New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

All preamp tubes followed by the 300B, then 805.

Haven't tried ring dampeners, no. Very little vibrations on my end. Thankfully. :)

2. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

I use the relative inexpensive RCA clear tops 6CG7 (with adapter). I prefer it over some others I've tried (Shuguangs Black Treasure CV181, National Union 6SN7 black glass, Sylvania 6F8G black bottle and a few more). The RCA is detailed, full bodied, sweet and very 3D.

On the 6SL7 slot I've tried some more tubes as they are cheaper and make a bigger impact. I've tried Mullard ECC35, Sylvania VT229, Sylvania 6SL7 WGTA brown bottle, Brimar, Ken-Rad, Melz, etc. My favourite is the Ken Rad 6C8G (D getter). It's very alive, 3D and engaging, without being bright, at least in my system. The synergize very well with the RCA.

3. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

I've tried some Herbies tube dampers and I liked the result on all the tubes, but the 6CG7 (used on the 6SN7 slot). On the 6CG7 they affected 3D imaging and life of the tubes. On the other hand, I use HAL-O III on the 805 as the HAL-O have metal contact on the tubes and the 805 tubes heat a LOT. I've been using them for months without a problem.

I guess I could try taking them out to see if I can confirm my impressions, but it was pretty clear when I tried them.

Paxpax likes this.
  4. vsrrr

vsrrr New Member

Hello all. This is my first post here.
    I am looking for an amplifier to match with my Nola KO speakers, which are 91db efficient and 8ohms nominal (but dip to 4ohms).
    I am very interested in the LM-805ia, as I am still haunted by the LM-518ia I heard 5 years ago and have always wanted to reproduce similar sound in my home. I figure the more powerful 805/508 will be a better choice for me than the 845/518.

My big question for the group (and please forgive me for it!) is:
    Do you think the 508/805ia will work with my speakers? Or is it not good to pair an SET amplifier with an impedance curve such as mine?

It would be really interesting to hear what speakers everyone is using with their LM 508/805!

Lastly, I've been taking notes on the peoples' experience with tube-rolling the amplifier, and have summed them up here for anyone interested.
    Anyone please correct me if I've mischaracterized.

1. Psavne Acme 805 (740$ and a big upgrade in bass and transparency) Cossor are a cheaper option for improving from the stock tubes, but not as good as Acme.
    2. 1944 Sylvania vt231 to replace __(which stock tube)___?
    3. Psvane Acme 300B (tight bass, wider soundstage, extra detail)
    4. NOS Mullard ECC35 to replace the 6SL7 ($125) particularly useful if your speakers are sounding bright, brings more 3D imaging and air. Another good option is Sylvania Bad Boys, followed by Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY is a cheaper option. It would be good to learn more about differences here.

5. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

I use my LM-508 with the Q Acoustics Concept 500 Floorstanders wich are 90 dB sensitive and have a 6 ohm impedance average and 3.8 ohm dips without a problem.

I like very very much the combination, but you must remember this is a hobby where personal taste is everything. I listen from low to medium volume levels. I rarely crank it up, but even then I don´t feel I'm missing something. I don't enjoy music at loud volumes for long time as not only my ears are not comfortable, but also the room modes get over excited and distortion is bigger.

I'm very sensitive also to harshness in sound, so I tend to prefer neutral with a little warm touch on everything (amps, DACs, etc). I also prefer very good 3D, tone and body over dynamics. I'm not saying that the LM508 lacks it, in fact it's pretty alive, but I guess there are faster SS amps. What I mean is that I prefer it's tube benefits over maybe a "little" more dynamic sound.

Also, when I decided to buy it, I was tempted with the LM 518, but everyone I read on Internet, who has heard both, prefered the Lm508. With good tubes, it's a very nice amp.

Regarding tubes, I also have the ACMEs 805 and they are full bodied, 3D and with a touch of warmth. ACMEs 300B I believe are similar sounding (I haven't tried them). Considering this, I would recomend a more alive tube on the 6SL7 slot. I've tried several on that slot, including the Mullard ECC35, Melz, Brimar, Sylvania, etc, and I prefered by far the KenRad 6C8G VT163 "D getter" with adapter. It's a very good tube, for my taste, very alive, 3D, detailed and smooth at the same time. Also on the 6SN7 slots I liked the best the RCA 6CG7 clear tops with adapters, but I haven't tried many tubes in there.

Other members like @tlowe can advice you more on preamp tubes as they have tried several.

6. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Hi guys,
    I'm selling one EML 300B XLS tube that works fine, it's new (with less than 15 hs of use), at $300 plus shipping (wich should be about $20 worldwide).

If anyone is interested, can send me a PM.

7. Paxpax

Paxpax Member

I use the 508ia with a pair of spatial audio M3 turbo s. These speakers have a difficult impedance load, so much so spatial later released a triode friendly version with a different cross over. I had problem driving them with my 300b amp so I got the 508 and it has no problem driving them at all, in fact it has fuller bass then icepower 1200as...

On the other hand from what I read around the 845 may have a more defined and livelier sound then the 805 tubes and still power may be enough? With the spatial given at 94db I never go past 12 with volume it can play so loud. The feedback setting also I think will help tame hard loads, it sacrifices raw volume and liveliness but definitely linearizes things, I've mine on step 2 most of the time, step 1 if the record is not offensive or I'm drunk...

