New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

On the LM-218, where the circuit goes: 12ax7->6L6GC->845 I don't see why you couldn't tap into the circuit after the 12ax7 and before the 6L6GC?

2. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Yep. I have the 845 Premium amongst my dozen or so current amps in stock. You could have simply checked the Profile page to see it was listed before pointing your finger and looking foolish.

SlawDawg likes this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Not foolish to ask a question but thanks for your concern.

4. Kufel

Kufel New Member

[QUOTE = "Ontheone, post: 26889462, członek: 101038"] Prawdopodobnie masz rację. Spróbuj podnieść ziemię na przedwzmacniaczu za pomocą HumX. Miałem ten sam problem w swoim systemie i to wyeliminowało szum. [/ QUOTE]

Thanks, but I think I'll let it go. A dozen or so days ago I bought the 508 and so far I'm having fun with replacing the lamps.
    So far I have tried 6f8g Sylvania and 6f8g KEN RAD. I will get 6sl7 KEN RAD in a few days.
    I already know for sure that they will be with me for longer 6f8g. They sound better than the previously tested 6sn7 JAN CRC RCA with gray glass.

5. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

Exactly that.

The smaller tube are there to get enough gain to drive the larger power tube. Eg. to drive the 300B in the 508IA, you need around 150V peak to peak. How do we get that much swing from a 4V peak to peak signal from the DAC? We need the 2 6SL7/6SN7 stages. Similarly for the 518IA, or any other tube power amplifier.

I don't know who started it, but it is misleading to call the smaller tubes "preamp tubes". Calling those smaller tube "preamp tube" give ppl the wrong impression that they are actually doing the job of a preamp. It is more appropriate to call them gain stage or driver tubes instead.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  6. Jay805

Jay805 Member

7. Jay805

Jay805 Member

@Billion$Baby

I was checking out the amps on your profile. Those are a lot of the ones I was researching when I was cross shopping. Is there one or two that stand out to you for being exceptional and/or a great value, etc? I would love to hear your take on how they sound/how they differ? If you have already done so I apologize in advance. Thanks

8. Strat-Mangler

Verify that they're an AUTHORIZED dealer. The warranty is void if not.

I checked a couple of times with them and they never have any stock. When asking for an ETA on some of the models I was interested in, I was given weeks and weeks of waiting time. I ordered from elsewhere.

9. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

RAM Labs/Music Reference is an authorized dealer. See EML's link here of authorized dealers: Point of sales for Emission Labs Products.

This is who I ordered my EML 300B-XLS tubes from last year. The tubes came very quickly and I registered the warranty right away with EML. The tubes have worked flawlessly for over 6 months now since owning them. Anthony Chipelo has taken over the business since Roger's passing and he was very easy to work with.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

It has been a number of years since I tried ordering from them so perhaps they changed since then. I remember it being a rather frustrating experience as any tube I'd request would be met with a "we can order it; it'll take X number of weeks to get them in". Email replies were quick, though.

11. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Has anyone tried the GE 805s?

From time to time un pair appears at reasonable price on Ebay.

12. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

13. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Has anyone tried 6CG7/6FQ7 tubes in the 6SN7 slot of the LM-508/805 amps? Is it safe to do it?

I've read that they are electrically equivalent and 6CG7/6FQ7 can be found at very low prices, even Mullards. Also adapters are not expensive.

Am I missing something here? Am I talking nonsense?

14. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Hey guys.

I'm sorry to insist, but I would appreciate if anyone, with more knowledge than me, could share with us some opinions if 6CG7/6FQ7 tubes can be used in the 6SN7 slots in ours LM-508/805.

I found the specs sheets on Frank's electron Tube Data sheets (RCA specs sheets) for 6SN7, 6CG7 and 6F8G tubes and all of them share the same characteristics (as long as we use the adaptors):

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/049/6/6SN7GTA.pdf

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/049/6/6F8G.pdf

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/191/6/6FQ7.pdf

The thing is that good 6SN7 and 6F8G tubes are getting pretty expensive, but 6CG7 are cheap (around $10 to $30 top plus adaptor). Maybe we could find very good tubes at a bargain price. Personally, I'm willing to risk about $60 to try at least one pair of 6CG7 RCA clear tops (wich are supposed to be one of the best), but I wouldn't want to risk the amp.

Please join. We could all benefit.

15. Strat-Mangler

His phone # is in that ad, no?

16. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

I'm not sure. I have it in my phone contacts. Is +971 50 934 0445. Saleh Munir is his name and he lives in Dubai.

17. Strat-Mangler

That's the # in the ad if you look. :D

Pedro Guillemain likes this.
  18. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Shortly after getting my LM805ia last year I was totally onboard with trying various tubes. Now I'm just so satisfied with the tubes in my amp that I have no appetite for experimenting any longer until my Tung Sol 6SN7GT Round Plates die...perhaps thousands of hours from now. And yes, the tube is getting really expensive.

james likes this.
  19. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

I'm also very happy the way my LM sounds with my currently tubes, but I'm open to try some recomended alternatives on other Internet sites, even more if they are cheap. Some classic tubes have crazy price tags like Tungsols BGRP 6SN7 and 6F8G or Mullards.

I believe there are very good alternatives at fair prices and I want to try some, but my greatest concern is not damaging the amp; that's why I'm asking for technical opinions from those with more knowledge on the field.

20. Stoner123

Stoner123 Member

Hi folks, I need your help. I have got a strange problem with the remote function of my LM 508. After about 1-2 hours I switched on the amp, the remote function stops working. Sometimes it doesn't work at all - even directly after having switched the amp on. Strange behaviour. And yes, I have already change the Batterie of the remote unit. It seems to be something wrong with the remote receiver within the LM 508. BTW I can always change the volume manually.
    Any experiences or ideas to solve my remote problem?
    Thx in advance for your help.

21. Chris Amott

Chris Amott Forum Resident

Do you have a good dealer and/or warranty?

22. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

Yes, the remote is a little crappy. Give it a hard shake and check again, it worked on mine. Think there is a poor connection between power and the circuit board.

23. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

I know this is about two months old. The likely problem are the connectors on the sockets for the 300B tubes. At least, this was my case. Hint: If you are noticing the meters do not stay stable when biasing, then it is mostly the case.

WARNING: PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL!!! Let the amp discharge of any current after switching it off. There are many discussions on the net, some said 15-30 mins while others 1-3 hours. For me, I left it unplugged overnight.
    IF YOU CHOOSE TO PROCEED, YOU TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTION.

This is what I did. I used an angled tweezers and increased the tension of the connectors through the holes by bending the connectors, it was a 10 minutes job. Good luck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Devg likes this.
  24. maxemil

maxemil Active Member

After having experimented pretty thoroughly for 6 months with the 6SN7 and 6Sl7 positions ( EH, Fotons, TJ Full Music, RCA, Sylvania, Melz) I am happy with my current set-up. I am running my LM508ia with an Amari LP-16 TT and a Hana SL cart, EAR 834 (clone) and a EAR MC4 SUT. Speakers are Audes Maestro 146.
    Now I think it is time to focus on the power tubes. Since I live in China I am predetermined to go with Psvane ACME or/and Linlai Elite.

My question: can anyone comment on using all 805's and 300B's from one manufacturer or could it make sense to mix them?

25. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Wich 6SN7 and 6SL7 did you prefer the most?