New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

It does, even having bought the VAC used!

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

In Canada, it's the same as your country. Import taxes, duty fees, currency is low, etc. Payments can be done via PayPal almost everywhere so that isn't an issue. I also overpay for tubes as well as everything else but that's the reality. If I get a 20$ low-end tube in my country, that's 20$ I'll never see again for a tube that won't sound great... so what's the point? I'd rather take that 20$ and put it toward a high-quality tube like the ECC32, ECC33, or ECC35.

We merely have different philosophies. The LM amp sings with the best tubes and it really is enhanced to a ridiculous degree with the best tubes available. Sure, it's expensive but when it sounds this good, there's no going back to the cheap low-end stuff. My 2 cents, before tax. :D

3. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Well, who knows, maybe one thay I will decide to buy an expensive ECC35 Mullard... :D

tlowe likes this.
  4. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

I have the Audio-GD Master 1 preamp and it also makes a difference, mostly on refinement and soundstage layering. It's a great amp for the money and the version with AC Regeneration (HE-1) has rave reviews like this one:

AUDIO-gd HE-1 STEREO PREAMPLIFIER REVIEW - HomeTheaterHifi.com .

And it costs less than 2 grand + shipping + taxes. Not that much.

5. Chris Amott

Chris Amott Forum Resident

Pretext - I am now a fully digital/streaming guy, so this is maybe irrelevant/anathema to some on here ...

As per previous discussions on this thread, many have said that the volume pot/control on the LM805 is a weak link, and that bypassing it via a separate pre-amp can improve the sound, though it seems to depend on the pre-map and gain matching, etc. I have done measurements of the channel output on the LM805 and it's clear that the volume pot has significant channel drift on the order of 1 - 2 db's at lower volumes and likely other negative sound artifacts. Does a separate pre-amp sound better simply because it's bypassing the volume-control on the LM or because it's adding another stage of tube gain?? Maybe both?

So I haven't tried using a dedicated pre-amp yet but what I am currently experimenting with is using digital volume control with Roon/HQPlayer into a Holo May dac and then directly into the pre-in on the LM805. This is only really viable with the right DAC that has low enough noise floor to allow for digital attenuation, low impedance matching against the amp, and an amp that doesn't run too hot (ie. too much gain). The goal being to have volume control playing at the top end of the db range. So again, a lot of conditions are required for this to work effectively.

But in this case it works - the Holo May has an insane SNR of 120-140 db's, very low output impedance, and the bonus is that the LM pre-in has a 10db attenuation built-in. With no source music playing the Holo May directly into the pre-in is completely silent. This was something that was simply not possible with my Lampizator DAC - the noise floor from the DAC resulted in loud hiss.
    I am already doing some room correcting DSP and upsampling which requires headroom/attenuation so throwing in another 5 - 15 db's of volume control is not a big deal. i.e. chopping off 20 db's from the 120+ signal still results in a dynamic range > 100db which is frankly more than the LM amps do anyways.

It works well, and to my ears this sounds cleaner and better than using the regular line-in and LM volume control. (Also, at a functional level, I am able to use the DAC's remote volume control to send signals upstream to HQPlayer). At some point I definitely need to try a dedicated analog volume control and see how that sounds but this has been an interesting and fun experiment. Maybe it seems weird to be doing heavy digital processing on one side and then use a SET amp on the other but I like to think that I am getting the best out of both worlds.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    olson, Ontheone, tlowe and 1 other person like this.
  6. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

Still 15% on almost everything in Toronto?

7. Strat-Mangler

13%. 15% is in Quebec, the next province over. Even worse. :sigh:

tlowe likes this.
  8. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Well we pay from 35 to 50% here....

9. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

hey...so it has dropped, I remember it is used to be 7% GST plus 8% PST...:(
    They tax you to death in Canada...:sweating:

10. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

OMG!!!
    So in Argentina, they want you dead...:eek:

11. Chris Amott

I am Canadian and now live in the states .... not sure where we'll end up in the future but there is no doubt that it's great to be a consumer in the USA ...

12. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Yes, you have no idea. And now Paypal is forbiden, so I struggle to send money abroad. The worst thing is that the economy sucks and the currency devaluates all the time. A freaking nightmare.

