitely didn't see that coming. If anybody's still watching this thread, the show got cancelled. But while that was the most disappointing news in TV this year, this video made up for it a little bit. This is classic:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1291422900067676160

3. George P

George P Notable Member

#1 with a bullet!

4. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Cancelled?? They didnt even give it a shot! I was looking forward to season 2. What a shame...

5. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

In honor of High Fidelity’s untimely passing, my top 5 list of best one-season shows:

1. Freaks and Geeks
    2. Firefly
    3. High Fidelity
    4. Wonderfalls
    5. My So-Called Life

Honorable mention to Daybreak, also cancelled this season.

6. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

It's a shame about Daybreak, the first season was a lot of fun. I've also been reading that a possible reason for the cancellation of High Fidelity is that Zoe has been cast as Catwoman in an upcoming TV show about the character, although I don't know if this is just conjecture at this point

7. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

I hope that's true. That could definitely be a silver lining. It's been a long time since anyone has done Catwoman right (Michelle Pfieffer?). I'd love to see Zoe knock it out of the park.

8. jazon

That's cool and all but its kinda sad that she would jump ship so quickly for what I assume is a better paying gig.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

A lot of people that I respect really dug this show, so even though I wasn't very impressed with the first couple of episodes, I'm going to give it another chance with a more open mind and try very hard to not compare it to the movie or book, both of which I loved.

10. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

She is calling Hulu out publicly for cancelling its only show with a woman of colour in the lead, so I don’t think she jumped ship.

11. marmalade166

Where is she doing this? I thought the twitter video posted above wasn't actually Zoe but a lookalike

12. jazon

The twitter video was not Zoe but she replied to someone on twitter saying at least there are other Hulu shows with women of color...oh wait. This was the only new show I was looking forward to the next season of. With 10 episodes per season they would need at least 3 seasons to see where it goes. I don't wan to assume Zoe jumped ship for another gig as she seemed pretty invested in the show.

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi likes this.
  13. Kardiaclp

Kardiaclp Well-Known Member

Good for her for calling Hulu. Without seeing numbers it's impossible to know how the show did, I guess..but I really enjoyed it and thought there was a lot they could have done with it. Definitely disappointed.

14. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Very sad to see High Fidelity going away. While it had a bumpy start, it was a great example of a series really finding it's footing halfway in. Once it did each episode was excellent. Though I would be happy to see how Rob's life would have unfolded in subsequent seasons, I think the place where they left things provided a fitting end to the series. Rob certainly seemed to have gotten how badly she'd screwed up her life and lost relationships. In addition the beautiful gesture of her buying the guitar for Cherise showed a big leap in Rob's character. Watching Cherise get real with that guitar and carry on with her own musical journey was a special moment.

15. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Although I never read the book and only vaguely remember the movie, this was my experience. I watched one or two episodes, gave up, but then went back and enjoyed it. Try it!

16. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

I agree with all of this. My wife and I both commented, once we finished watching the show, that even if they didn't renew it, unlike some shows, this had a completely satisfactory ending. They definitely could have continued, but where they left it was pretty close to perfect.

17. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Yeah, she definitely did not quit of her own volition. Here's a link to the story: Zoë Kravitz calls out Hulu for lack of diversity following cancelation of High Fidelity

BeatleJWOL and marmalade166 like this.
  18. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

So I take it we're now in a place where streaming services should keep renewing underperforming shows to appear politically correct. If Hulu hadn't cancelled High Fidelity, Zoë Kravitz wouldn't have said anything about a lack of diversity. It reminds me of the time when Jada Pinkett Smith called out the Academy Awards for supposedly lacking diversity. In reality, she was pissed because Will Smith didn't get a nomination. It's just bitterness and entitlement. It's about time people realised there is more to diversity than black and white. Zoe should be thankful for her parents' connections that got her a career in Hollywood. I supposed we could call it black privilege, but that would be wrong, right?

19. marmalade166

Whooooooooosh!

20. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

I enjoyed the series and am sorry to see it go, The episode where a wife wanted to sell her husband's collection for $20 was priceless. ( like the outtake from the movie). An absolute nightmare for most of us here!

PaperbackBroadstreet likes this.
  21. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Zoe Kravitz should not have berated Michael Jackson. That was what sealed this show's fate.

Also, if a record store employee tried doing that to someone who wanted to buy a Michael Jackson record in real life, he or she would be fired.

22. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Funniest post of the week.

NaturalD likes this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I didn't think the show was very good. pretty sure that's why it got canceled.
    As far as the racial thing goes, I mean come on the show with only appeal to 45 + year old white men,right ?

25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

concur....
    Maybe he didn't see what Jack Black did to the guy who wanted "I Just Called To Say I Love You" by Stevie Wonder!:biglaugh:

aoxomoxoa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.