New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

the sound of Tao said:
    I’ve been txting with a guy in Singapore who has just tried both the Acme 805s and Acme 300Bs on his Line Magnetic SET and horn setup. He has a lot of experience with valves and he seems really impressed.

His first impressions on the Acmes... that the tone was very right, they have a great expressive way of communicating the emotional content in music, the force of plucked instruments was easily discernible, vocals were vivid and expressive, bass was authoritative and controlled and the valves exhibited a low noise floor.

Very much looking forward to hearing about your experiences Kodomo with your new Acmes.

After driving both Acme 805 and 300B in Lm508 for 8 hours,

I concur with the quoted expression of Gentleman

tone was very right, they have a great expressive way of communicating the emotional content in music, the force of plucked instruments was easily discernible, vocals were vivid and expressive, bass was authoritative and controlled and the valves exhibited a low noise floor.

I could not conclude yet how good Acme 300B is compared with NOS WE300B.

But I am getting very favorable impression of it with LM 508 so far.

2. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

VC?

4. thomaskong

I update the effect of "Isoacoustics Orea Bordeaux" on LM508 from subtle to significant.

It turn out to have almost as much effect as Sygnergistic Blue power cable.

Isoacoustics Orea India(smaller model) also work well on my Lyngdorf 2170 making sound more organic with better transient.

5. thomaskong

After putting Isoacoustics Orea India(smaller model) under my Lyngdorf 2170, Russian vocal sound so natural.

<iframe width="721" height="577" src="One Million Roses (original russian version) - YouTube " frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Four audiophile will join at 12AM on 16th to listen to my system.

I will play mostly small vocal and lastly some orchestral music as finale.

Some of the guest will bring their own CD and I will also play them.

6. een

een Well-Known Member

Volume control methinks

7. thomaskong

"Kingrex" who listened to " I am so lonesome tonight" by Elvis in my listening room on Saturday, March 16th, mentioned as follows.

It was the best voice of "Elvis" that he had ever heard with nuanced details and spooky presence.

My system combining LM 508 SET amplifier and plasma tweeter is the best for any vocal music.

8. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I have just installed Brimar 6SL7GT from early 50's and switched the National Union JAN CNU 6SN7GT to a pair of Sylvania Chrome Tops. My LM508 sounds awesome now. The Chrome tops added more and deeper bottom end and warmth to the system without loosing details and the Brimar was a great partner to them. Will try replacing the Brimar with a TungSol VT231 of mine and see where it takes it. You really can change the sound a lot with these 6SN and 6SL tubes.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  9. thomaskong

My impression so far with Acme 300B in Line Magenetic 508 after 150 hours is very positive with nice clean details and transparent soundstage.

But I will travel to Korea for two weeks to take care of some urgent matter.

Thus I will be able to compare between Acme 300B and WE NOS 300b in Silbatone 300B SET amplifier only after April 2nd.

My impression so far is that WE 300B has tighter bass but Acme 300B has more forgiving but beautiful details.

Sometimes WE NOS 300B could sound hot with too much details in the treble, thus it need good cable matching.

10. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Where have you seen the 1-2h? In the manual it says

In order to protect the tubes please re-switch on the amplifier after turned off in two minutes.

11. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I have a slight transformer hum from time to time. I have found out that pushing the right transformer metal hood make 90% of it go away so something is vibrating and might need to be tightened. When I look at a picture of the inside of 219 it looks like the hoods are empty and transformers are on the inside of the amp housing and not inside the metal cubes? Or are there a pack of more transformers inside the metal hoods?

So if I remove the bottom plate of the 508 I will get access to tighten the transformers?

[​IMG]

12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Do you have experience working on these? There are lethal voltages stored in the transformers even after the unit is turned off.

13. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Friday mood :righton:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jmpsmash, gov, adamaley and 4 others like this.
  14. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

I'm getting more and more convinced that I need to own one of these.

15. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

Great pictures!

Echoes Myron likes this.
  16. abd1

abd1 Well-Known Member

I recently acquired one as an upgrade from a PrimaLuna Dialogue One. I love the PL but this is another level. I feel like I've completely fallen down the tube rabbit hole...

[​IMG]

JMAC, adamaley, Art K and 3 others like this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

Don't open it up. It'd void the warranty
    Have you played with the hum levels?

18. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

I had to remove one of my Acme 805 tubes today because it began to drift over the last couple of weeks. I had been using these tubes for roughly 3 full months. My ears became very accustomed to the sound of my amp through the tubes. I didn't realize just how much so until today when I pulled the acme tubes out to send back for replacement and installed the stock tubes in their place.
    My amp had been warming up for a solid two hours before I got around to actually playing an album (The War On Drugs, a deeper understanding). The difference in sound was simply jarring.
    In comparison to the Acme tubes, the sound is now thin, and spotlighted on upper midrange. Much less bass. It just sounds like crap in comparison. I never minded the stock tubes before. I only now am realizing just how much better the Acme Tubes are than the stock ones.
    Thankfully I ordered my tubes through Grant Fidelity who is nothing short of fantastic when it comes to customer service and honoring warranties and I'll have my replacement tube in no time.
    Grant Fidelity, and Sophia Electric are both stellar when it comes to dealing with tube issues rapidly.
    But I had been thinking how good my system has been sounding lately just a few days ago. The Acme 805s were truely playing a significant roll in the sweet sounding music coming from my speakers. I miss them already.

19. abd1

abd1 Well-Known Member

I know the ACME 805 tubes seem to great sounding, but what other good bang for the buck 805 tubes have you tried? I'm using stock 805 tubes right now and wondering about the TJ Full Music, Shuguang 805 A-T, or Psvane Cossar 805. Anyone have experience with these? Thanks.

20. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I have a pair of these waiting to be tested in my 508 compared to the originals.
    Psvane 805A-HIFI Series - HiFi Triodes, Transmitting Tubes

21. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

Best sounding 805 tube I've used was a TJ Full music tube, but it died quickly. I bought a pair on ebay. It's been a while since I had those tubes so maybe the Acme is better. Impossible to know without an A/B comparison. I just know it was a Thoriated Tungsten tube (I mention this because TJ Full Music also makes dull emitter tubes) that had 3 holes on each side of the carbon plates. Those tubes gave the 508 amp tremendous bass.

freesole likes this.
  22. thomaskong

Psvane Cossor 805 is very good for the price.

It is not as transparent as Acme but it is one notch above stock tube with refined treble and deeper bass.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  23. thomaskong

They provide one year warranty on Acme.

Thus it is worthwhile to try Acme 805 if you can afford it.

PSVANE Acme Serie 805 Vacuum Tube High-end tube Be

Acme 300B does not make as much difference as Acme 805 in LM508.

Thus Acme 805 is much better value in LM508.

24. Strat-Mangler

Sorry to hear that, buddy. Aside from the bass, what's the difference in SQ between the ACME and the stock tubes?

25. thomaskong

It is bad to hear that one of your Acme tube went bad after 3 months.

One of my Acme 805 went bad after 2 months, but dealer replaced it free of charge.

I also keep Psavne Cossor valve 805 just in case.

I found Psavne Cossor valve 805 to be notch above stock 805 tube with refined treble and deeper bass.

Also Acme 805 is a notch above Psavne Cossor valve 805 in transparency and more details.

It will be hard for me to go back to stock 805 tube.