New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. Chris Amott

Chris Amott Forum Resident

Yep but that tube seller is generally overpriced and that’s as much as I paid for the original pair! But I might overlook that and suck it up … ;)

2. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

Hi Chris, how would you describe the major sonic differences between RCA 805, United 838, GE 838 and ACME 805? Is it really worth the hassle to go for NOS 805 especially on the warranty issue? Have been looking at NOS 805 or 838 for months but really hesitate to pull the trigger. BTW, I have noticed on the original boxes of these NOS 805/838 stating something like 1000 hrs or 50 hrs service, what do that mean? Generally, what is the life span of these tubes? Sorry for so many questions, hope you can enlighten me. Thanks!!!

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Not overpriced at all! In fact, it's the cheapest RCA 805 tube online at the moment.

4. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

@tlowe I've only compared the RCA 805 with the ACME 805 but they sound very different. RCA is much cleaner, forward sounding and "faster"/articulate sounding - somewhat punchy. The ACME is a bit silkier with more bass extension and soft but detailed highs - overall a warmer tube with a rounded sound but far from dull. It still has plenty of finesse and detail but is less "in your face". I actually prefer the ACME as it's more musical to me.

tlowe likes this.
  5. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

Thank you so much for the info. I guess I would prefer ACME then, can I say very relaxing n pleasant to listen to? Have been enjoying my ACME 805, matched very well with KR300B n Mullard ECC35 for 3 months now. I guess I wouldnt miss anything by not going with NOS 805/838.

6. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Well, the LM-508 is already not a laid back and soft amp, but a dinamic and can be a little bright one, mostly with stock or wrong tubes.

But with the right tubes, it really shines!

I'm very pleased with my ACMEs 805. I like so much that I have an extra pair.

By the way, I've been trying some 6CG7 tubes on the 6SN7 slot (with adapter) and WOW. RCAs clear top are amazing... smooth, detailed, full bodied, holographic. .. just beautiful. And very inexpensive. Incredible price to perfomance ratio.

Another fellow audiophile in this forum, with many more tubes experience than me, is testing several 6CG7 and I think he will post his impressions in the next few weeks. So far, he is also amazed by some these little tubes.

tlowe likes this.
  7. Chris Amott

What decade/era of the RCA 6CG7's have you been trying? I see there are a range of years and plate styles available ...

I have also been wondering about Brimar CV1988's in the 6SN7 slots. Some people think they are better than ECC32/33's and TS BGRP's ... but they are hard to come by and $$$$.

8. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Well, I found on Internet some threads of people prasing the 6CG7 tubes as a replacement for 6SN7 ones and a lot of them liked a lot the RCA 6CG7 clear top.

Then I found them offered here (in my country) at dirt cheap prices, about $10/20 a pair, so I decided to buy the adaptors and give them a try. That's how I got to them and to be honest, I have no idea about the year. In fact, the RCA sold here are made in Brazil, under RCA USA licence. Some people say they are the same, some others not. But to me, these brazilian RCA sound "incredible".

I've been looking at the boxes and I don't see any dates, only codes, and, as they are from Brazil, I don't think these codes will match the ones in the USA.

I've also tried a pair of Toshibas 6CG7 short plate, made in Japan, and they don't sound as good as the RCA. I mean, they are nice tubes for the money, but the RCAs are a steal! Also some people praise a lot RCA and Raytheon black plates, but they are a more expensive on ebay (about $80 for a pair) and I can't find them here.

Edit: as I said, another fellow in this thread has bought several 6CG7 tubes so he will be able to give us very good info in the next days.

tlowe likes this.
  9. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

I'm curious how these RCAs clear top would compared to more famous and much expensive rivals, for the same position/slot, like Mullards, TS BGRP, Sylvania Bad Boys, etc.

