New Kathleen Edwards - Options Open

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by violarules, May 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I've never encountered it.

walrus likes this.
  2. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

Yes - nice signature on the new cd.

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I remember at one point she talked about it being reissued, but it never came to pass. (given her label switches, I'm not sure if she has any input into this or not)

4. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

She did a show at the Pittsburgh Arts Festival and I got her to sign my album of Voyageur. She wrote "To Mark in the Pittsburgh Park". As an aside, she was unbelievably beautiful in person. I've never seen a picture that did her justice. I actually swooned a little when I met her.

melstapler likes this.
  5. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I keep thinking what a great RSD issue it would be. I also sent it to MOVs suggestion box.

moonshiner and melstapler like this.
  6. violarules

violarules Senior Member Thread Starter

I finally received my vinyl pre-order copy of "Total Freedom" this past weekend. This pressing is not great. The vinyl has a louder noise floor than a lot of new vinyl I have purchased, and, to my ears, the treble is rolled off. The only other copy I have to compare it to is the streaming version via Amazon Music, but, when played through the same system, it's clear the streaming version has more high frequency content. It's doubly strange because my vinyl copy of "Asking for Flowers" has the same rolled-off presentation in the highs. Has anyone else noticed this or compared the vinyl to a digital version?

7. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I gave my opinion in post #39.

8. violarules

violarules Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks. Not really talking about the sibilance or distortion you heard, though, but noticeably different EQ presentation. Makes me wonder how the two formats could sound so different when most releases now use the same digital master for all formats. And, to me, not only does the vinyl not sound better, but it sounds markedly worse.

9. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

To my ears it sounds the same, basically.

10. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Great album, nice return for Kathleen. Likely her most interesting sounding album, and a lot of that credit goes to the shared producers on the tracks (Jim Bryson and Ian Fitchuk).

I have no issues with my vinyl copy (black), sounds OK.

I almost 100% sure Failer does not exist on vinyl. Back to Me onwards are on vinyl. Asking for Flowers was the hardest for me to find; she'd come across a few and was selling them at a show a couple of years ago in Ottawa (for way less than she should have been selling them). Failer on vinyl would be nice, just to complete the collection. Not sure if it will happen, as it was released by two labels she's no longer associated with.

rydersdad and bobloblaw like this.
  11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Couple relevant tweets. Have some album rights reverted back to her?

Kathleen Edwards @kittythefool Do not fear. Vinyl reissues in the works. For less than that
    10:35 AM · Oct 26, 2017

@kittythefool i am so excited to be releasing Failer on vinyl this fall. the best part is that i can decide to put it out with whomever i want.
    8:13 PM · Jun 5, 2011

My mistake on thinking there was a Failer vinyl stemmed from the following tweet:

@kittythefool I'm also bringing 5 copies of my first pressing of Failer which has a different recorded version of "6 o'clock news" .... yay!
    8:36 AM · Jun 29, 2017

bobloblaw likes this.
  12. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

Really good album, but the black vinyl pressing is a dud. Even after cleaning, there's a constant whirring/rustling beneath the music, which is very obvious during the many quiet sections and (of course) in between tracks. Reminds me of the Stones' Beggars Banquet 50th anniversary set.

13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

Wait, this is the first I’ve heard of this. Is there an alternate or promo version of this CD?

14. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

The Canadian pressing has a few songs that have different mixes when compared to the Zoe US CD.

The Canadian version is here:

Kathleen Edwards - Failer

she also has a few cool single edits and remixes from the past that are worth seeking out.

bobloblaw likes this.
  15. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Been a fan since Failer. Got Total Freedom this week. Music: vintage Edwards, which is a good thing. The albums grows on me every listen.

The vinyl: not so good. The record had some horrible scratches, probably from moving around during transit. It has a paper sleeve and those things are like sand paper when pressed on with enough force. Also pretty underwhelmed by how it sounds (considering the sticker says: mastered for vinyl)

It’s things like this that have me looking for a new cd-player and/or something to play flac/alac on my system

markshan likes this.
  16. walrus

Upgrading your digital playback probably isn't going to help much with this album. Although I certainly recommend everyone getting some kind of hookup to stream to their stereo, it's easy to do and there's plenty of people here who can offer advice.

[​IMG]

markshan likes this.
  17. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Could you expound on this? The only rarities I knew of were the DVD with her wonderful AC/DC cover, the Wapusk 7” and a couple soundtrack songs.

18. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Agree completely but still just thrilled to get a new album from her.

Speedmaster likes this.
  19. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I don't have anything in front of me, but here's a few off the top of my head:

One More Song the Radio Won't Like (Remix):

Kathleen Edwards - One More Song The Radio Won't Like

I Make the Dough, You Get the Glory (Remix):

Kathleen Edwards - I Make The Dough, You Get The Glory

Change the Sheets (Radio Edit):

Kathleen Edwards - Change The Sheets

A Face in the Crowd (Tom Petty cover):

Various - Sweetheart (Love Songs)

The Asking For Flowers digital album had three bonus cuts: Lazy Eye, I Can't Give You Up, and an acoustic version of the title track.

Her duet with John Doe on "The Golden State" is fantasic -- and then there are probably a dozen live, in-studio tracks from various radio station compilations.

And for Christmas: It's Christmastime (Let's Just Survive), by Kathleen Edwards

I'm sure I'm missing some, but this is a start for you.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Isitquiex likes this.
  20. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Thanks. Yes, I love her duet with John Doe. The Xmas song might be the one thing I've heard from her that I really don't like. It had me concerned about what direction this album would take, but those fears were unfounded.

21. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

My personal favorite leftover song is Hot Mess, from the Voyageur sessions.

22. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Where does one find this?

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Roxette/John Denver covers. Live she's done Joni/Outfield "Joey"/Springsteen covers plus a ton more. There's also her "pre-fame" Buffalo 55 ep, though many songs got re-recorded on her debut.

[​IMG]
    3 live tracks on this 2004 DVD released in Canada.

Hot Mess is new to me as well. Must be a digital bonus track.

24. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Hi, what am I looking at here? Compression analysis?
    How do I ‘read’ this?

25. walrus

no analysis, just the waveform of the digital/CD version of the song.

Speedmaster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.