Totally!!!

13. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Well, considering how hard is to get good gear at fair price in my country and considering I've heard a few SOTA systems that left me wanting more, systems that costs more than five times mine and don't sound near as good, I believe we can make a VERY good system at not a stratospheric price if we select well the parts and voice them properly. There are hiden gems in this audio world and some famous brands and products are overrated.

Another thing is that here, in Argentina, audio in general and valves in particular are not that popular, so there are some NOS valves on the market that don't get exported and are offered here at cheap prices. I'm talking about well praised valves among audiophiles, not only garbage. So, it's easier, cheaper and faster for me to try several, also highly reputed, valves here vs buying one famous abroad to finally don't be satisfied.

Nevertheless, little by little you are convincing me to get a Mullar ECC35. :D If I buy it, it better be THE best tube in the world! :laugh:

By the way. Just curious. For those who loved the Mullard ECC35, wich kind of speakers do you have? High sensitive speakers? Mine are pretty good in general, but not high sensitive (90 Db).

14. Chris Amott

I lived in BA for 6 months a decade ago, currency was devaluating even back then. The price of a bife de chorizo changed on a weekly basis! The incessant inflation in Argentina is brutal - must be so tough. I didn't know that PayPal was blocked there - that must make it extremely difficult to buy tubes ...

15. Strat-Mangler

If you count the currency and duty fees, we're at about 25%-35% depending on a few factors.

Harbeth C7ES3. All in my profile. :)

Pedro Guillemain likes this.
  16. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Well, buying tubes and everything is complicated. Now I'm using Western Union, but I'm lucky as I bought the most expensive parts of my system before as these last couple of years, with populism on power is getting harder. I don't know where we will be next years. It's very sad. It's a great country and we have been one of the most rich 100 years ago. We have corruption everywhere and from always.

17. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

Just a thought, if you decided to buy ECC35 from Ebay, try to shop for a relabeled brand like Philips (with Blackburn code) or have the print almost gone except the etched code. Just make sure it has not been heavily used and still has strong measurement on the plates. This will save you quite an amount of money. I have scored a very lightly used Blackburn made slim brown base ECC35 with the print 95% gone for US$100. IMO, this is the best buy so far since I started my collection.

18. Chris Amott

Easier said than done ... here is a classic example right now ... PHILIPS MULLARD ECC35 6SL7 OLD STOCK D GETTER NOS TESTING VINTAGE VALVE | eBay . Philips/Miniwatt branded, all print rubbed off, no date codes, and tests 80/80 on Hickck TV-7 ... and he still wants $225.

tlowe and Pedro Guillemain like this.
  19. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

Lol...yeah, I know this listing. It has been a while now, definitely cant sell. Btw, dont forget there is a burned mark on the side.

Anyway, dont be afraid to make your own offer in Ebay. I always negotiate on the price if it is too high and I really want that tube. Generally, sellers will take your offer to make sales unless you are way off..:D

...and of course, patient plays a big part

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  20. Strat-Mangler

Why would anyone want that tube? Works at about 80%, cosmetic damage, burn marks, and no lettering, yet still $225?

Don't do drugs, kids! :D

Pedro Guillemain and tlowe like this.
  21. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

what are you talking about? I thought we are all doing tube drug for a while now...:laughup:
    not to mention you are a level up, have bought a pair of ECC32$$$:laugh:

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  22. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

audio can be as addicting as drugs ;)

23. islander777

islander777 Member

Chris, just yesterday I’ve tried to use my Exogal Comet Dac as a pre-amp, to bypass the volume-control of LM. Can confirm that the sound is noticeably better this way.
    Had to return to use LM volume though, because the remote on my DAC is a nightmare to use, while I really LOVE remote of LM805. That case, when convenience won over sound quality :)

p.s. ecc35 Mullards are heading my way, will let you know once they are in my hands.

Strat-Mangler, tlowe and Chris Amott like this.
  24. Chris Amott

Interesting. From a quick search it looks like the Exogal Comet has a 32-bit digital volume control, not analog/tube, so the difference was due to removing the LM volume control, not adding anything.

25. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

Congrats, hope you are going to enjoy it.

Strat-Mangler likes this.