New "Hot Tuna" archival release: "Before We Were Them: June 28, 1969"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wright, Jan 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wright

Wright Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone picked up this yet?

[​IMG]

https://owsleystanleyfoundation.org/bears-sonic-journals/before-we-were-them/

This live concert recording features recently discovered and previously unreleased music from Jefferson Airplane s fabled guitar and bass players before they became known as Hot Tuna. Jorma and Jack are joined by Joey Covington on drums, and this intense, hard-driving muscle trio creates a sonic landscape to rival Cream and the Jimi Hendrix Experience. This is essential listening for fans of Hot Tuna and Jefferson Airplane, with more than 70 minutes of music, including versions of the classic blues songs Rock Me Baby and Come Back Baby, as well as the familiar Airplane tune Star Track. Additionally, the set list includes 4 fully-formed, rare songs that were named by Jorma and Jack for the first time for this release -- 49 years after they were played! Liner notes include contributions by both Jorma and Jack, as well as rare and previously unreleased vintage photographs. This is the third release of Bear s Sonic Journals from the Owsley Stanley Foundation, the award-winning archival series of pristine live recordings by the Grateful Dead s legendary, pioneering soundman.

1. Rock Me Baby
    2. Turnaround
    3. Star Track
    4. Through The Golden Gate
    5. Come Back Baby
    6. Through The Grove
    7. Inspiration In The Hall Of Arrivals

2. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I got this about a week ago. It's good but I think I prefer early Hot Tuna more.

Wright likes this.
  3. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Did they put this out on LP?

Lots of great Tuna recordings from that era were made by an old friend of mine. He had hours and hours of the early Tuna shows on R2R...a lot of SBD patches, too.
    Most are floating around out there by now. But not all, I think.

4. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

This is early actually predating their first release. Very different than that by a mile.

uzn007 and signothetimes53 like this.
  5. bubba-ho-tep

No word yet on whether or not this will be released on vinyl.

Guitarded likes this.
  6. Wright

Isn't this pretty early, though? Or do you mean early Tuna as opposed to proto-Tuna?

7. bubba-ho-tep

Yes. It reminds me of an extended, meandering, Jefferson Airplane jam which is essentially what it is (minus Paul, Grace, and Marty)

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. bubba-ho-tep

To clarify, I didn't mean to imply that I considered this release a Hot Tuna release. It's only Hot Tuna-related in that Jorma and Jack are playing. Any similarities to Hot Tuna end there.

uzn007 likes this.
  9. davmar77

This also has Joey Covington instead of Spencer dryden on drums and that makes a big difference. In early to mid 69 this was their sound. There's a few recordings from this period around.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Wright

Well, Joey Covington was formally a member of Hot Tuna, wasn't he? Or when did they actually start playing under that name?

Hep Alien and Bruso like this.
  11. bubba-ho-tep

Wasn't this during the long transition from Spencer to Joey?

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. jaxpads

jaxpads Friendly Listener

Reminds me of what they’d do after JA finished their second set and Jorma & Jack would jam til the wee hours.

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

A week or two ago, yes. Been discussing it in the Bear's Sonic Journals thread on the Allman Brothers Band too.
    I set up the Discogs page.

footlooseman and GerryO like this.
  14. davmar77

Joey starting playing with jorma and jack in late 68 but didn't join the airplane officially until march of 1970. When tuna opened for the airplane during that time Joey was on drums.

Hep Alien and Wright like this.
  15. Bruso

Bruso Dire wolf

This is Hot Tuna. During 1968-69, they performed with varying lineups as Hot Tuna or some other billing. For some reason, they sometimes just identified some or all of the participants as in this performance.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. Wright

If so, why is this release billed as Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady?

17. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

18. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Anyone expecting this release to sound like the first "Hot Tuna" album will be surprised, at minimum. If you NEED it to sound like that first Hot Tuna album, then yes, you'll be disappointed.

This sounds very much like Crown of Creation/Volunteers-era Airplane, without Grace, Paul and Marty. That's not a bad thing. IMHO, this is an outstanding release that showcases Jorma, Jack and Joey Covington playing at a very intense level. These aren't bottom-scrapings someone found. The sonics are superb, and so is the musicianship.

This now makes 3 releases from Owsley's/Bear's Sonic Journals that are very, very good vintage 60s/70s listening. That bodes well for future releases. Miss any of those releases at your peril.

19. John69

John69 Forum Resident

I don't think they used the name Hot Tuna until September for the Berkeley shows.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I've long been a fan of the Grateful Dead sets from those shows. Highly recommended. June 27, 1969 has an especially great version of Dark Star.

21. davmar77

Actually 4 releases. You may have forgotten the amazing doc Watson set.

footlooseman likes this.
  22. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

I got it too...love it.

23. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Actually, Doc Watson was the first one I purchased. There is an Allmans set, and now the Jorma/Jack set. Which one am I forgetting?

Answering my own question: a Big Brother/Janis CD released on Columbia. I'd forgotten that technically, it was the first "Bear's Sonic Journals" disc issued.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. davmar77

Yes, that's the one.

25. Bruso

Bruso Dire wolf

Good question. The concerts were billed as Jorma Kaukonen, Jack Casady, Joey Covington. That’s why it’s not called Hot Tuna. Why was Covington’s name left off? Other than being credited as drummer, he’s not mentioned in the liner notes.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.