New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

A note to anyone using the 508ia with Tekton DI 4 ohm speakers. When i first got the 508ia i was using the 4 ohm terminals and while it sounded good something was not quite right so i decided to try the 8 ohm terminals and to my surprise this changed everything for the better now the amp sounds beautiful and all is right.

2. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

This can be done without risk on this amp? I think I remember someone tried the opposite too and said the 4 ohms sounded better with their 8 ohm speaker. Never tried this on my 4 ohm speakers.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Ohms mismatching is something has been done forever in guitar-playing circles. As I mentioned to RH67 via PM, it's best to simply try them both and hear for yourself which one sounds best.

Some amps manufactured as being 8 ohms can actually hover around 4 most of the time, so the 4 ohm output would probably sound best. The opposite can occur as well.

Try it. In my experience, 8 ohms can inject some life in some 4 ohms speakers.

adamaley likes this.
  4. Cavaliero

Cavaliero Well-Known Member

I have just received my LM-508IA from China.
    I experienced a similar transformer humming (even rattling) which was described by some forum members. I decided to open the case and do some checks (I have some experience in servicing electronic devices).
    Almost instantly I discovered that one of the transformers (the one mounted at the bottom of the case) was loose. It is located on a wooden pad which is designed to dampen vibrations.
    After fastening the transformer the amp went totally silent, so I highly recommend to make similar checks for those who have similar problems.
    Please do not do it on your own though, if you don't know how to deal with such repairs (and potential residual high voltages on capacitors).

5. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

I am a proud owner of the LM-805IA thanks to @GoldprintAudio and it sounds incredible. I have absolutely no hum (either from the unit or through the speakers) so I'm happy about that. This thing is an absolute beast and sounds great already with my B&W CM9s. I can't wait to start experimenting with tube rolling after things settle in. I probably won't mess with the 300B or 805 tubes but I'm interesting in seeing what happens when I switch out the other tubes. If people have suggestions, I'm all ears.

6. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

I`m with you! This is one heck of an amp. I did change the 6SN7 tubes with real 1952 Bad Boy`s these refined the sound adding a more natural tone without taking away the drama and excitement that this amp can deliver.

7. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

Can members on here share what power conditioner they are using? I'm suspecting that my power conditioner may be limiting dynamics on certain tunes and feel it's long overdue an upgrade in that department. When I plug things directly into the wall the dynamics are present, but the sound is not as noiseless and delicate as it is when going through the conditioner (Running Springs Audio Haley).

8. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

adamaley likes this.
  9. MarkT

MarkT Active Member

[MOD: UNRELATED THREAD TOPIC TEXT REMOVED]

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2019
  10. Paopawdecarabao

Paopawdecarabao Forum Resident

Who is an authorized dealer of Line Magnetic online in US?

11. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

Venice Audio sells Line Magnetic. I have a 518ia and a 508ia that i bought from Venice audio, selling the 518ia.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  12. Paopawdecarabao

Paopawdecarabao Forum Resident

Pm me details of your 518ia.

13. Strat-Mangler

The OP is as well. I'd suggest contacting him.
    Kind of bad form to command others to PM you. PM him if you'd like to request something.

14. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I want to hear more about what made you come to that conclusion :)

15. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

Would love to keep both but money wise i cannot justify keeping both. Both are dynamic and revealing but the 508ia has a little more resolution, if i were not able to compare side by side i would not have known this. The 518ia on it`s own is a reference quality amp and i love the 845 tubes.

16. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident Thread Starter

There really are no online LM dealers in the US. All US LM dealers have to follow strict sales territories. Since it appears you are in CA, your best bet would be to contact Matt at Pitch Perfect Audio (he's a LM dealer in CA).

17. bugo403

bugo403 Well-Known Member

I'm using isol-8 substation. also, i did feel a boost in sound when moving to a dedicated line.

adamaley likes this.
  18. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

Rolled the Mullard ECC35 into the amp and as others have mentioned this is a great tube, it really digs deep into the music and really expands the 3D imaging and adds even more air around instruments. It makes a great amp even better.

thomaskong and Strat-Mangler like this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

Glad you're as happy as I am with mine. Now, about those 6SN7s... ;)

RH67 likes this.
  20. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Can you link me to this tube? I'm assuming it replaces the 6SL7?

21. Strat-Mangler

That's correct. It's a tremendous upgrade. They usually cost about $150 per tube but since you only need one, it's not so bad.

I've tried a number of 6SL7s and this one was the best for my tastes. Warm, lush, inviting, musical, organic, etc. If you have an overly warm pair of speakers, you might want to instead buy the Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY. Much cheaper with a more open sound an extended highs. I bought an NOS one not too long ago and can vouch it's a terrific tube but there was too much high-end extension for my tastes. If you have bright speakers, go for the Mullard ECC35. For those needing opening up, get the Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY.

thomaskong likes this.
  22. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

Per your recommendation i bought some original 1952 Bad Boy`s and i`m very happy with those a great match with the Mullard ECC35.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Glad to hear it. Funny how 3 tubes can make such an enormous difference, huh?

RH67 likes this.
  24. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

The nest turn is Psavne Acme 805.

After inserting Acme 805, the sound got one notch up.

25. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

Need to save up $$ those Acme 805`s cost some coin.