New Jennifer Warnes album "Another Time, Another Place", May 25, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueJay, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I'm surprised this has still not been released on vinyl... :confused:

Jrr and BlueJay like this.
  2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I am a huge fan of Eric Carmen and, well, a lot of Arista’s artists from that era so I guess I must like Clive’s taste. A lot of great songs came out of Arista in the 70’s and 80’s. However, regarding Boats Against The Current I do like the title track a lot. But as hard as I’ve tried, and perhaps I’ll put it on again today, I just can’t get into the album. I liked his next album (Change of Heart?) a lot better, though that and nothing else later on came close, imo, to his debut album where pretty much every song was much better and very consistent. I suspect between the length of time between the Raspberries breaking up and his signing to Arista, he had a lot more time to write quality material. His biography is fantastic if you haven’t read it yet!

3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I just checked last night and as you said, it still hasn’t. Missed opportunity as I would have ordered it blindly before. I know it’s hard to judge an album based on 30 second samples but aside from the opening track (I listened to the samples last night) nothing resonated with me regarding the music itself so I doubt I’ll buy it now. I wonder how the CD sold?

4. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident Thread Starter

My sentiments entirely. I would almost certainly have pre-ordered this record if it had been made available on vinyl. I have nearly all Jennifer's previous records on vinyl. I wasn't keen to buy it on cd and now that I've listened to it, even less so. There's just nothing on this record that excites or interests me. Yes, she has a fine distinctive voice and yes, she has an impressive body of work behind her. But after such a long wait I was hoping for something more than a routine collection of covers.

Jrr likes this.
  5. I didn't get around to ordering the CD & in the interim noticed DR Database logged it with a high of 12 on a single track, 2 at 8, a 9, with several at 10. Album details - Dynamic Range Database

I guess it shouldn't surprise me what with "The Well" having 4 tracks at 9.

:cry:

6. pghmusiclover

7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Way too late. Appreciate the heads up though.

8. pghmusiclover

The album was released in May of 2018, so it's almost a year to wait for the vinyl release. I only got the download back then, so I am happy the vinyl is finally announced. Impex does great work, so sometimes you just have to be patient for things to be done properly (plus we all know the "pressing plants are backlogged" refrain).

9. BlueJay

We waited 17 years for this record. What's another year! I'm in for the vinyl.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I don't understand this. Have you lost interest in the album after one year?

11. pghmusiclover

So it looks like the release date has now moved to May 2019 (no specific date is listed).

As an FYI, Impex posted the following on their Facebook page. I asked them what the bonus track is on the SACD, but so far no response. And why wouldn't they just add a bonus 45 with the song for the LP?

Have you heard?? Legendary singer-songwriter Jennifer Warnes has created a beautiful elegant new album!! Yup Brand New....

Jennifer’s long time mastering engineer and friend Bernie Grundman artfully brings out all the details, presence and harmonic body of this amazing life-like recording. Joining Warnes are brilliant musicians such as Dean Parks (Steely Dan, Bob Dylan) Vinnie Colaiuta (Frank Zappa, Sting) and Greg Liesz (k.d Lang, Eric Clapton)
    Available exclusively through Impex Records on luxe 180g vinyl, with impeccable quite pressing by RTI. The album cover is a heavy stock tip on jacket which includes a 16-page booklet of lyrics and photos. Also available in SACD with bonus track!!

Available to ship May 2019.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  12. That's an unexpected SACD. I wonder why it didn't come out when the CD was issued.

13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yup.

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

15. BlueJay

Uh-oh, I see the vinyl is 'currently unavailable' on Amazon. No pre-orders possible. It was due May 10th but this suggests a delay. Jennifer Warnes? A delay? Impossible!

16. pghmusiclover

According to the ad on Elusive Disc, the release date is now June.

17. BlueJay

This now has a release date of June 21 in Canada. Price: $60.75. At that price it may sell two copies. Who's going to buy the other one?

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

PhantomStranger likes this.
  19. pghmusiclover

So excited to have the vinyl release FINALLY! Impex has done a beautiful job on it, so it was definitely worth the wait!

Does anyone know what the SACD-only bonus track is?

20. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Did this album meet expectations?
    For me, it did not.

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

nor i.

quite disappointing, considering how long we waited for it.

Classicrock and Comet01 like this.
  22. pghmusiclover

For anyone interested, here's a short interview about the vinyl release. Two items of note from the article: The SACD is due in about 8 weeks and the producer of the vinyl release for Impex states "I think there is a possibility Jennifer will be recording again soon." So who knows, maybe it won't be 17 years until the next album!

For what it's worth, I actually like this album much better than "The Well", which I just couldn't get into for some reason.

Jennifer Warnes, Another Time Another Place | High End 2019 | Part-Time Audiophile

aphexj likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I'm finding it a bit underwhelming I'm afraid. Just a bit safe in terms of material. Also I'm doubting this one is an analogue recording. Can't find anything indicating this. Likely DSD since they are doing an SACD version? Quality package and pressing but I don't find the recording and music justify the £42 price tag in the UK. Her weakest album so far IMO.

Steve356 likes this.
  24. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Just got round to playing the vinyl LP. I like it a lot, her voice is still great and the material is strong and beautifully played. Is it her best? No, but its a good additional to a reasonably small cannon of work.

Impex did a great job with the release too. I have almost everything from the label and a wonderful series of records it is proving to be.

BlueJay and pghmusiclover like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.