New Kendrick Lamar album, "DAMN". 14th April 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Moth, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Before I end up caving on a CD purchase....anyone see any news on a possible vinyl release for this one?

Self-control will need to kick into overdrive, I think.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Nah! He's deeper than that! Kendrick is on a whole 'nother level. I'm not saying the other two guys are bad, but, just different, IMO.

I'm going to wait until I can buy this either in lossless form or on CD, though. I don't do iTunes.

3. Grant

[Derrek "MixedByAli" Ali=QUOTE]I don’t want to feel like I am editing a movie.[/QUOTE]

By god! I think he nailed describing working with music on a DAW.

4. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

I don't like trap, so the production on this is a huge disappointment. TPAB is the only release of his that's really grabbed me and it's almost totally due to the production on that album, which was fantastic.

5. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

First listen for me - musically not up to TPAB but lyrically as remarkable as ever. Recommended!

6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Gosh, the album cover and track list looks great!

Grant likes this.
  7. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

After a few plays I think I like this a bit better that TPAB. That might change, but it doesn't matter, this is still, as you said, remarkable.

8. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I think the thing that turned me off the most on this album (though on repeated listenings it becomes less of a problem) is the often jarring changes between songs. It was most definitely intentional, considering the artist.

9. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Kendrick is also becoming the king of jarring changes WITHIN a song!

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  10. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Indeed, DAMN GOOD.

A few weeks ago I read somewhere that besides the other "big" names, D'Angelo was also featured on one of the upcoming tracks. I found that he is nowhere to be found on the released album. Any info on this, or it was just a hoax?

11. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Not to be confused with Florida Evans' album.

'Cept hers was a triple set. :p

PDK likes this.
  12. Grant

Just let me know when it's available for purchase.

13. Vince Gill

Vince Gill Forum Resident

FEAR. is track of the year right now. Just a monster album. So different from TPAB but no less brilliant. It's inspiring to see someone ascend to the top of their craft in the way Kendrick has since Section.80

14. Mr. Grieves

97/100 on metacritic is pretty good. Looks like the critics love this one too.

If Butterfly didn't already solidify Kendrick as one of the greatest artists of our time(GKMC already did that imo), then surely DAMN. will, right? I mean, this a great artist hitting his stride right before our eyes. If I gotta smack another K-Dot hater imma make it look sexy.. ;)

15. music-man

music-man Forum Resident

To me Kendrick Lamar is approaching a level of consistency with his projects that reminds me of Outkast, multiple classic hiphop albums in a row. Very impressed by the lyrics and overall album concept, 'DUCKWORTH.' blows my mind with the storytelling.

fourfeathers likes this.
  16. Mr. Grieves

I think it's very much the centerpiece of the album. I feel it has the most significance of all the tracks in what Kendrick feels at this stage in his life, & is probably the clearest view into his psyche yet. The whole "beat yo ass" section is a highlight on this entire album for me.

Vince Gill likes this.
  17. Vince Gill

Vince Gill Forum Resident

100% agree. I love how he references songs from his back catalog in it; really creates a full bodied portrait of his vision.

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Guitar Weirdo Rob Scallon takes on DAMN:

rednax likes this.
  19. arglebargle

arglebargle Forum Resident

After half a dozen listens I'm taking a break from DAMN. to dig into various Kendrick/TDE family producers and collaborators. Was already listening to a bunch of Terrace Martin solo stuff while waiting for this album to drop. Velvet Portraits plays front-to-back. Leans to the smoother side of things but somehow scratches that TPAB itch—jazz sensibility with hip-hop textures. His other albums 3ChordFold, 3Chordfold Pulse etc have some of that as well. 30 minute+ live piece at the end of 3ChordFold Pulse is raw but never boring. The Alchemist (who produced FEAR.) has a new instrumental mixtape out, Rapper's Best Friend Vol. 4. Terrace Martin's Hard Drives: Instrumentals Vol. 1 is another nice subwoofer workout; the man knows his kicks! Also been digging back into 9th Wonder's production discography, starting with Murs 3:16: The 9th Edition. Love a single producer record. Deeper collaborations, cohesion, vision, whatever. Most of this is available on Tidal.

johnnypaddock and Naughty Chord like this.
  20. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Trying to formulate coherent thoughts on my reaction to this album, and it is difficult. I'm just in awe of Kendrick at this point -- his talent, his vision, his prolific output. It's a thrill to witness. There isn't a weak track on the record, and the constant stylistic shifts keep me intrigued listen-to-listen. Honesty, heart and hooks. Is there a better combination?!

Kendrick is the king of the all-engrossing release. Anytime he drops something, I find it hard to listen to anything else. I could not be further removed from Kendrick's life, yet his vision consumes me. Every time.

His show at Coachella the other night was possibly the best he's ever performed. Backed by one of the biggest stage productions I've ever seen at a hip-hop show, Kendrick had the artistic fortitude to play a set composed mainly of new material. And he ****ing killed it. One man, spitting bar after bar, for almost two hours, in front of god knows how many people. Anytime he brought out a guest, it revealed how leaps and bounds ahead of the game Kendrick is. Coachella crowds live and die on the surprise guest. Yet anytime anyone but Kendrick was on that stage, it fell flat. They just wanted more Kendrick.

He's an artist in total command and continually evolving his game. And I couldn't be happier to be along for the ride.

21. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson Active Member

Naughty Chord, Kevin j and Gaslight like this.
  22. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

WE'VE GOT A VINYL RELEASE.

Red vinyl with digital download, and AUTOGRAPHED by Kendrick.
    $35 plus ship, unavailable after the 20th.

Gaslight likes this.
  23. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

scroll up a post :pineapple:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  24. Grant

I don't want vinyl. If there will not be any CD, i'll take a lossless download.

The times are changing. You can't buy Kanye West's "The Life of Pablo", either. The future sucks. I don't like streaming.

25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

CD version is already available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.