I had love to hear the 845 as it may be the more refined tube, but I never did so it's just speculation. And as for driving power I don't think one can beat the 805.

8. MuddyBill

MuddyBill Active Member

I'm looking to upgrade my stock 805 tubes and I had been leaning towards a set of ACME 805's but I'm curious if anybody has tried out the LinLai 805's. I found a couple of positive reviews out there and I'm curious if to find if anybody has actually had a chance to compare the two.

9. Strat-Mangler

You can a search in the thread. There's this post, for example.

New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

10. MuddyBill

MuddyBill Active Member

Thanks for that @Strat-Mangler I did a search, but I was obviously sloppy and missed that bit. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, t was helpful!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  11. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

It is safer to buy Acme 805 which lasted 5k hous with no problem.

It is also nice to get vintage 805 but hard to get nowadays.

I had got 15 pairs of vintage 805 3 years ago.

Sonicallly, Acme 805 is good match with RCA vintage 805.

12. MuddyBill

MuddyBill Active Member

Thanks @thomaskong I pulled the trigger on a pair of ACME 805's. Can't wait to get them!

Ontheone likes this.
  13. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I think you will be very happy with the ACME 805's. I have them as well as 60's or 70's vintage RCA's (not sure exactly what year they are) and I like the ACME's better overall. The ACME's provide better bass and texture while the RCA's have more punch & slam, handling fast/complicated passages with a bit more finesse and agility. For the jazz I mainly listen to the ACME's have better synergy.

MuddyBill likes this.
  14. Chris Amott

Chris Amott Forum Resident

Speaking of the RCA &05’s, if anyone has an extra single or pair of the earlier VT-143’s that they want to get rid of please PM me. I had a pair but one of them died.

15. MuddyBill

MuddyBill Active Member

Thanks @Ontheone. Now for the hard part—watching the mail

paul dreher likes this.
  16. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

Pick your poison, ladies and gentlemen...

Mullard ECC33 + Tung-Sol 6C8G
    [​IMG]

Marconi H63 + Mullard EL32/VT52
    [​IMG]

Brimar 13D9 + Mullard CV6
    [​IMG]

Brimar 13D9 + Philips ECC40
    [​IMG]

Brimar 13D9 + Raytheon 6CG7
    [​IMG]

17. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

Brimar 13D9 + Mullard ECC31
    [​IMG]

Brimar 13D9 + Brimar ECC804
    [​IMG]

Brimar 13D9 + Marconi MHLD6
    [​IMG]

Mullard ECC35 + Marconi MHLD6
    [​IMG]

Marconi DH63 + Mullard ECC31
    [​IMG]

18. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

Mullard ECC35 + Philips E80CC
    [​IMG]

Brimar 13D9 + Mullard ECC34
    [​IMG]

Mullard ECC35 + Mullard EL32/CV1052
    [​IMG]

19. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Hi Tony
    Great work! Congrats!

Wich combination did you like the most?

Do you still use the original Line Magnetic 300B?

Cheers

20. Strat-Mangler

@tlowe Which Mullard did you like the most in the 6SN7 slot?

Did you try a Mullard ECC32 in the 6SL7 slot?

21. CarmineRed

CarmineRed I promise I'm very nice in person

Anybody know what 300B tubes these are?

I'm guessing they are the stock LM tubes but there are no numbers or logos on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

Yes, after using a pair of KR 300B for some months, I have noticed that they dont really contribute much to the sound tuning as much as the signal tubes. Will keep them for another 300B SET amp. Well, cant say which one is my favorites as they all sound great with different presentation.

23. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

I like all of them, just different presentation. No, I am not going to spend that money on a ECC32...LOL
    Would rather spend the money on exploring different tubes, it is more fun and fruitful.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  24. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

They are made by PSVANE.

CarmineRed likes this.
  25. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

I've had a bad experience with EML 300B XLS. One of the tubes failed after a very few hours and factory blamed the amp as it had, on the 300B slots, a little bit lower heater voltage than the minimum recomended by them (4.6V vs 4.75V). Every expert I consulted, from amp designers, valve sellers and technicians have told me that that voltage won't damage the tubes at all. Now I have only one working tube and I won't buy a replacement one because for me the 5 year warranty the offer is smoke as I feel that they grab any excuse not to fulfill it. If anyone is interested on a spare EML 300B XLS tube, brand new, with a discount, send me a PM.

I also believe that the 300B tube makes the smallest difference on the LM-508. The EML tubes sounded "beautiful" on my amp, while I could try them, better than the Shuguangs 300B WE Replica. Now I'm using a pair of Golden Lion 300B and they also sound superb, also better than the Shuguangs, but maybe not as good as the EML, I don't know as I can't compare them side by side. I'm not sure I will be willing to spend again $1.000 on a pair of 300B as I believe there are cheaper ways to improve SQ at a fraction of the cost.

By the way, I recomend this to help with the details and image: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...00018004201217!sea&curPageLogUid=d5gcnhgWcVqB I use five of them under my LM508 with very good results. I would love to try stillpoints or similar "high end" antivibration solutions, but they are insanenly expensive as many other things on this hobby.

CarmineRed likes this.