These RCAs are noticeably better than my previous favorites, the Sylvania VT-99, wich were also liked by some other members on this thread. The Syls sound dry, thin and lifeless in comparison.

tlowe likes this.
  10. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

Update on the tube tester.
    Speechless...it is of high quality; great workmanship!!! I can see that the seller is a perfectionist. It is made like a luxury brand gift box :biglaugh: Everything is great except one thing that could be better. It is the top panel, a bit flimsy when putting on or removing tubes.
    It works very well; have compared with couple of tubes, which bought recently, with readings from other sellers. They are super close, within 1-3%!!! Amazing as those tube vendors are using professional or military testers. Highly recommended!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

How would an amp like this fare driving a pair of Vandersteen 5as?

12. Chris Amott

ok, need to vent ...

So after one my RCA 805's died, I went back to my stock factory Psvane 805's and, surprisingly, I enjoyed the fuller sound in many ways. Previously I had bought a pair of ACME 805's but one of them arrived with broken ceramic inside and the pair was replaced. The new pair worked well but I decided to resell them after comparing to
    the the RCA 805's. both had different strengths. However, my setup has changed a fair bit since that time, so I thought what the heck, given that I like the stock tubes in some ways, I'll order another pair of ACME's again after asking for a repeat discount from seller. So ... they arrived today and one of them will not bias past 30mA. Started at 120mA when I first turned the amp on and it started slowly trickling down to 30mA. This is now the second pair of ACME 805's that has a problem. And now I will have to get this pair replaced. But what absolute piss poor QC at Psvane factory. Absolute s**t garbage. No wonder Rachel@Grant Fidelity switched to Linlai.

It's enough to want to make me dump my tube amp and try the new GaN class D amps that everyone is raving about .... grrrr.

13. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

May I ask where did you buy your ACME 805 from?

14. Chris Amott

hifi-amplifiers.com. I don't think this has anything to do with the reseller - they are just sending a box/package they got from the Psvane factory. And many others have bought from them, on this forum and elsewhere. They have good prices, are responsive and have provided replacements to myself and others when there was an issue. Granted, they likely aren't doing any QC checks themselves on the pieces they get from Psvane, or elsewhere, but not sure anyone else would do so either (other than Grant Fidelity). But maybe I am wrong on this.

tlowe likes this.
  15. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

I've got also a broken ACME 805 on my first pair, but after replacement, they are still working strong without issue.

I don't like class D amps, at least the ones I've tried. If this new GaN tech is ever close to a good class A amp, I will buy one, but I really doubt that.

If you buy one, I'm anxious to read your comments.

Tubes wear out, are expensive, produce too much heat, but man they sound soooo beautiful!

16. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

@Chris Amott I'm starting to feel a little guilty that I have your old ACME 805's which fortunately are not duds! I've had zero urge to swap my RCA's back in. Sorry you're running into some QC issues.

17. Chris Amott

Don't. I decided to sell them. I am really frustrated but it is what it is ... you win some, you lose some. Hopefully I will get a replacement pair in a couple of weeks.

18. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

Or dump amplifiers altogether and go with active speakers. Line level active crossover with tri-amping sonetimes makes miracles.

19. Devg

Devg Member

Try the Linlai. I bought a pair of 6SN7 and currently using it in the Lampi DAC but they really sound very good both in the Lampi and 805.

I, too, am intrigued by the GaN amps but my speakers doesn't need much power, nor does it requires the power of 805 but I bought it at a great deal.

20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

After seeing that description, the RCAs are definitely the tubes for me. My system has all the warmth laid-back musicality it can handle. The ACME would be too much of a good thing and the RCAs are nicely complimenting my setup. No wonder why I like them.

21. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

6CG7 / 6FQ7 / ECC804

1.. 6CG7 - Early version with shield (direct substitute for 6SN7 with adapter)
    2. 6FQ7 - Later version without shield (direct substitute for 6SN7 with adapter)
    3. ECC804 - Described as the European version of 6CG7 on steroids (Note: All ECC804 are made by Brimar and NOT electrically same as 6CG7, use at own risk)

For the past 2 weeks, I have been researching and rolling some of these tubes. Thought I would share it here on what I have found. Please note that this is just a general introduction as I have noticed these tubes are way more confusing than say 6SN7. According to various sources, these tubes have been massively relabeled between brands or manufacturers during the booming TV era. To make things worse, the print on the glass can be easily rubbed off compared to 6SN7, which is easier to preserve as prints can be on the side or top of the glass, or on the base. Not to mention, there are also various versions from each manufacturer. Below are the breakdowns of the construction in general:

Plate:
    1. Long or Short Flat
    2. Round
    3. Long or Short Box
    *** Black plate earlier, grey plate later.

Getter:
    1. Pan
    2. D / Horseshoe
    3. Halo
    *** Pan earlier ---> Halo later

Tubes Rolled:
    1. Raytheon (Blk Long Flat)
    2. RCA (Grey Long Flat)
    3. CBS/Hytron (Blk Round)
    4. Toshiba (Grey Long Flat)
    5. Toshiba (Grey Short Box)
    6. Hitachi (Blk Long Flat)
    7. Hitachi (Grey Long Flat)
    8. Matsushita (Grey Short Box)
    9. Mitsubishi (Grey Long Flat)
    10. Brimar ECC804 (Blk Short Flat)

My apology if you think that I would be talking about sonic character of each in details. I feel that it would be more constructive if I would to put it in a more general way, so as not to have any biased opinions I have.
    In general,
    1. black flat plate has the best sound
    2. grey flat plate is very close or as good as blk flat plate
    3. long flat plate has better soundstage and more liquid than short box plate

Special Note:
    1. CBS/Hytron (Blk Round) - fast, dark sounding, dry and dull
    2. Brimar ECC804 (Blk Short Flat) - poor high and mid, extensive heavy bass, unbalanced, dry (based on my setup, said to be extremely setup dependent)

[​IMG]

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  22. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

I,ve also tried some 6CG7 tubes, not even close as Tony did :D, he is a tube master, but I liked the RCA clear top glass A LOT.

I bought them here because they were dirt cheap (brazilian made.... yes brazilian), about $20 a pair. I'm amazed about the sound of this little guys (so little that I had no expectations on them so I delayed the test a few weeks).

RCA clear tops are liquid, smooth, bass strong and with amazing 3D image. A bought another pair for spare. I love them. My favourites by now.

I've also tried Toshibas, but they were not as good. A little bit drier.

23. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

The Toshiba you have tried is the short box plate (Toshiba 6FQ7), try the long flat plate (Toshiba 6CG7).
    In general, long flat plate either blk or grey, are all good. Long flat plate has better soundstage and more liquid than short box plate. Blk long flat has slight stronger and tighter bass compared to grey long flat. Below is the Toshiba 6CG7 with long flat plate
    [​IMG]

Toshiba 6FQ7 (short box plate)
    [​IMG]

Raytheon 6CG7 (blk long flat) & RCA 6CG7 (grey long flat)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  24. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Thanks Tony!

I will search for them in here to see if I can find some as they are dirt cheap.

If I can't find them, I will seek for a pair of Raytheons BP or RCA GP next month as I squeezed my budget buying a new preamp for the LM-508. I have bought the Audio-GD HE-1 to replace my Audio-GD Master 1.

The HE-1 is considered a top notch preamp regardless price in this review (AUDIO-gd HE-1 STEREO PREAMPLIFIER REVIEW - HomeTheaterHifi.com ). Already my Master 1 made the LM-508 smoother and more refined. I can't wait to test the HE-1. I love Audio-GD products. They are incredible for the price.

tlowe likes this.
  25. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

IMO, look for those Japanese brands long flat plates if possible, US brands have been hyped and overpriced.

Pedro Guillemain likes this.