New Lambchop! - 'This (is what I wanted to tell you).

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wild Frank, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident Thread Starter

A new Lambchop record is on the way!!. Due on the 22 March 2019. Hear the new single and the startling artwork below. Consistently great band and 'Nixon' is tied (with Van Morrison's 'Veeden Fleece') as my favourite album of all times!

Lambchop

Pop_Zeus, Maurice, Hank and 3 others like this.
  2. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Can't wait for this. They never disappoint. I saw them a few years ago when they toured FLOTUS and it was amazing.

3. Wild Frank

I missed that tour but imagine the live presentation of the FLOTUS songs was interesting. That was a strong album, as they all are. Special shout out for 'Damaged' which is a classic in my book. Those shows were great.

They are really well loved over here in Europe/UK so always good opportunities to catch Kurt and whatever configuration of the band is out.

4. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Quicker than usual turnaround for albums! The lead-off single is gorgeous, continuing the sound of FLOTUS which is a massive plus in my book. For me that was one of the 'Chop's finest records.

Wild Frank likes this.
  5. Sprocket Henry

My goodness - this was worth the wait! This album is gorgeous, dense and streets ahead of FLOTUS (which I love). How on Earth have Lambchop knocked out two of their best records on the trot nearly 30 years into their career? It makes my head spin.

Seriously - this is a top 3 Lambchop record for me; joining Is A Woman and OH. The arrangements have so much going on, but there's a beautiful cohesiveness to them. Kurt's now mastered the autotune to full expressive effect, and Tony Crow's piano and Matt Swanson's bass work are - at times - breathtaking. When I heard the opening "The new isn't so you anymore", there's a bass line towards the end when Kurt sings I'm breathing actual air that nearly brought on tears. It's pure class.

I know I'm already sounding a bit superlative and sentimental, but I look forward to growing old with this record. An absolute bloody stunner of a thing. :love::love::love::love::love:

I've purchased on Bandcamp and ordered the clear vinyl edition.

Take a bow, Kurt.:cheers:

6. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Sprocket Henry and Wild Frank like this.
  7. Wild Frank

The title track is a thing of genius. Top tier Lambchop. I get the Talk Talk comparison but the title track makes me think of The Blue Nile if they were still putting out music.

The whole blooming album is masterful, up there with Nixon, Damaged and Is A Woman for me.

Sprocket Henry and pghmusiclover like this.
  8. Sprocket Henry

Yes - absolutely with the Talk Talk reference, I thought that exact same thing with the penultimate track. Though, yes - also a nod for the Blue Nile. :agree:

pghmusiclover and Wild Frank like this.
  9. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I went to two record stores in Chicago this weekend looking for the vinyl version of the album and neither had it in stock. Very weird.

10. Sprocket Henry

I received the limited edition white vinyl in the mail earlier this week. It took less than a week in shipping all the way down to Australia - I'm forever impressed with City Slang...they included a fab sticker and CD sampler of 2019 releases too! The latter will do very nicely in the car; and the sticker will look pretty lovely on one of my guitar cases.

As for the record itself, the packaging is excellent - sleeve, liners, etc. The pressing is superb. I don't have many records on white vinyl (Wilco's Star Wars comes to mind) but the fidelity is outstanding. Obviously not being compressed to buggery via Spotify or mp3 the bass presence on the album is attenuated significantly. I hadn't had a chance to download the lossless version via Bandcamp yet, so this has been my first listen in all of its dynamic glory and it sounds gorgeous - arrangements breathe and the spaciousness is more pronounced.

Looking forward to listening to the lossless version in my car eventually. My stereo absolutely freaked out at the mp3/Spotify version (much like Low's Double Negative from last year). Perhaps if I had an enormous woofer in the boot that would be a different story, but that's not really my thing.

11. Oldhall

Oldhall Forum Resident

Just received the black vinyl from Merge- the pressing is appalling, one side endless crackly/noisy, the other side with a hunk of sticky/gooey industrial residue that i removed/cleaned as well as I could, but I still get 6-8 revolutions of loud popping. I've written to Merge to complain. Really love the album, Kurt thinks he's Moby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.