New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. Paxpax

Paxpax Member

I was hoping more on a quick buy link :)

I see the point to try a pair of RCA but in my case I got the choice of the regular COSSOR 805 so it's not worth the time and the scare of working with such high voltage stuff.

2. Paxpax

Paxpax Member

Does anyone know if M type 805 have any advantage over regular no plate cap type?

3. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

Actually original RCA 805 tube had a plate cap. Equivalent tube without a plate cap was called 838. I am not sure why modern Chinese version without plate cup is labeled 805.

4. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Are the RCA 805's higher voltage than other 805 tubes?

5. Chris Amott

Chris Amott Forum Resident

Hi all,

After 3 years of wonderful listening, I have decided to move on from my LM-805ia. I have a pair of Psvane ACME 805's (~500 hrs) and a single RCA 805 + plate cap cables (~200 hrs) available. If interested please PM.

6. Kufel

Kufel New Member

Hey guys. Have you had 805 full music experience? (805SE, 805SL, 805D). How do they compare to Acme and RCA?

7. Ontheone

8. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

Ontheone likes this.
  9. Ontheone

Very helpful!!

10. Kufel

Kufel New Member

Where is he located?

11. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

I do not have any experience with 805 full music but some expereince wiht 300b full music.

It sound decent with overall balanced sound but dead after only after 2k hours.

Psavne Acme 300b lasted 10 k hours with much more nuanced details than full music 300b.

After the experience I do not bother to buy any full musc tubes.

But you never know whether they had improved or not.

jonwoody and Kufel like this.
  12. Kufel

Kufel New Member

In the meantime, I had the opportunity to compare the 300B full music mesh and the basic full music. Mesh has more details, because it plays more in the midrange. The difference is very clear.

13. MuddyBill

MuddyBill Active Member

Hi all,

I just recently had an unexpected opportunity to trade in my beloved LM 805 for an amp I've been eyeing for a while. It really was hard to part with...

Anyway, it's left me with a nice little collection of tubes, everything but 300b's. PM me if you would like to see the list.

On a side note, I'll miss checking in on this thread to hear everybody's insights (although, honestly I probably still will as I will always have a soft spot for the 805). Thanks to everybody that has posted their experiences and help on this thread!

Devg and Ontheone like this.
  14. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

What are you trading it in for?

Seafinch likes this.
  15. MuddyBill

MuddyBill Active Member

I ended up with a Riviera Levante. So, I didn't totally give up on tubes :)

IGD Positive and Ontheone like this.
  16. James Miroslaw

James Miroslaw Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] Can anyone tell me the difference between these two examples of ECC32s? The are about the same price for a pair. Is one pair (black or brown base) preferred over the other?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
  17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You linked the eBay auction as images. Because of this, the pics won't show.

This is how you'd need to do it. Look at the pic, right-click on it, select the function to copy the link of the image (not the auction) and then the pics will show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those are the very best tubes by far, in both 6SL7 and 6SN7 positions. I've had both and didn't detect a difference in sound at all.

Those are terrific prices, too! Jump on them ASAP! I would if I needed some.

18. James Miroslaw

James Miroslaw Member

Thank you sir for the response and recommendation. I am going to grab them right now!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

Remember you need all 3 (two 6SN7s and one 6SL7) for the very best sound. :)

Please let us know how you appreciate the sound afterward.

20. James Miroslaw

James Miroslaw Member

Got ya, will do, and thanks again!

21. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

I have 3 different pairs of CV181 / ECC32. 2 black bases, one with CV181 KB/A prints, the other one with Mullard, and one brown base with prints that's already worn out.

To use in the 508IA, I couldn't really tell much difference. It is used as a cathode follower anyway, so the effect might be less.

Using in a pre-amp in a more prominent amplifying stage, I found the black ones slightly warmer, and the brown ones slightly forward. I do know that the black base with KB/A print is NOS, but the other black base with Mullard print is pretty used. The brown is moderately used. I don't know whether the age has some factor. There is no way to tell.

Also notice the brown one has a slightly taller glass envelope.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  22. Strat-Mangler

Nice to see you again, bud. :)

Have you tried ECC32s in both 6SN7 slots *and* the 6SL7 slot? Best combination in my unit by a mile... which was unexpected.

23. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

Yes, but only during days when I feel particularly rich. ;)

24. Strat-Mangler

Any updates?

25. James Miroslaw

James Miroslaw Member

Have been crazy busy with work and gigs, but had a chance to do some serious listening over this past few days. I am more than impressed with this tube set in this amp - they are a game changer.

The space and detail around voice and instruments is amazing, while still spotlighting the whole cloth of the recording. I never expected this major of an upgrade. Examples:

On Steely Dan's "Aja" LP (MFSL), which I've listened to a billion times, this is the first time hearing the character of the ride tom and floor tom heads that Steve Gadd is pounding in the middle and end sections - they've always just been your basic thuds - but now have their own timbre and resonance. In "Deacon Blues", featuring one of Donald Fagen's few non-double-tracked vocals, his world weary rendering of this songs poignant lyrics come through much more emotionally, clearly, and humanly - again as never heard before on this level. I can also now easily follow the fabulous Tom Scott horn arrangements that surround the mix without it intruding on the song's presentation as a whole. This is a major strength of these tubes in this amp - detail without distraction.

Mary Chapin Carpenter's vocals in "Someone Else's Prayer" from "time*sex*love (SACD) are direct, emotional, nuanced, and she's right there in the room with you. The opening bass line surprises as it features actual fingers on strings. Not sure I've heard a bass part where the flat wound strings are so clearly being played by a human hand (in a pop song, at least). On the following track, "The Dreaming Road", you can hear the metronome going way in the background behind the acoustic guitar. The piano fills highlight the hammers hitting the strings with plenty of wood around them, and highlight the pianists subtle touches. The ascending "ahhs" in the middle instrumental part are set way in the back of the soundstage - depth is majorly improved overall. Tremendous!

Finally, check out Paul Simon's "She Moves On" from LP "Rhythm of the Saints". The dense percussion bed is spread out convincingly from wall to wall, yet with incredible detail and space around each percussion instrument, and for the first time in years of listening I was able to discern that in the non-verse portions of the song, the bass player is playing just OFF the beat (i.e., off the standard 1 count) creating a more exotic rhythm and tension in those parts. Sounds strange to have not noticed this before, but such is the expansion of space and detail in these tubes that again, you can hear into any aspect of the song's details without it ever being a distraction from hearing the whole effect of the song.

I could go on and on, but this has been by far the most impactful upgrade of any in my system, regardless of expense. I've had to drag myself away from my system every night to get some sleep.
    Thanks Strat-Mangler for this fantastic recommendation. Not cheap, but if you own this amp, you absolutely have to hear it with these Mullards - all 3 of them! - in place.

adamaley and Strat-Mangler like this.