DCC Archive New Japanese Zappa CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Oct 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

Ok, this is not about the sound. Japan has just released Frank Zappa's first 10 albums in the mini lp type covers. Since they are Rykco releases and knowing how the family controls his catalog I doubt they have been remastered.

I have not yet listened to them but whoa what packaging. Each title contains all original inserts, (ie. Freakout even has the LA map, all bizarre titles have reproduced Bizarre inner sleeves, even the original shrink wrap sticker from Uncle Meat is included).
    You gotta love this set. The next 10 titles are due at the end of the month.

Now if only Steve could get his hands on the tapes to Hot Rats and Burnt Weeny Sandwich!
    :eek:

2. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I'd rather that Steve got his hands on the original tapes for "Cruisin' with Ruben & the Jets", an album which Mr. Zappa ruined (yes, I said **ruined**) when it came time to put out the CD.

A rather surprising move, coming from a man who once advocated the removal of tone and balance controls from consumer stereos (because they allowed the listener too much control over the sound of the recorded work).

-Joel Cairo

3. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Err? Hot Rats and BWS sound as fine as they're going to (although I do like the vinyl mix of Hot Rats more...)

With regard to Ruben...I'm mixed about it. Since I have a fabulously good rip of the vinyl version, I just consider both versions of the album to be different albums; I think this is the ONE CASE where Chad Wackerman's cheesy digital drum sound actually fits in. Is it an improvement? Not necessarily, and it DOES butcher a few songs completely (Anyway the Wind Blows, No No No). But I don't dislike the Ruben remix nearly as much as I do the old WOIIFTM and Them or Us remixes.

ARe you sure Frank said that, BTW? He *loved* changing stuff....it's difficult to find an album he DIDN'T change something on when reissue time came along.

-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.