New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

I did not. I was holding off until you all got yours. I don't need the tube right now so I figured it made sense to see what you all thought first.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I've had one for a while. There are a handful of people who got one in this thread and one of latest people to order one just got a 2nd one. Suffice it to say it's the very best tube for that position, bar none. That has been my experience as well.

3. IGD Positive

I'm talking about that specific source. I know it's supposedly the best tube for that type.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

They've been in business for quite a number of years and their eBay profile has over 27K feedback entries with 100% positive rating. Should be reliable.

5. IGD Positive

Cool. If they really have that many of that tube, I can wait a few days to see if these folks get what they expect. They didn't reply to my email so I'd rather wait.

6. Strat-Mangler

Sorry to hear that. Maybe it's the time difference? Or perhaps they're very busy, who knows? If the email was sent a week ago, I would find that puzzling as well. From memory, I did send an inquiry via eBay and remember it took a couple of days before I heard back.

I can definitely assure you the amp truly comes alive with that tube. Biggest most obvious and terrific difference I experienced in regards to tube rolling in this amp. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. Same goes for @Chris Amott :righton:

IGD Positive likes this.
  7. IGD Positive

Yeah I'm not writing them off because they haven't responded yet. It could be any number of things. I'll wait a few more days and see if they get back to me. If they do, I have no hesitation ordering from them.

8. Chris Amott

Chris Amott Forum Resident

They certainly shipped quickly. The price was $140 on their own site, vs $250 on eBay/Reverb. Same pics, and serial #, test results in description. That was why i was interested in what @tkong got. Since then the eBay listing was removed, Reverb still up. So hard to say what stock he actually had/has ... will let you know when mine arrives.

9. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

No notice of shipping information yet.

Did you pay additional shipping cost?

10. Chris Amott

No just the $140 all in. My order was updated with a DHL tracking # less than 5 hrs after ordering. That was late Sunday/early Monday.

11. Strat-Mangler

$140 all in is an amazing price! Routinely see these for $200-250!

12. thomaskong

I placed an order through Paypal on Tuesday.

But no update of shipping yet.

13. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

Can anyone care to share the link to this source of Mullard ECC35s. I've rediscovered the virtues of this tube and settled on it in place of others with my new favorite 300B, the Psvane Acme 300B. Thanks to @thomaskong for encouraging me to try this tube in the amp. For my use case, I prefer it to the Elrog 300Bs I've loved for a while now. The Mullards complement the Acme 300Bs better than they did the Elrogs. I'd like to get spares.

thomaskong likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

I suspect the combination of the Elrog with the Mullard made it too lush and slow, syrupy possibly?

15. thomaskong

I am happy that you like Acme 300B as well.

I sent an email to seller of ECC35 yesterday but no response yet.

140$ is good but please wait until I get this matter settled and get the tube in good condition.

I am getting it as backup.

16. thomaskong

I just got email of confirmation processing the order.

The seller must have been out of town.

If you receive your tube sometime next week, please post it.

17. IGD Positive

I found a Mullard ECC35 on eBay for $150 shipped last week and it got here last night. Giving my system a listen right now before I put it in to see if I can judge the difference later on.

18. Chris Amott

Well, after quickly shipping 1 week ago, my ECC35 has disappeared into the nether somewhere between New Delhi and the USA ...

19. Strat-Mangler

I wouldn't worry about it. Tracking is an inaccurate process. The one time in my life I thought I had lost a package, it just took an unnaturally long time to get here.

Chris Amott likes this.
  20. IGD Positive

I put in the ECC35 yesterday and listened for about two hours. I have to admit that it wasn't a world of difference compared to the Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY that I got from Strat-Mangler. The biggest noticeable difference was that the soundstage seemed a bit wider to me but I don't know if that was just my mind playing tricks. I recognize at this point that my speakers are actually the weak link in the chain and that maybe I would be able to realize more gains with a better pair of speakers but that isn't in the cards while I'm still living in an apartment. Either way, I'm happy with it and at least now I have a few tubes to play with. Next is going to be replacing the 6SN7s.

21. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Hello guys
    How long (hs) should an 805 tube last? I mean considering they are power tubes.

Im thinking about buying the Psvane 805 ACME, but if they shouldnt last at least 5.000 hs, I dont know if Im willing to pay that much.

22. Chris Amott

So I received my Mullard brown base ECC35 today. 2 weeks from initial ship date. Was very well packaged. Has the same 'serial #' sticker on it as in the ad pics so curious to see what @thomaskong receives.

Have been playing it a bit and two impressions stand out:

a) very musical and flowing ...
    b) top end rolled off a bit? I usually have a small high shelf PEQ set for this system - via Roon and more about my lively room than most gear - and I have decided to turn it off for now ...

Unclear on burn-in time as apparently all Mullards were burned-in at the factory. My tube had two little grey burn spots on the top so I am unclear if this is from factory tube burn-in or if it's not really a 'new' NOS tube (and the lettering is highly faded, but did have an original mullard box ... )

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    thomaskong and Strat-Mangler like this.
  23. thomaskong

Mine may had been shipped a week ago.

Thus I may have to wait one more week.

Most Nos tubes are used, not new.

After I receive it, I will compare it with one that I had been using for more than a year.

24. IGD Positive

If it is a used tube, they should list it as such. On the site, they list it as True NOS. Again, not saying it isn't NOS but I understand there's a lot of trickery in the tube world these days in terms of tubes that test as NOS and tubes that are true NOS.

Made in Gt.Britain
    Tested on Amplitrex AT1000
    Advance Digital Tube Tester
    Gm Test Results
    Sr.no.=2612001, T1 =1600, T2=1400;
    Life Calculation:100%
    Test as NOS: Yes
    True NOS: Yes

25. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Agreed.. New Old Stock means NEW.. if its used, its just used.

IGD Positive likes this.