New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

Congrats on the acquisition. I enjoyed my time using EML 300B XLSs in the 508ia. The one thing I really miss about them is their soundstage and scale.

Ontheone and Strat-Mangler like this.
  2. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Hi guys
    Has anyone tried Golden Dragons 805?

They are somehow cheap (about U$S 50/70 each plus shipping) and, if they are as good as their 300B tubes for the price, they could be a good alternative.

3. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

We are looking for someone to try out the Linlai 805DG. *hint* *hint*

Chris Amott likes this.
  4. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Well, for U$S 900 plus shipping and import taxes we have many options.

A good finding would be a very good 805 tube under U$S 300 or so. I'm looking a back up for my ACMEs, not something more expensive.

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

BTW, which 6SN7s are you using currently?

6. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

Most of the time I will use Sylvania VT231. When I am in a mellower mood, I switch to Mullard CV181.

7. Strat-Mangler

No issues using the CV181s? Thought they might cause problems due to not being direct replacements for 6SN7s.

8. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

I used the Shuguang black treasures cv181 many hours with out any issues whatsoever.

Should I be worried? Shouldn't be the same or am I missing something? Are there different CV181 tubes?

9. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

not in this case. In the 508IA it is a cathode follower to drive the 300B so the difference is not significant.

I have some amps which it totally doesn't work.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  10. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

those Chinese types are not true CV181. They are just 6SN7 and merely using the CV181 name.

The real Mullard CV181/ECC32 have 50% more gain than regular 6SN7, and the sound is completely different than any other 6SN7. Deep and wide sound stage, but unfortunately being a Mullard it is a bit on the syrupy side. So need to balance it with some brighter tube.

11. Strat-Mangler

Wondering if having Mullards in the 6SN7 slots as well as in the 6SL7 position might be too mellow or too much of a good thing.

12. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

too mellow for sure. Although having a row of ECC35 + ECC32 looks might impressive! I usually swap back the Sylvania VT229 to get a bit more in the top end.

13. Strat-Mangler

How about the Tungsol 6SU7GTY?

14. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

I don't have one.

15. Strat-Mangler

Wonder what kind of effect the CV181 have VS the ECC35. Or the ECC33 in contrast to the CV181.

16. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

The CV181 has a much larger effect on the sound. Anyone even without trained ears will hear the difference. Darker, wider, more 3D.

ECC35 while has difference, is not as large.

never tried ECC33. They seems really really rare.

17. Strat-Mangler

I had some. They were like the Tung-Sol 6SN7GT with round plates but slightly warmer.

jmpsmash likes this.
  18. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Adding the EML 300B-XLS's provided enhanced & deeper bass extension, overall weight and greater depth but started making me crave just a bit more air. I swapped out the CBS Halytron 6SN7's I was using for my WWII-era RCA smoked glass VT231's and got exactly what I was looking for. Really enjoying the current tube combo - RCA 805s, EML 300's, RCA VT231 6SN7's and Mullard ECC35. Just a gorgeous sound right now listening at mid-80's dB levels with lowest NFB on 16 ohm taps through my O/96's. For the first time since getting the LM805ia I'm not craving a new tube to try! ha.

[​IMG]

19. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

I am looking to sell my Acme 805s and a spare set of Acme 300Bs. Please ping me if interested.

20. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Why do you sell them and how much do you ask for them?

21. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

Selling to fund the merry-go-round which is audiofoolery.

Acme 805s are great but I'm really liking the RCA 805s so I don't want to hold on to these. As @Thomas K opined - some might prefer the Acme 805s to the RCAs. I have two sets of Acme 300Bs - one pair was used in my DAC. It's been sitting unused for a while since it hasn't been my preferred output tube in my DAC for sometime now. It is my preferred 300B in the Line Magnetic amp so someone can get to experience it if they want.

Please PM me to talk about price.

22. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

I was under the impression the ECC33 was incompatible with this amp. Maybe it was more of a gain incompatibility that I read about but this was a while ago. It may be worth looking into on my end.

23. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

ECC33 is in between 6SN7 and ECC32. closer to 6SN7 than it is to ECC32. They don't work on all amps that need 6SN7 but I know the ECC32 works for the 508IA. I haven't tried ECC33.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  24. Strat-Mangler

You're thinking of the ECC32. The ECC33 is a direct 6SN7 replacement. I've owned a pair of ECC33s before and they worked perfectly.

25. adamaley

adamaley Forum Resident

That might be it. How would you characterize their sound?