New Jelco TK-950S and TK-850S Tonearms

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Erocka2000, Jan 24, 2018.

1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Except it's not articulated like the Dynavector.

2. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

I have noticed that I have to set my anti-skate about .5 - .7 g higher than the tracking force using the Soundsmith method of adjustment. While this wasn't a problem when using carts requiring VTF from 1.5 - 2 g, I recently upgraded to an Ortofon Cadenza Blue which wants 2.5 - 2.7g VTF. With that, I have my AS pegged all the way up, and it is not enough to set using SS method. I am getting some skipping on the lead in groove and IGD on some of my hotter cut records.

Has anyone else noticed the same issue of having to set the AS higher.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  3. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Yes. I routinely set my anti-skate higher than VTF. Try to ease the lever down onto the lead-in groove - it helps initial skipping somewhat.

4. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Weird, on my 850S, I have the antiskate set to half the tracking weight of my Koetsu.

5. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

I’ve tried that and also cueing by hand. It doesn’t always jump, but it does maybe a 3rd of the time. Doing the SS method of AS, even with the setting maxed out at 3 it still wants to launch into the center label.

That’s good, maybe there’s just a run of these with AS being off. Or it could be the cart...

6. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

I own Jelco 750D and 850S arms. For some reason the 850S consistently wants about 50% more anti-skate than the 750D using the SS method. My 2.0g VTF carts are requiring anti-skate of around 3.0 on the 850S. Accordingly, I would imagine a Cadenza Blue on my 850S would require more AS than the arm offers, yeah. Kind of strange.

darkmatter likes this.
  7. Erocka2000

For those of you using excessive anti-skate force, what type of alignment are you using on your 850S?

8. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Baerwald, I believe the arm was designed with that alignment in mind.

9. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Bummer, it looks like i’ll have to deal with it or move on.

10. Erocka2000

Okay. Just making sure. Baerwald, to me, is always to way to go, regardless of tonearm. Are you also making sure your azimuth is correct? I just can't see why that much anti-skate would be needed. And have you ever looked at the cantilever straight on as it plays a record to see if it's bending towards the spindle or outwards?

11. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

I
    Azimuth was set using a multimeter and test record (ie Fremer), and verified with a mirror.

The cantilever has little movement as it is low compliance. When I was running the ART9, the higher AS was consistent with keeping the cantilever on center.

12. missan

missan Forum Resident

We dont really know how VTF readings corresponds with AS readings.

13. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

I use Baerwald as well, and always fine tune the azimuth. I've verified that the cantilever sits straight in the groove when antiskate is set to 3.0 with 2.0g VTF. When I run with 2.0 antiskate, there is a slight deflection indicating it's not enough.

Maybe the antiskate on some of these arms is not calibrated right. I'm stumped.

14. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

What mechanism/technique are you using to verify azimuth?

15. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

While on the Jelco subject this is a new 550 9" on an AR ES1 with CW mods.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

patient_ot and Done A Ton like this.
  16. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Looks great. How is the AS on your arm? Are you having the same issues?

17. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

No issues here. Just about spot on.

18. AJSki2fly

AJSki2fly Active Member

I was just looking to see what people have been using with JELCO TK850's and thought I would add to this.

I am using a 850M (10") on a Voyd TT, previously SME IV which is a special hybrid with aspects of a V. Cartridge I am using is Benz Micro LP-S.

I purchased the TK850M as it had been recommended to me and I wanted to try out a 10" arm which the Voyd can take.

My thoughts are this, the SME gives lots of detail and extracts everything that it can IMO, but at times the presentation can sound a little clinical or perhaps dry, it varies depending on the music, this can be especially true of rock music. The JELCO on the other hand seems to be good across the board, there is still lots of detail but the presentation feels more musical. It's a hard one to say one is better than the other, I think both are very good, it could be argued that in the best world two TT's with two arms would be the best option, but that's not practical for me. By the way both arm produce extremely good and detailed low end.

I think the SME IV is a superb arm for detail and control, but the JELCO is unbelievably good and a quarter of the price. So if you are looking for a good arm that does the business then an 850 and do not want to spend a fortune then an 850 is a good choice IMO.

Phono lead Furutech AG12, Phonostage - LFD MMC, Amp ALLNIC T1500 mk2, Speaker Leads Chord Reference,speakers Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grande Symphonies or JBL L100 Century's

19. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Excited to say I just purchased a TK 850 L and Hana ML cartridge (from a SA 750 L and Hana SL)! Should be installed soon, will share my thoughts as it breaks in.

patient_ot and advanced101 like this.
  20. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

Two questions for these arms:

1) I've read the differences of the 850/950 MKI with MKII are the better cartridge lead wires. Any other differences in their construction?

2) Do you all prefer the knife edged bearings in the new arms over the older arms, I'm mostly interested in a 750 - 850 (MKI & MKII) comparison.

21. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

How do you discern whether you have an MKII or I?

22. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

I have no idea, they look the same to me but they may be different on the inside.

23. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Ok, I did ask because not only it's the first time I hear about the MKII but I happened to buy a new 850S about a year ago. Presumably would be the latest before the production went on hold. I have checked the box and the leaflet thoroughly and there is no indication at all of being an MKII which often you get with revisions.

24. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

Yours is the first edition, I checked photos online. There is an indication on the box.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yours is gold or rhodium plated?

[​IMG]

25. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Be interested to have your thoughts with respect to the sound quality differences between the 750D and the 850s?

I am looking at either the SA-750L and Jelco TK850L 12 " arms and wanted to gauge the differences between 750 and 850 models

Thanks,

DM