New Janelle Monáe album 'Dirty Computer' (Release date April 27)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Feb 16, 2018.

1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

At bloody last.

I get the feeling this is going to be a very surprise drop very soon.

2. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Great news! I was late to the Janelle Monae party, but discovered Metropolis and The ArchAndroid and they are fantastic releases. Although I was a little disappointed in Electric Lady (what was that, 5 years ago?), I'll no doubt be looking forward to this.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    art and Mr. Explorer like this.
  3. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

glad to see the acting thing hasn't totally distracted her from the real job at hand.

Daryl M, ConnieGuitar and zphage like this.
  4. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Wow! I fell head over heals in love with the ArchAndroid back in 2011, the year after it came out. Metropolis: The Chase Suite is good to me, but really just a taste of what was to come.

Electric Lady, now...it’s got a lot of good songs, but I didn’t and don’t like at all how she didn’t continue the plot of ArchAndroid. Yes the tropes are still there, and Cindy is name dropped. The world is there, changed in perspective and characteristics, but still there. But her story doesn’t continue like it should, the emotional weight isn’t there, and you don’t get the best sense of who or what any of the characters on the Electric Lady really are. It’s not even clear if the Electric Lady is Cindy, someone else, or Janelle herself?

Which is what it comes down to, for something that claims on the album cover to suites IV and V, there was far too much music that was self referential and of the present day.

I get and accept that that’s the music she wanted to make at that moment, but if she couldn’t integrate it into the Metropolis story better, than she shouldn’t have done it at all.

5. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

All that said I’m excited for new music, she’s damn talented.

RevUp64 likes this.
  6. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Automatic purchase: thank you for the heads up!

7. brownsugah

brownsugah Forum Resident

My body and soul is ready! Dirty Computer is going to be her best body of work yet.

Sean, willy and The Revealer like this.
  8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

YES!!!!

:goodie: :bdance: :pineapple:

willy and ConnieGuitar like this.
  9. brownsugah

10. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

Holy crap am I excited about this.

11. brownsugah

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

I consider Janelle Monae to be one of the greatest talents of our time. Yes, you can see a lot of her influences, but she has so much of herself as well.

Metropolis was an amazing debut for an artist and her vocals are stunning. Archandroid captured a lot of people, even if they weren't introduced to the concept through the previous. The Electric Lady is one of my favorite albums from the last ten year, quality to quality.

The Cindy Mayweather story is so engaging. I look forward to it's final chapter.

13. jefferyuniverse

jefferyuniverse Well-Known Member

I ADORE Janelle. I am super excited for anything she does. I am really in need of revisiting her music. This gives me more incentive!

14. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I saw her on a White House PBS special with all kind of diva type singers. I had never heard of her. She blew me away. So cool. Kind of James Brown thing with the dancing and singing. Also her look. Just a whole package. Got a couple of records. She's great. Can't wait for the new record.

RevUp64, willy and Derek Slazenger like this.
  15. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

Someone commented that the success of Black Panther can be partly attributed to Monae's reinvigoration of Afro-futurism.

raphph, Olompali and linclink like this.
  16. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

"Make Me Feel" is the first single. It'll be released in the coming days.

17. brownsugah

New song titles: “Pynk”, “Screwed”, “Classic Life”. Alan Ferguson and Emma Westenberg worked on at least a few videos.

18. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Seeing her in an ep. of Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams and also the rocket science Hidden Figures flick, it seems we got us a Woman Who Fell To Earth, a Jimi Bowie. Time to party like it's 2099

19. brownsugah

20. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

The suspense is killing me. :eek:

I hope we won't have to wait for months for the album.

21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Can not wait.

22. brownsugah

[​IMG]

“Make Me Feel” is now available on TIDAL.

{{metadata.ogTitle}} (link will lead you to song on TIDAL)

willy likes this.
  23. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Very psyched about this, too. I prefer Electric Lady (tho those brief spoken interludes that were originally artsy have become a bit annoying and things I skip over now) to ArchAndroid. Love, love, love her voice.

OldSoul likes this.
  24. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

She's utterly brilliant live, although a nightmare to shoot; her and the band all dress in black and white, their instruments are black and white and the stage set is black and white, it makes metering a bit of a trial, to say the least! Thank God for raw files and Photoshop :)

jdrueke and fitzrik like this.
  25. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

Wasn't a big fan of The Electric Lady, but love her first two releases. I'm mostly worried about how much energy acting and her other pursuits take from her music.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.