New Jelco TK-950S and TK-850S Tonearms

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Erocka2000, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone have any experience with either of the new Jelco knife-edge bearing tonearms? I know they're relatively new to the scene, but was wondering how they would compare with the SA-750D. And what benefits do knife-edge bearings have over traditional bearings?

2. Erocka2000

Here's a pic of the tonearms:

[​IMG]

Helom likes this.
  3. Erocka2000

Can someone comment on the knife-edge vs. ball/gimbal bearings, if not the 950s itself?

patient_ot likes this.
  4. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

I'll have an 850s in my hands early to mid February, as well as the new 550s.

Ulises, McLover, Madlove and 3 others like this.
  5. Erocka2000

Cool. Would love to hear your impressions when you get it. Not familiar with the 550S, though.

patient_ot likes this.
  6. BD2665

BD2665 Forum Resident

Do you have any pricing info?

patient_ot likes this.
  7. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

SA-750D. is no longer made & replaced by new ranges

8. Erocka2000

Where did you hear that the SA-750D is no longer being made?

9. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

Love my 370H! These newer models look very nice. Can’t go wrong with any of Jelcos’s offerings!

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'd say even if the SA-750D isn't being made anymore it wouldn't be an impediment to buying one, it was in production for a very long time and is readily available NIB.

Benzion likes this.
  11. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Not much help for OP's question, but, since it's turned into a praise session for Jelco's, I do love my 370H installed on Rek-O-Kut Rondine Jr. idler, and I'm about to replace the stock arm on my Denon DP-60L with a Jelco SA-750E (10").

billb51 likes this.
  12. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

All 750s discontinued. Yes, plenty still out there, but Japan is OUT of 750D and DB.

The 550S looks to be the replacement for 750 arms, same bearing style, with fluid damping option. Only ONE styling, not two as in 750. The 550S is black and chrome. Also, it appears the 10 inch option is gone.

The 850S is a new Jelco offering, knife edge bearing style...looks a little classier, in my opinion.

Both have a 12" option, the 550L and 850L.

I have not received retail pricing information yet.

Yes, I will review sometime in Feb.

Dave

patient_ot and Madlove like this.
  13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Hmm. It sounds like I'd better go ahead and buy a 750, stick it under my bed for a dual-arm project I never get around to, and sell it at a loss in a few years.

14. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

In enough years you will turn a profit.

15. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

[​IMG]

The Jelco 550S...I'll have a couple photos of an 850S soon. As well as comments on each. Important note: I substituted an HS-25 headshell for the stock one. I really think the azimuth adjustment and the magnesium material make that a no-brainer. Dave

16. Erocka2000

I’m wondering if the 950S may be too tall to fit under the Technics SL-1200G dustcover. Anyone have info on the dimensions?

17. vinylgeek

vinylgeek Forum Resident

Well I’ve been listening to the new 850 now for the last three days on my heavily modified AR ES-1 and have been quite unable to tear myself away from spinning record after record! Honestly I could go on and on with superlatives but suffice it to say the arm has brought out the best of the Koetsu Urushi — an excellent pairing.

Adding hugely to the experience has been a change in phono/preamp. I started with my usual VTL TL2.5 but had just completed the repair of another tube unit and thought I’d just confirm it was working properly. But the sound quality improvement over the VTL was so great I couldn’t bear to change back!

So I don’t really have a fair “review” or direct comparison to the 750 to offer. However there is absolutely no doubt this arm and my cart are performing at a very high level and none of the shortcomings experienced with the 750 exist any more. The sound quality is truly the best I’ve ever heard with a mammoth soundstage, deep, tight bass and sparkling highs. And the subtleties like air movements, string touches and room size are mesmerizing.

I'd tried this very low compliance Urushi cart on my 750 but it just couldn't handle big low frequencies, even with the added weight of the Rosewood Headshell (16g). It just doesn't have the mass to make the Urushi sing. But the 850 has not only the mass, but improved damping and control. I'll also point out that I noticed a "lighter" more effortless movement when manually cuing up compared to my 12 month old 750 suggesting less friction.

Soon I'll switch to my Hana SL and see how the 850 does with a modern MC cart with moderate compliance. But for now it's great fun re-experiencing so many of my favorite LP's

ThorensSme, ddarch and Rolltide like this.
  18. vinylgeek

vinylgeek Forum Resident

That's going to depend on what you need for proper VTA but mine is near the top of its range and is 2 5/8" above the arm board.

19. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Where did this pic come from?? Do they offer an armboard, as well?? That looks purpose built for the 1200.

20. Erocka2000

I believe that armboard comes from Ammonite Audio which also makes improved mounting collars for Jelco tonearms.

21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I handled the Ammonite Technics armboards last week, they are really nicely done, the best ones I've seen for the Technics, I just wish they weren't £200 and that they did a Rega fit as well.

56GoldTop likes this.
  22. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Nice! Very nice.

23. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

I'm finding the same. (Lesser cartridge) I know the 750 and the 2M Bronze intimately, and the Bronze on the 850s is a significant upgrade. "Fluid" is the word that keeps coming to mind...notes springing from the grooves effortlessly. I also echo the comment that it's hard to stop listening. I can't wait to throw an even higher end cartridge on it!

Rolltide likes this.
  24. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

25. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member