New Janelle Monáe album 'Dirty Computer' (Release date April 27)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I'm not in love with the new album I have to say :( Can't imagine me playing much.

whisper3978 and GentleSenator like this.
  2. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

A review lauds it for "self-expression." I think it's lyrically too self-focused. Also - someone correct me if I'm wrong because I've only heard maybe half the tracks - but it seems like guitar never takes the forefront, and I love guitar.

GentleSenator likes this.
  3. brownsugah

brownsugah Forum Resident

I pre-ordered the yellow Vinyl a week ago. Can’t wait to have it in my hands. I wish I would’ve known about the “Pynk” vinyl though. I don’t really frequent this site too much.

4. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I saw the performance last week in Nashville, and it was quite good. She did the entire new album, plus three songs from Electric Lady and two from ArchAndroid, plus a non-album single. I loved it! But then I got home and played the Metropolis EP and ArchAndroid, and I was reminded of the depth and ambition of her artistry, and how much of that has fallen by the wayside with her more current work. The whole Metropolis/Cyndi saga basically fell apart due to its overambition, I guess. I love Dirty Computer on its own merits, but I will always miss the way that ArchAndroid first spoke to me! :)

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Just got home from the DC show. PACKED house - 6000 people, and a very enthusiastic crowd, too.

I thought the show was well-executed but it left me semi-cold because I don't much like "Dirty Computer". I played it a good 10 times over the last few weeks and always thought it was okay but never better than that.

It's more than listenable but it's a step down from "Electric Lady" - and that was a definite step down from "ArchAndroid".

Because of the setlist, this meant tonight's show was gonna be a tough sell. It'd be like seeing Prince make "Come" the dominant album in a show - the concert might be good objectively but I'm not gonna buy into a show that spends 2/3rds of its time on an album I think is just okay.

The final third of the show was better than the first 2/3rds - I finally started to get into it, partly because that's when she did the two "AA" songs, but also because the other tracks seemed more exciting.

I'm starting to think I'm not really a Monae fan - I'm an "ArchAndroid" fan. That album knocked me for a loop and the two followups just can't compete... :sigh:

GentleSenator and Tom Schreck like this.
  6. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Revisiting this album - it's just fantastic, and my personal favorite of her discography. She has two new songs out as part of the soundtrack for "Sorry to Bother You" where she is backed by the Coup. They're pretty great, especially the first one here, which would have fit perfectly on Dirty Computer.

jimhb and RevUp64 like this.
  7. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

Admittedly, I've had little desire to go back to this album. It's not really bad at all, but it doesn't grab me in the same way her other albums have. I've had the same experience as some of the others here.

I think the album is well thought out and it has some great songs (Don't Judge Me being a top-tier tune). But at the same time, it simply doesn't wow me. It feels very plain and influence-heavy. I know that's purposeful, but it's still way too on the nose for me at times. It almost feels like worship to the point where I'll just roll my eyes when I can hear Prince influence on every single track.

I don't know. The ArchAndroid still wows me to this day. This just doesn't have it for me.

8. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

Just saw Monaé play Atlanta. She really gave it all for her hometown and the sold-out crowd was with her all the way. I don't think I've seen such an enthusiastic audience before, but then, 20 years of stone-faced jaded NYC audiences are my basis of comparison. Everyone on that stage also looked like they were having a great time. Though I've been with her from Metropolis, Dirty Computer is actually the first Monaé album that's completely grabbed me from start to finish. While it is a step away from the arch android stance that has been her signature, I find it to be intensely personal and has warmth, and a good example of an album that works well as individual tracks and as a whole. It's still on heavy rotation for me, and I look forward to seeing where she goes next.

9. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Just visited her website to see when the vinyl will be released. September 28th, so only a week to go.

It was nice to read that the yellow version sold out. So my very early pre-order was completely justified.

10. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Whoa, did I just hear "Make Me Feel" in an Old Navy commercial? I didn't expect to hear that while my kid was watching Nick Jr. Nice little bonus.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    The Revealer and OldSoul like this.
  11. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I caught that during the Emmys, I think. A remix.

12. Yost

I got a shipping notice from the Janelle webstore today. The yellow vinyl is coming my way. :bdance::bdance::bdance:

13. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Whoa! I received my DC vinyl today and was surprised to find it's 45 RPM! After washing the first disk, I plopped it on the platter and heard "diiiiiirrrrrtttyyyyy... Commmmmmpuuuuuuterrrrr....

Ha! Sounds great at 45, though. Flat vinyl and superior dynamics to the CD. Noice!

14. Yost

Nice to hear it is more dynamic than the CD. Did you get the yellow or the black version?

15. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Black. Sounds fantastic--great bass compared to the CD, and Monae sounds like she's in my living room.

Only minor complaint is that 4 sides ruins the flow of songs etched into my brain after wearing out the CD this summer. I'll get used to it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Yost likes this.
  16. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Yellow vinyl just showed up. I was a little put off by the price but it looks like they set out to make it worthwhile — gorgeous design, 45rpm, download coupon. I’ll be listening this weekend!

Yost likes this.
  17. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Janelle will be performing at the Global Citizen Festival tomorrow - not sure what time slot, or if the broadcast will actually be "live", but it is being broadcast on MSNBC from 3PM-10PM EST.

Global Citizen Festival New York 2018

Yost likes this.
  18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Global Citizen Festival?

I think there are still two weekends on the calendar that New York City hasn't made up a festival or parade for. Quick, let's think of something, otherwise people will think there's no traffic or noise in the city.

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

You will find that it was worth the wait. I am enjoying this more than the HD download even with my humble vinyl setup.

The Revealer, dustybooks and rischa like this.
  20. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Yes, I was quite thrilled with it. Didn’t even mind the short side breaks. I’m so glad they went with 45rpm for this.

21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I'm happy with the CD sound - is the vinyl a sonic upgrade on that?

22. andycherry

andycherry Forum Resident

the packaging is out of this world. however, what’s with the GIANT barcode on the back? i’ve never seen one that large before (on a record) in my life.

23. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

I like this album except for the last track and the one where she goes on about the ****** talking.

edit - female sex organ is censored.

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Revealer and Yost like this.
  25. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

This is the first of Janelle’s albums I’ve listened to- and you can count me as blown away; absolutely love it and have been obsessed with it for months.

(Although... having my first listen to “Archandroid” right now and can quite understand why you’d be disappointed if you came to these albums in the opposite order!)