New Kevin Smith movie "Jersey Girl" delayed until 2004

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tyler, Jun 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

According to Smith's official website: http://www.viewaskew.com/main.html

Jersey Girl has been delayed until February. The culprit behind this? "The Matrix Revolutions". Maybe Ben and JLO will be together long enough to attend the premiere.

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'm not a Kevin Smith fan by any means, but what do the MATRIX movies have to do with this?

3. Tyler

I think Miramax is behind "Jersey Girl". Quite possible they're scared of any competition. They don't want their film to be crushed by the ultra-hyped Blockbuster movie.

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Jersey Girl is supposedly a very low key romantic comedy, quite unlike Smith's previous work, though it's said to be closer in tone to, say Chasing Amy than Mallrats
    :D

If they want the film to get seen, it makes sense to keep its release away from any of the big blockbusters (though I imagine the lukewarm response to Matrix Reloaded may have cooled the excitement over the third Matrix flick.)

I think the real hurdle Jersey Girl will have to get over is whatever the reaction is to the film Gigli. That's the first film Affleck and J-Lo worked on, and if it tanks (and the advance word hasn't been good), it could taint any buzz for Jersey Girl. In fact, many people actually confuse the two films, including a recent gossip column who reported bad word or mouth and reshoots for Jersey Girl, when in fact, they were actually about Gigli. If Affleck and J-Lo have no onscreen chemistry in Gigli, it could easily hurt Smith's film. It's always possible that they're just using the Matrix excuse as a reason to keep Jersey Girl as far away from Gigli as possible.

5. Tyler

That makes sense to me. I don't even know what "Gigli" is supposed to be about. I wonder how Jersey Girl will do if/when Ben and JLO break up.

I hope this is a quality movie. I'd hate to see Smith's first Jay & Silent Bob-free movie tank at the box office. Kevin had posted on his website that "Jersey Girl" is "Hands down the best thing I've ever done".

I guess I'll have to wait and see.

6. reechie

reechie Senior Member

True, but he tends to say that about whatever his latest project is.

He also said you didn't have to see the rest of his films to get the jokes in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Later on, he admitted that was a bald faced lie!
    :laugh:

I do hope this one works though, because Smith's already taken a whole lot of heat just for caving in to Affleck's wishes, and casting J-Lo in the film, even though it seems her part is a relatively small one.

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back is one big long inside joke!

Seriously, this sucks. Even if this is not a "Viewaskewniverse" film, I love everything Kevin Smith does(fans should check out his Daredevil comic book story, #1-8, for example; Green Arrow #1-15 also rocks), and don't want to wait until frickin' FEBRUARY! Sheee-it!

Evan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.