New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

2. Jay805

Jay805 Member

3. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Jay805 likes this.
  4. Chris Amott

Chris Amott Forum Resident

So I ended up selling the Linlai 805's DG's at a very small loss. They had an open, grain-free treble but were way too lean for my liking. But they were the DG's not new E(lite) series which is more (price) equivalent to the Acme's. I am currently still running in the ACME 805's but definitely preferring them. The ACME's are fuller and well balanced. Again, I have not listened to the Lilai E-805's and am not aware of any reviews specifically of that tube yet. But all of the reviews of other Linlai E-series tubes vs equivalent ACME (eg. E-300b vs ACME 300b) seem to be coming to the same consensus - the Linlai's are possibly more neutral with a bit more finesse, whereas the ACME's have a bit more body and color. I think the analogy of Burgundy vs Bordeaux seems to work well in this case. It may not be a matter of which is better but which you prefer. In my case, the ACME's are a better match for my highly resolving/neutral speakers and lively room.

Devg and Pedro Guillemain like this.
  5. Devg

Devg Member

I would agree. They both seem to be a great performer with rest of the system marching. I have the E-6SN7 breaking in my Lampizator DAC. They are neutral and very open sounding. After about 100hrs or so, will switch to the LM and see how it compares to the Sylvania vt-231 I am currently running.

Chris Amott likes this.
  6. Jay805

Jay805 Member

Jmpsmash,

Where can you get RCA for $3-400? The lowest I’ve seen is $700 for a pair. Thanks

7. Jay805

Jay805 Member

Revising my math based on having more information.

Based on using the LM508ia 500 hrs/yr :

6F8G/VT99/6sn7s = last 10,000 hrs @ $250= 20yrs = about $1/month
    EML 300B-XLS = last 40,000 hrs @ $700 = (more than rest of my life so)= about $2/month
    RCA or Psvane Acme 805 = last 5000 hrs @ $700 = 10 yrs = about $6/mo

total = $9/mo which is not even annoying. It’s a glass of wine per month.

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

He's hasn't been back in 3 months.

9. Jay805

Jay805 Member

Strat-Mangler,
    Thanks a lot. Do you believe a matched pair of RCA 805 tubes is realistic for $3-400 or is $700 more like it? Is there any particular type of RCA 805 tube you suggest? I was also considering the Psvane Cosser as someone on this thread actually preferred it to the RCA for the money saying the Cosser is warmer but the RCA is more transparent. What is your opinion on the Cosser? I am getting the EML-300b xls (because it lasts forever and you said it is warm and the best) so if I get the Cosser that would be warm 300b on warm 805 and that may be too warm.

This is the one I may pull the trigger on
    1MP 805 VT143 DHT RCA NOS NIB Square getter made in U.S.A Audio tubes | eBay

10. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Someones here on the forum prefer the Psvane ACMEs over the RCA and some others prefer the RCA. Both cost about the same. I've bought my ACMEs for about 700 bucks plus shipping directly from www.china-hifi-audio.com, a very professional dealer.

I've tried the Psvane 805A-TII, about the same level and price than Cossor, and the ACMEs are "noticeably" better.

The A-TII are also much better than stock, but ACMEs are in a whole different league.

I would say, if you have the money, is either ACMEs or RCA. You can shearch for different users impressions (wich have tried both) in this forum and make your own choice. You will have to consider opinions, your taste and system.

Also consider the Sylvania brown base and VT-99 pretty transparent, not warmish, but neutral, revealing and holographic.

Finally, give the VT-99 10 to 20 hours to start showing their potential. They can sound thin and a little harsh from the box. Brown base should sound good from start.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  11. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

My favorite 6SN7's in the LM805ia are a pair of 60-year old Tung Sol 6SN7GT Round Plates I picked up used but were originally sourced as NOS from Vintage Tube Services.

Based on some great recommendations from @Strat-Mangler I'm also running an early 60s Mullard ECC35 and a pair of EML300B-XLS's.

Last year I split a quad of vintage RCA 805s with @adamaley and really love the slam and really clean articulate sonics they bring. I can attest that you can't find these RCA's under $700/pair. They match really well with the organic fluidity of the preamp tubes.

I have no desire to roll any tubes in the amp at this point....love the synergy my set provide.

Jay805 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

I brought those RCA 805s into the thread because I enjoyed them so much. They quickly became very popular and for good reason. :)

Glad you're enjoying the end result. I sure am! :drool:

Ontheone likes this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

$400 is realistic. You may need to be patient and shop around but they're out there.

There aren't many types. I recall seeing 2-3 variants over a period of 20 years so they were pretty constant. They'll rock no matter which ones you get. Don't worry. :)

Cossor tubes are horrible. The person who preferred them would be an outlier, being candid. Bypass any and all Chinese tubes. Just best to go with the good NOS European or American stuff, in my experience. Never had a Chinese tube that I enjoyed and I've tried quite a few in guitar amps.

There is usually no "best". It's a mélange of tubes that get you that great synergy, as you implied. There are other options which are also supposedly great but I don't have the means to randomly buy them merely to try; Takatsuki, Elrog, Western Electric reissues or the originals, and more. From research I've conducted, the ones who tried the Elrog and the EML, the conclusion was the EMLs were more dynamic and warmer whereas the Elrog had a somewhat softer and more neutral presentation. All depends what you're after and what would benefit your system and tastes.

