New Janelle Monáe album 'Dirty Computer' (Release date April 27)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Feb 16, 2018.

1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

More v***** monologues. It's like she discovered sex just a few months ago and goes all crazy now. Kinda fun to watch.

Greenalishi and The Revealer like this.
  2. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Will this finally be the album to turn Janelle into the mega-star she's always been? I still can't believe she was still playing clubs on her last tour. I heard "Make Me Feel" on an hipster rock station the other day and it fit right in. She just HAS to cross-over this album cycle... right?!?!

Loving all these new songs, even if it's more of that same winning Monae formula. Her rap delivery hasn't evolved one iota, and she even recycles some old lines in Django. I ain't complaining though. It all sounds good to me! Look forward to adding Dirty Computer to my til-this-point flawless Janelle collection.

Izozeles and willy like this.
  3. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

These were my thoughts watching the video. I almost feel like her style is born to cross-over. The light-core rap, the wokeness that taps into the cultural wave going turning #metoo consciousness into something more positive that seems so right at this moment, and the fact that she's pretty much in your face without being hostile - it all seems so Prime Time!

I disagree with the above poster about her just 'discovering sex.' I do think she's letting out what she's been holding in and it's affecting her style to be sure. But this video is really more about 'not sex' by way of taking the very sexual and turning into the every day. "We're all basically pink inside" is the core message. It's radical.

4. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Monae seems to have more momentum now than ever before, I think because her acting career boosted her profile.

She's clearly more famous now than she was when her last album hit. Whether that translates to additional sales remains to be seen, but it gives her a leg up in terms of promotion and publicity...

6. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

The cape! James Brown! Supercool

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  7. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Can't wait for this album - can't wait for her to tour...

I've seen her twice before - At Brixton and at V Festival - the latter only about 200 people turned up to see her in a tent...Depressing

8. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

Seeing her at her first ever London show was one of the very few gigs I've seen where I came away with the impression that the stage she was on (Village Underground in Hoxton) was too small, and I wished I was watching her on a full stage so she could let loose.

Also, I was stood next to a guy who was off his face on drugs and wouldn't shut up. I moved far away when he soiled his pants as he was so 'relaxed'.

LivingForever likes this.
  9. raphph

I saw Charlotte Gainsbourg at VU a couple of weeks ago - I hate that place! Hopefully Janelle will be vastly upgraded to a larger arena ..

10. PretzelLogic

It's awful, though I hope Charlotte was good! I'm seeing her at Primavera next month and don't know what to expect - the only time I've seen her live, she was part of an ensemble cast (doing Beck's Song Reader live), and more than held her own.

11. raphph

She was fantastic! And you'll have a great day on that day on Prima..

PretzelLogic likes this.
  12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Looking forward to this one. Will probably stick to streaming until a vinyl release becomes available.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  13. Ken_McAlinden

BTW, please avoid embedding/linking videos with NSFW content in forum threads. Thanks! All of her recent videos are available at the Janelle Monae YouTube page (I subscribe).

14. PretzelLogic

Thanks Ken for clearing the thread up.

Is the 'Pynk' video considered as NSFW? I know it's subjective, but I'd say that's clean enough to spare the blushes of any passing work colleague...

pghmusiclover and BurtThomasWard like this.
  15. Ken_McAlinden

Less obvious than the first two, but probably still a bit much to explain to typical bosses or coworkers. :laugh:

16. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'm disappointed she didn't name it Dirty 'Puter

17. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

... it was just clothing! :evil:

Nah, it’s all good. I can understand Ken’s action.

18. The Revealer

Summer Tour announced: Janelle Monáe | Dirty Computer 4.27.18

Also there's a link to a new video on the site. (Caution: Contains themes of female self-possession and esteem, use of words that begin with 'c', 'l' and 't', and the colors red, p-nk, and green. Not Safe for 'Need-It-Safe'-ers!) :hide:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  19. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Looking forward to the new album.

From what I've heard of it so far, it may also have been called 'sing if you're glad to be queer!'

I don't just mean queer as in 'having homosexual tendencies' (although there is a lot of that in the videos). More as in 'challenging social norms'.

In fact, that has been a constant theme of Janelle's career. Long may her freak flag fly!

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Personally, it feels like she's trying a little too hard to be provocative in a self conscious way. We'll see if she hits paydirt with the new album. They're certainly pulling out all of the stops with the promotion.

21. The Revealer

I wouldn't argue with that assessment, but I think it has less to do with market calculus than with how very difficult it is for her to open up this way. I was disappointed at how little new information there was in the NYT article about her 'finding her voice.' She seems reticent to open up as if uncertain that doing so ahead of the album drop would be jinxing the moment. Another reader left a comment about it saying how Prince - a mentor and huge influence on the new work - was always up front and breaking taboos.

I think its unrealistic, if not unfair, to compare a female artist breaking taboos to a male artist doing the same. The stakes are much higher for a female artist. If things go sour, you can lose your fan base much more quickly. Women on the fringe tend to remain on the fringe (Meshell Ndegeocello anyone?). I personally believe that Monae is about to launch to a new level that will not quite reach super-stardom. I don't think she needs to sell that many records to call this a success. I think she needs to feel that her fan base is broad enough and flexible enough to allow her to speak more directly from her personal self than her 'constructed' self as she's done through the Cindi Mayweather persona.

There's got to be a testing the waters phase going on here that may yield less innovative music than a chance to explore a palette of personal expression. Hence, the ground-breaking videos laid over less challenging musical composition.

As far as the promotion, I would argue there's no better time for her than the present. I just hope she's not stretched too thin professionally to have finished this album, begun under Prince's tutelage, by herself with enough focus to make it a satisfying replay. So far, so good, IMO.

22. brownsugah

brownsugah Forum Resident

I really can’t wait for Thursday and Friday. This album will be special. The people on this other forum I’m a member of were trashing the singles and I was the only person on there really feeling them. Lol. I think this album will sound completely different than her first two and will definitely show a different side of her. I’m all about evolution and I think she going to bring that with DC.

23. brownsugah

I will say that Pynk grew on my a lot since the first listen. I’m sure it will sound even better within context of the rest of the album.

24. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Apart from anything else, she's THE most beautiful woman I've ever photographed! :)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. brownsugah

gary191265 and The Revealer like this.