New Iggy & The Stooges Album This Year....Steve Albini Producing...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stateless, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Wonderwall, thought the same on first listen, but this album will grow on you.
    After about 10 listen, I don't feel it's like an Iggy album at all, but a pure Stooges one. Songs that I found blah at first now I sing on the way to work.

2. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

I just heard it for the first time myself and would have to agree that I don't know what to think either. I thought that "Mexican Guy" had a "Little Doll" feel to it. I'm trying to imagine the Stooges doing these tunes live on their upcoming tour and keep thinking that I hope they play a lot of the old numbers. I'll have to give it a few more spins though. Might be good for the ipod and the car.

3. Stateless

Stateless New Member Thread Starter

I do like the fact that they have all the original guys including Steve Mackay on sax. Of course Dave Alexander on bass died, but he left the band before RAW POWER. You can even argue the new album is closer to the original Stooges lineup than RP since Ron Asheton played bass on that one. Mike Watt was an excellent choice as the new bassist. I did listen to the album again last night. Still don't know how I feel about it. Nothing has really jumped out at me like, "Wow, that's a great tune." I'll give it another listen in a day or two.

4. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Get some whisky, get in bed, put on the headphones at midnight. Listen and think. You will love it LOL

5. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

So, how's the sound quality/production of this album?

By the way, it's available on LP! I just ordered mine from ArtistDirect.

6. rat1073

rat1073 Active Member

Having grown up with this stuff, and seeing them back in Elektra days, I approached this with a degree of caution. On first listen, I'm liking this a lot. If you wanna compare it to the three original albums, you might not be so fond of it, however, if you factor in that thirty-something year gap, much like the Dolls album of last year, this is highly enjoyable. If nothing else, think of it as the best Iggy album since "Lust For Life, maybe that will make it easier for you.

7. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Just one thing I like to point out, several songs on the Dolls album are digitally doctored, you can clearly hear parts being copied and placed to "remake" the song in the Dolls vein. That "We are in love" mantra is the same all the song long.
    Nothing like this on the Stooges one, it's raw and real.

8. nightenrock

I loaded it on my ipod yesterday and played it as I walked to where I was headed. It rocked. I could hear the lyrics a little better too with the phones in my ears. Leaving for work in a few and can't wait now to play it on the subway for 20 minutes on the way to work. Probably should try not to casually sing "My Idea of Fun Is Killing Everyone" and "I'm Fried" while walking around the office today.

9. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

10. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

You guys probably won't believe this, but I just saw the Stooges play a small show in a TV studio up close, with an audience of 120, right here in Paris, where they are now on a promo TV tour. It was so small you could touch Iggy.

They only played new songs from the album, and they ruled big A live. Ron, Watt and Rock Action just rocked hard. Iggy was in top form, tanned, explaining bits between songs, doing the regular antics.

But the cherry on the cake was during I wanna be your dog as the last song, when Iggy came toward us during the solo. As I stood and screamed his name, he jumped in the audience, put his arms around my shoulder. I did the same, and we both falled down, singing "Now I wanna be your dog" in the mike, soon joined by all the audience falling down around us. The cameramen went crazy over us. Iggy was laughing, putting his hands on my short cropped hairs, as chaos abounded, and as we screamed "Now I wanna be your dog" together !

All my pals will see me singing I wanna be your dog with Iggy on TV when this airs, and even if the encore doesn't air, can you beat such an evening ? :) I'll remember this one forever. :) :) :)

11. nightenrock

Good for you, man. You must be in heaven today.

12. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

wow, cool story, seventeen. i love it! :righton:

13. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Great story! Looking forward to it! :righton:

14. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Forgot to add, they did the song "O solo mio" which is only on the vinyl, (on the extra disc). It is one of their greatest songs ever and one of the best of the bunch. Wonder why it's not on the CD, it probably was another song too slow and hard to sequence with the others. It was astounding to discover that one live. Definitely get the vinyl !

15. Stateless

Cool story...If you see that up on youtube, post it here! :agree:

16. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Again, how's the sound quality/production of this album?:cool:

17. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Just got the download so far so won't comment, I have the LP and the CD on the way via snail mail.

18. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Right, so you guys will want to kill me. I just saw the Stooges again up front, going thru two rehearsals, and one live for TV playing of both "ATM" and "Greedy awful people". That makes 4 times I seem them play both songs in 24 Hours, and I have to say, ATM is starting to grow on me big time ! That song is really I think up there with the classics. I'm sure there are many others in the CD that will grow that way.

19. Stateless

I'm listening it to again right now. It is definitely is growing on me. The production is really strong. The Ashetons sound really strong. Iggy sounds good too, but was expecting a bit more from him lyrically. There are a few lines here and there that sound kind of goofy, especially coming from a man who is about to turn 60, but I don't know anybody else who could get away with it besides Iggy.

20. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Anyone have the vinyl yet? Was it released today?
    Just got back from record-store shopping and neither of my 2 mainstay stores were stocking the vinyl, just the CD.

21. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

I ordered the vinyl from eil.com, as I saw other, less expensives offers online, but with apparently only the CD tracklist (no bonus tracks). If someone comes across a 1LP version of the vinyl, as opposed to the 2LP version, let us know just in case there's two pressings.

22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I listened to the CD a couple of times in my car. Even there, I could tell that it has more dynamics than most new releases. There's enough space for Scott's crude but effective drum fills to have some impact. It sounds like "I'm Bored" era Iggy playing with a late 60s Stooges backing, which may not be ideal, but it's more than good enough for me.

Regards,

23. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

24. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

OK they played yesterday their first ever public live gig with the new tracks in Switzerland. (I was lucky to witness their first ever private gig on monday in Paris, France, that will air on Canal+ next week)

here's the setlist, and it's HUGE

ATM
    Loose
    Street
    TV EYE
    O Solo Mio
    Real Cool Time
    No Fun
    Greedy awful...
    Funhouse/LA
    Skull Ring
    I am fried
    Electric Chair

1st encore

Trollin
    She took my money
    Free + Freaky

2nd

Dirt
    Christianity
    My idea of fun
    Not Right

+ two times I wanna be your dog somewhere

25. nightenrock

Thanks for the set list. I'm listening to the CD right now for maybe the sixth time and it is really growing on me. I actually like the lyrics. And to me it is sounding stooge-ish. Has a primal feel to it. Bluesy and jazzy. She took my money is a song I totally got into walking home last night. I thought it could have been a blues tune and then remembered Iggy went to Chicago to play drums with some blues legends in Chicago before forming the Stooges back in the sixties. Then she took my money goes totally psychedelic stooges and free form jazz, grande ballroom in detroit circa late sixties at the end. I get home and can't take the head phones off. So now I am in front of the B&W 805's hearing it and it sounds fantastic too. All I can say about the production quality is that it is very listenable and not objectionable to me. I'm not too good at articulating such things though. But I know when something is unlistenable (Raw Power re-mix/master). Have tickets for NYC show and going to go see them in Detroit too. Very excited now. wasn't so sure last weekend when I first picked this up. Been in a dark winter seasonal effective disorder hole lately and rocking out at the altar of the stooges might just be the electroshock therapy I need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.