EML's warranty is unmatched; just remember to buy from authorized sellers and to register your warranty within 1 week of receiving the tubes.

Jay805 likes this.
  14. Jay805

Jay805 Member

Pedro,

Thanks. I already bought the Sylvania Brown base and VT99 based on your recommendations. I’m pretty much decided on EML300B-XLS's for their longevity, warmth and excellence. As you say, I need to do some research on RCA vs Acme. I will trust you that Cossors are a league below and strike them from my list.

Finding a reputable source for the RCA’s for $700 with a warranty of some sort is proving a bit difficult and then there’s making the custom cord. Then the prospect of getting the RCAs a good synergy with the preamp and 300b tubes and possibly later finding out that the RCA’s have gone up in price or are no longer available has me thinking that the Acmes might be the better all around deal for the 805s.

Pedro Guillemain likes this.
  15. Jay805

Jay805 Member

Thanks Strat-Mangker,

I will get the EMLs and give the RCAs a little bit of patience in finding some around $400 or even $550. That would be enough of a difference in price between that and the Acmes to be worth the extra risk, hassle.

16. Chris Amott

The only RCA 805’s you are going to find for $400 are winning an auction on a pair of well used/untested. Try searching completed listings on eBay or hifishark and you will see. You can forget about a warranty.

I would just accept that it will cost you $700 - $800 for a quality pair of 805’s. Be it RCA, EML’s, ACMEs or the new Linlai’s.

As for sonic differences between them, I think it’s fairly clear from prior comments and other reviews that the EML’s will be on the warm/full end of the spectrum, with the RCA’s more articulate but lean. ACME’s somewhere in between, and Linlai’s very likely a modern version of the RCA’s. You will likely need to decide which is a better match for your current system and room and go for it! Remember that if they are new or truly NOS you will be able to sell them for only a small loss. As @Strat-Mangler says it’s like a rental fee ...

Jay805 likes this.
  17. Chris Amott

Ok I have no idea what I was smoking earlier ... the EML's are 300b's and not 805's so disregard those in my above post. I had comparisons of EML 300b's and ACME 300b's running through my head and I hastily wrote a reply! Sorry about that. The relative sonic differences of ACME 805's vs RCA 805's (and new Linlai's) still stand though.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  18. Jay805

Jay805 Member

Chris,

Thanks for clearing that up. Linlai 805’s were not even on my radar. Let me see if I can find some reviews on those. Thanks

19. Strat-Mangler

Here's one to keep your eye on.

Vintage RCA 805 JAN VT-143 Pair matching date codes | eBay

20. Jay805

Jay805 Member

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  21. Jay805

Jay805 Member

LM Enthusiasts,

My unbroken in new LM 508ia is starting to pull even with my 2 old bridged Decware Zens se84c’s. Those things are awesome but have 5 watts on a good day. I might have sent the LM back if you guys didn’t tell me to be patient. I don’t know what kind of tubes are in my zen. My LM508 has stock tubes and 20-30hrs burn in. Waiting on some decent 6SL7s and 6sN7s. I know my next move on the 300Bs and my 2 options on the 805s.

Still waiting on Tekton to send me my Lore Be’s with upgraded caps. 98db sensitivity :). It’s been almost 6 frikin months! Ugh

The guys on this thread are awesome. Pedro, Mangler, Chris, on the one, Raz. Obviously thanks to Steve Hoffman. I appreciate you all. The toughest thing, if you don’t have unlimited money to throw at the Audiophile Journey is finding good info. Not much brick and mortar plus COVID makes it hard to audition anything. The reason I chose the LM 805 over the willsenton 805, Mingda 805, Dared 805, etc , etc is because I could find info/reviews on the LM. This thread is awesome.

22. Chris Amott

I saw those when writing my earlier reply above. If you can get them for less than $500 and they are in good shape then that would be a good deal. And might be a better complement to the EML 300b's if you are sure you are going that route. But note that many think that the ACME 300b's are better than the EML's, including @adamaley who likely has tried more of these tubes than anyone else in this forum.

I am really enjoying my new ACME 805's - a big bold sound that has pushed out the soundstage (depth and width) and given some more foundation to the music. I would like to also try the RCA's at some point but still concerned they are going to be too lean as per other's experience with them in this thread.

23. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Your findings are similar than mine with my ACMEs 805. I like them very much and I also like the effect of Herbie's dumpers (Halo ones) on them. I thought that only preamp tubes were the ones to be used with the dumpers, but I was wrong.

24. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I would describe the RCA 805's as punchy, articulate, clean, and detailed. What they are not is warm. So it's about system synergy....if your system needs more warmth you will not get it from these tubes. But if your system already has plenty organic, liquid tube beauty then RCA's may be a perfect match to integrate some slam and detail into the sonics. I'm nots sure I'd use the word "lean" to describe the RCA's.

Chris Amott likes this.
  25. Jay805

Jay805 Member

Thanks for the heads up, Mangler. Got them for $370! Now to to make the cables to go to the tops of the 805s. And get the EML-300b xls.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Ontheone and Strat-Mangler like this.