New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. Paopawdecarabao

Paopawdecarabao Forum Resident

What 300b tubes do you guys roll with the 805ia?

Tubes will be the ff:
    Sylvania input tubes (1 x 6SL7, 2 x 6SN7)
    PSvane Acme 805 for the Output tubes

displayname likes this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

What does "FF" mean?

There are many 300B tubes out there. Personally, I'm running a pair of EML 300B-XLS. Some have tried Elrog tubes and a variety of Chinese ones like Psvane or Sophia. There are a few reviews of those tubes in the thread. I suggest performing a search within the thread for "300B" and you'll find some comments of the different types and the level of success people have had.

I like the EMLs and don't believe I'd be able to get much better even after spending a few hundred dollars more.

Paopawdecarabao likes this.
  3. Paopawdecarabao

I just abbreviated following lol.

I see, I won’t be tube rolling for the first few
    months though but I snagged a pretty awesome deal from Audiogon a 805ia with the tubes I mentioned above.

What changes would a SET would give you compared to a push pull ultralinear amp?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

I had been happy with Psavne 805 and 300B tubes in my LM508 for 8 months.

The combo sounds transparent with nuanced details.

It drive Lansche 4.1 speakers.

I also use Chord Dave and Mscaler for Dac.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

Thomas is referring to the Acme series of Psvane tubes, which is their top of the line range. Not to be confused with their numerous other offerings of both 805 and 300b tubes.

6. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

You might want to try the new Audio Note 300b tubes that they designed and made in the PSVANE plant. I heard the new Meishu 300b with stock tubes and it was outstanding. Still people are pretty high on these new tubes. Worth looking into.

7. Paopawdecarabao

[​IMG]

Line Magnetic 805ia has been delivered. Unfortunately, I have one bad 300b tube. Waiting for replacement.

Just want to confirm that when I switched places the 300b tubes the sound coming from my speakers switches from left to right and vice versa. But no sound is coming from one speaker.

The sound is magical and a perfect match for my Klipsch Forte III even I am hearing it only from one speaker coming from a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum. Bass is full and it outputs so much power with just little volume. I am impresssed.

8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Beautiful.

Paopawdecarabao likes this.
  9. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Congrats! Sorry you have to deal w a bad tube right away. Hope you get the replacement soon.

I have a Cronus Magnum. Did yours overpower the Forte or did they handle it well?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  10. Paopawdecarabao

The CM handled the Forte’s well but there is that distinct sound from Line Magnetic that you can tell that is different from a push-pull amp and the bass is fuller and handles it with authority. Just from my super initial impression and tried it with only one speaker working.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  11. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

The LM line has long been on my wish list.

GoldprintAudio and Echoes Myron like this.
  12. Paopawdecarabao

Finally, after a few troubleshoot and swapping tubes. We are now listening. Phew!

S/O to @tie_breaker for an awesome deal and help. Thank you!

The glow and heat is real here!

It is giving me goosebumps right now while listening to Anette Askvik - Liberty.
    [​IMG]

13. tie_breaker

tie_breaker Well-Known Member

paopawdecarabao, I am so happy that you are enjoying the LM-805! It’s a great amp.

Paopawdecarabao and Echoes Myron like this.
  14. bilbs

bilbs Member

Hi All,

I am thinking about my first foray into a tube magic and the 508ia is on my shortlist.
    My speakers are Yamaha NS-2000's Yamaha NS-2000 on thevintageknob.org
    At 6ohm and 90db sensitivity they're not the hardest load to drive, but probably not the easiest either.

I don't need to listen at ear splitting levels, but would like to be able to crank it up a little bit from time to time when the whisky flows freely.
    I read somewhere that someone thought this amp had more grunt in comparison to their Cronus Magnum as 100w. So sounds like it should do the trick.

If anyone has any experience with this amp and speakers that aren't highly sensitive, would love to hear about the results.
    Thanks in advance

15. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

I just posted my thoughts in another thread but here they are copied.

Just because, I'll add my experience. I bought an LM-805IA back in May and I'm using it with some B&W CM9 (89db sensitivity) and they sound fantastic. To get to a more than reasonable listening volume in my room, I never have to turn it up more than a quarter of the way. Unless we're talking about a much bigger space, I can't imagine ever needing more power than I've currently got on tap.

16. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

My speakers are 90db, 6 Ohm nominal impedance just like yours. More than enough power on tap.

17. Paopawdecarabao

I can't get pass 8 o'clock position on my vol knob with my 805ia and it feels my small room. Speakers are 99db efficient

18. bilbs

bilbs Member

awesome, thanks guys, that answers my question then!

19. Bobl6061

Bobl6061 Member

Hi. Has anyone compared LM to audio note amplifiers? What about driving audio note an e speakers with LM?

20. Paopawdecarabao

You won’t be dissapointed. At 9 o’clock, volume knob is ear bleeding for me lol compared to my cronus magnum before which didn’t do that.

21. brody836

brody836 Member

Hello fellow 508ia owners. All the tube rolling info is much appreciated.

My latest tweak, Herbies giant glider speaker footers on Tekton DI's and GIK bass trap and panel room treatments yielded impressive results. 3-D soundstaging took a huge leap forward, bass tightened up, and instruments and voices are more present and lifelike. The immediacy of the new sound makes focusing attention on other tasks a challenge (in a good way). Performances sound live.

For me, Live Dirac is the critical icing on the cake. Anyone else correcting their LM508?

22. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

The LM amps will have no trouble driving Audio Note E speakers - I ran the 219IA for years with my Audio Note E/Lx speakers. LM amps are typically the higher output tube designs while Audio Note amps are generally the DHT triodes so they give you a bit of a different perspective. Generally, if you can afford the Audio Note amps - and you don't need as much power (and you don't with the AN E) then I would go with Audio Note amplifiers.

I think the integrated amp to beat for your AN E would be the new Audio Note Meishu 300B Tonmeister. It is the best 300B integrated I've ever heard. I don't know what the price range is on them as there are 6 versions of it.

AN E speakers are happy with 7 watts per channel. The New Meishu Tonmeister is, to be blunt, spectacular. I suspect the price would range between $8k to $20k depending on the options. It is also generally cheaper to operate over the long haul than bigger hotter high power output tubes. So factor in the running costs when you choose your amplifiers. But I think all of the LM amps will drive AN speakers well and sound and look good doing it.

23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Begs the question as to why that'd be needed if the room's already treated.

24. brody836

brody836 Member

If have a microphone and REW you can see the response of your well treated room. Spoiler alert, it's far from perfect. If you factor in lack of widband phase coherence and the built in inaccuracies from the crossover, voila, you have a smeared, muddy soundstage. Room nulls and first reflection responses off the side walls and ceiling cannot be calibrated away, hence the need to treat a room and calibrate.

Room Correction Revisited

25. Paopawdecarabao

Does anyone know the Amp value for the fuse of the Lm 805ia?