New Jackson Browne 2CD "Hits" coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Feb 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Where can I find a thin plastic clam-shell "cover"? Or do you mean tray? How do I cut the top half off. I tried a clear plastic tray and glued in on to where the sponge spindle was but it wouldn't close properly.

PM me for instructions...

Thanks,

Brian

2. btomarra

Great idea! May have to go that route!

Brian

3. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

I would have to say I am really disappointed with the packaging, I had to return two copy before I found a set of foam spindle that work!!! :realmad:

For the most part I like the way the CD's sound, but, if you have the DCC versions of Late For The Sky and The Pretender those songs are a major disappointment. "For A Dancer" has sooo much echo it sounds like a "live" version, and "Here Come Those Tears" already had echo at the start of the song! it didn't need any more. Maybe that's just my opinion.

On the whole the song chose is for someone who want the "radio tested" songs. There is not enough songs from Hold Out (That Girl Can Sing, Of Missing Persons) and World In Motion (Enough Of The Night, Anything Can Happen, Chasing You Into The Night) LP's for me but that was during Jackson's "arena time" when he lost his center (That's what Jackson said in an article in the L.A. Times).

Meanwhile back to the packaging. If Warner's Special Product? is letting (Firing) all these people go , the least they can do is give a place to keep our DC safe!!! :Rant Over! :goodie:

4. timw

timw Senior Member

Brian, You should be able to find these covers at most Office Product stores like Staples, Office Max. I've seen them at WalMart also.
    Those "Slim Style" jewel cases might work too.
    I just used a razor knife to cut the plastic lids off of my covers. The plastic is very thin so it was ez. Good luck...It's worth the effort!
    Tim

5. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

It's worked for me on more than one occasion. Got the first two Chicago remasters in brand-spankin' new jewel cases. That was sweet...

:goodie:

6. btomarra

Ack!

Had to mention..and I can't believe I missed it before...great avitar! I mean great! Wacky Packages, right? Boy does that bring back memories...I had the whole series when I was a kid! Thanks for the nostalgic trip!

If I go to Staples or Office Max to look for these (not the slimstyle jewel cases, but the first cover you mentioned) what are they officially called?

Thanks,

Brian

7. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

Similar to "dithering" those pieces of the multi's...correct?

8. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:agree: I'd have to agree. Those two rubber "nipples" are useless. The package should've come with a warning sticker: "Watch out for falling CDs. Open with caution". Oh well, maybe it's Jackson's idea of a more environmental-friendly packaging.

Jim W

9. Jim Ricketts

Jim Ricketts Active Member

I got this sat and was fairly pleased with the sound although some tracks sound better than others. After Hold Out, I kinda lost interest in his newer releases as they just didn't have the energy and freshness of his earlier work. I had forgotten just how great "Redneck Friend" was and so glad it was included. It still sounds great and one of my all time fav JB songs!!!

I agree the packaging is horrible as I transferred the discs to jewel boxes to avoid damage from falling. Who invented those sponge hubs - completely useless. Liner notes were interesting until the writer, Dave Marsh, launches into his many bizarre political diatribes - totally unneeded and detracts from the music. I did find it interesting JB lives in Spain.

10. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

My pleasure, Brian. I didn't get the joke when I was seven, but it looked funny and pinkos, hippies and yippies sounded funny, so I thought it was cool.

By the way, if you really want to relive those days:

www.wackypackages.org

Enjoy!
    Chris

11. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I love this song too. It makes me flash back to Jackson's great live shows in the '70's when David Lindley was in the band.

12. stever

stever Senior Member

Nice price, but the last 10 tracks are unnecessary. Greatest hits? They could have tightened this to a REAL indisposable one-disc package. Or Warner could have used some live tracks, outtakes, something better than padding it with subpar tracks. And why no, "That Girl Could Sing?" JMO, of course.

13. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Awesome!!! Totally Awesome!!!

Sure took me back. I had completely forgotten about these. Looks like I'll be having many hours wasted here...

Thanks ACK! :edthumbs:

14. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

You're very welcome.

And by the way, my name is Chris. Or you can call me ACK! Whatever works for you... :righton:

15. timw

timw Senior Member

I went to my local BBuy yesterday and noticed that this cd is now being manufactured with the proper CD tray holders within the same tri-fold cardboard cover. No more useless rubber 'nips'!
    A little too late for most of us but for those looking to buy it and haven't yet be sure to look for this new packaging. You'll be able to tell by looking thru the shrinkwrap on the side of the cover...much thicker and you can also see the sides of the tray holders......
    The record co. must have received lots of complaints on the initial release.
    Tim

:righton:

16. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

revised packaging - NO rubber "nips"

I just got the 2-CD set from BMG club and it came in the tri-fold carboard cover with clear plastic CD trays holders.

Also, even thought it was from the BMG club, there were no "BMG" markings on the label/upc code.

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

BMG has been doing that a lot lately. many of their CD's have the regular bar code and not the BMG disclaimer in its place.

coincidentally, right around the same time best buy stopped taking even exchanges on unopened CD's unless you have a best buy receipt. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

renny

18. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I returned an unopen CD the other day at BB without a receipt. However, they insisted on giving me a BB gift card.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

jorge,

just this past wednesday they told me point blank - no receipt, no exchange. that was at one store. the other best buy near me has had a ne receipt, no exchange policy since they opened last year.

i asked for a manager and he said that was their policy. i told him it hadn't been for years, and he argued that it had. i lost :(

i wonder how my best buy will handle returned CD's with no receipt after christmas???

renny

20. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

I just got a copy of this for Christmas in a regular slim line jewel case.

21. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I got one from BMG in a digipack.

:realmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.