Original Jazz Classics (OJC) deadwax info

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dirklenart, May 8, 2014.

1. dirklenart

dirklenart New Member Thread Starter

Hi

I've been researching the deadwax info of the original OJC's by Fantasy starting in 1982. All analogue chain reissues of Riverside, Prestige, Contemporary, ... Initially you find a faint GH inscription, which stands for George Horn, the mastering engineer at that time for Fantasy's reissues. But at a certain point (1986?) you only get a big capital G followed by an I (?) or just a vertical line, at least in my collection: Byrd at the Gate OJC 262 or Bill Evans 'Interplay' OJC 308.
    Does anyone know what this means?
    Does anyone know when GH disappears from the deadwax and is replaced by G (followed by vertical line)?
    And what does it mean: is this the border between analogue chain and entrance of digital transfers or not? I'm inclined to believe it might be, but need more assurance.
    So, be so kind and check the deadwax info of your OJC's.

Many thanks

Dirk

2. jftx

jftx Well-Known Member

I'm new here (lurking for a while), but I've also been interested in diving into the deadwax of the OJC titles, especially now that they seem to be repressing these and are stocked all over record stores (at least here in NYC).

I too have a handful of OJC's that have "G I" or "G |"or something like that and I'm curious if anyone has info on this?

I'd love to keep picking up these OJC titles, but I get so frustrated trying to figure out if I'm looking at a good analogue copy or a digital one.

3. Isaac Rivera

Isaac Rivera Active Member

I also just noticed that some of my mid-80s OJC reissues have a "G I" of sorts on the deadwax. For instance the 1985 Abbey Lincoln It's Magic OJC-205 reissue. Is this an AAA? What does the "G I" stand for?

4. mark33.3

mark33.3 New Member

Yet another person here trying to make sense of this issue. I have several "G 1" reissues. I also notice a "(t)" on some reissues, A few have RE 1,2,3 or 4 also etched, could "RE" mean remaster? Could (t) be the mark of Joe Tarrantino? The only thing I'm sure of is "GH" is George Horn. Or is it? There's also Gary Hobish, the engineer who is credited on some OJC's such as "remastered in 1991 by Gary Hobish". Was George Horn the only engineer mastering these from analog? Why do some assume he was?

Do we know anything with 98% certainty pertaining to any of this? Contradicting posts on this subject seem to be the norm on here (from all sources and many saying something like "I read" "I've been told" or "I heard") and at this point I think I've read them all. Utterly confusing.

5. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I.I.N.M., Columbia pressed such OJC records, distinguished by a pressing ring diameter of 2.703125". Up to 1991, 'G I's' would indicate a pressing by the label's Carrollton, GA plant.

MLutthans likes this.
  6. ghobish

ghobish Forum Resident

I just ran across this thread from 2015, Original Jazz Classics (OJC) deadwax info, which is closed for replies but which I can clear up.

The "GH" that may appear in the deadwax of Fantasy OJC's up to 1986 is me, Gary Hobish. (I did most of the OJCs until then, at which point I left George Horn's Fantasy mastering staff and was replaced by Phil DeLancie). At that time, deadwax inscriptions by the M.E. at Fantasy were not commonly done. Additionally, to the best of my recollection to that time all OJC titles were cut from the original analog masters. (In addition to mastering, I was also the librarian of Fantasy's vault).

James_S888, djwkyoto, mtemur and 17 others like this.
  7. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Hi Gary thanks for posting and the work you did at fantasy!

Do you know are these your etchings? Doesn’t really look like “GH” but maybe “G |” or something.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a copy of Hampton Hawes “For Real”, originally on Contemporary. It says fantasy records on the bottom of the label but there no OJC logo. I can’t find this particular edition on discogs. Thx!

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I believe G1 denotes the old Columbia Carollton plant that no longer exists.

Looks like what you have here is a record possibly made from older metalwork.

We really need to consolidate all these OJC threads. Too many of them on here.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    DangerousKitchen and AaronW like this.
  9. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

The record isn’t new it’s from the 80s. I don’t think it’s a rainbo press, that’s the original Contemporary catalog number in the deadwax.

10. G1 refers to the old Columbia pressing plant in GA.

Columbia Records Pressing Plant, Carrollton, GA

@ghobish Gary, if you're still tuning in, I have a Paul Westerberg 14 Stories pressing mastered and prepared by you. Did you scribe either the catalog# or deltas in the matrices of this LP?

patient_ot likes this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

@ghobish Thanks for posting! I have a number of 80s OJC with your initials, those records sounds really good.

12. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

I just got a US 86 Bill Evans at Shelly's Manne-Hole and it sounds absolutely fantastic, has the G 1 but not GH on it, wonder if its all analogue too? Whatever, it's amazing sounding and a perfect pressing from when QC for vinyl was v high.

Biff Jones likes this.
  13. ghobish

ghobish Forum Resident

That is not me, those are pressing plant ID etchings. My mark is distinctive, with the tie of the G becoming the crossbar of the H.

djwkyoto, ETSEQ and patient_ot like this.
  14. ghobish

ghobish Forum Resident

I did the digital remastering and prepared the master for cutting; the actual cut was done by George Horn.

DangerousKitchen likes this.
  15. Fantastic. Thank you for those details!

16. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Threads merged.

Biff Jones likes this.
  17. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Did you also do the 1987 Fantasy reissue of "Shaft"? Or were you gone? The GH in the deadwax? I am guessing is George Horn.
    Love this record, have a 1971 monarch original, a UK press, and the 1987 Fantasy.

18. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

You wouldn't happen to know if the 1987 Fantasy reissue of Shaft was done all analogue, from the original tapes?

19. john stein

john stein Well-Known Member

For the OJC series, Fantasy had a pressing contract with the Columbia Records plants. Columbia had 3 plants at that time; Terre Haute, IN, Pitman, NJ and the newest plant 9built in 1978 or 1980) was Carrolton, GA. I believe the upper case "G" is the identifier for the Columbia plant in Carrolton, GA. I sure wish I had more of the OJCs. I used to buy them brand new at Aron's Records in Hollywood, CA. I was in there at least 3x per month. One day I walked in and the owner handed me a new OJC catalog. He said this was the latest on what Fantasy was offering. Take a look, If you want anything phone it in and I'll order it for you, it will be here for you to pick up. So I ordered like crazy. Some of the titles I was not even aware of what they were. That formed the base for my OJC collection. Would also suggest a person US cleans their OJC pressings. Tons of crap in the grooves. Remove it and the sound quality gets a ton better.

Biff Jones likes this.